DannyStewart.com Forums

DannyStewart.com Forums (https://forums.dannystewart.com/index.php)
-   Radiophonic Workshop (https://forums.dannystewart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   Visit with Dominic Glynn (https://forums.dannystewart.com/showthread.php?t=8302)

Danny Stewart April 4, 2007 2:48 PM

Visit with Dominic Glynn

1 Attachment(s)
Well, Pete and I visited Dominic Glynn today, and it was awesome. He's such a nice guy, and hanging out with him at his studio was a real pleasure. We chatted and joked and reminisced about the past and had a fantastic time. Here's the picture I promised all of you (from left to right, it's Dom, me, and Pete, in case all you silly people couldn't figure that out on your own). :P

Dalek104 April 4, 2007 2:54 PM

Wow! I bet you all had a really great time! :D

Who took the photo? :P

Danny Stewart April 4, 2007 2:59 PM

We had a fantastic time, thanks. :)

My camera's self-timer took the photo, with a little help from Dom's shelf. :P

Dalek104 April 4, 2007 3:03 PM

Is that one of Dom's synthesisers I see in the corner? :D

Danny Stewart April 4, 2007 3:05 PM

Nope, that's his gigantic mixing desk. :P

Dalek104 April 4, 2007 3:07 PM

Did you get to listen to anything? :)

Danny Stewart April 4, 2007 3:10 PM

I did indeed. I got to hear some of the film score he's working on and a version of the Doctor Who theme he did back in 1988 that never got used! Not to mention some super secret material that I really shouldn't be telling anyone about but may or may not be Paul Hartnoll related. :P

Dalek104 April 4, 2007 3:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart (Post 33282)
I did indeed. I got to hear some of the film score he's working on and a version of the Doctor Who theme he did back in 1988 that never got used! Not to mention some super secret material that I really shouldn't be telling anyone about but may or may not be Paul Hartnoll related. :P

How absolutely fantastic that must've been! :D

Danny Stewart April 4, 2007 3:13 PM

It truly was. :D

Jez April 4, 2007 4:31 PM

How big's his studio? The biggest one I've been in was about the size as the side of a double decker bus (total room space, not including mixing desks or furniture etc.)

Ross Hendrie April 4, 2007 4:36 PM

Where is it he has his studio?

Sorry, I cant keep up with where you are.

Danny Stewart April 4, 2007 4:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jez (Post 33288)
How big's his studio? The biggest one I've been in was about the size as the side of a double decker bus (total room space, not including mixing desks or furniture etc.)

I'd say the actual studio space is about 4 x 6 meters. He tells me he's been getting rid of a lot of his external equipment lately because he's moving towards a mostly computer-based solution. You're welcome to see what the rest of his setup looks like... I took lots of photos. :P

Also, I may try to get him to stop by the forums later. Apparently he does a Q&A thing on Doctor Who Online so maybe I can get him to stop by here occasionally and answer questions from us folk too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross Hendrie (Post 33289)
Where is it he has his studio?

Sorry, I cant keep up with where you are.

He is based out of Peterborough. It was a two-hour drive from where I'm staying, but definitely worth it! :)

Dalek104 April 4, 2007 4:43 PM

Thanks for the pictures! :) And it would be really nice for him to stop by!

Ross Hendrie April 4, 2007 4:46 PM

lol Nice, weights randomly sitting on his desk.

Cool equipment, no idea what any of it is but still. :P

MI7 April 4, 2007 5:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart (Post 33280)
Nope, that's his gigantic mixing desk. :P

Hate to break it to you d00d but he's been lying to you, that's actually a VCR:

http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/1...ingdeckrp0.jpg

Glad you had a good time.

Danny Stewart April 4, 2007 5:17 PM

I didn't mean the VCR. I meant the gigantic mixing desk. Silly. :P

The Moonlit Door April 4, 2007 6:59 PM

Quote:

I did indeed. I got to hear some of the film score he's working on and a version of the Doctor Who theme he did back in 1988 that never got used!

Interesting.

Quote:

Not to mention some super secret material that I really shouldn't be telling anyone about but may or may not be Paul Hartnoll related. :P

Oh, that sounds good. I really liked Doctor?, just wished it was more title music-like.

Danny Stewart April 4, 2007 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Moonlit Door (Post 33299)
Interesting.

Indeed. I had never heard anything about such a project, but Dom explained that the BBC apparently gave the option of making a film to Greenlight Studios or something, and it made it far enough to have a test theme composed for it! Perhaps this warrants more research...

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Moonlit Door (Post 33299)
Oh, that sounds good. I really liked Doctor?, just wished it was more title music-like.

It was interesting, to say the least. I'd really like to say more but I feel I have already violated Dom's trust even by attesting to what I have thus far. Everyone please forget. :P

Ronnie Rowlands April 7, 2007 9:15 AM

Did you ask Dom to join this place? It would be nice to have some fame around here.

Jez April 7, 2007 9:47 AM

Orbital were always pioneers. They were to techno what Kraftwerk were to electronica in the 60s! Oh how I miss Orbital. :(