Thread: Was it fun
View Single Post
Old August 3, 2007, 12:19 PM
Josef Kenny (Offline)
It's a social experiment.

Yes, the Trial of a Timelord theme is probably in my top 3, which I all consider equal to each other as I can never decide between the Derbyshire theme, the Howell theme and the Glynn theme.

The Trial theme is sometimes criticized for not having a solid enough bassline and (in the words of somebody who I can't remember) "sounding like a wet kipper being slapped against a wardrobe" (!). But I think that that is mainly the fault of the slightly shoddy way that it was edited into the actual episodes and the amount of pressure that was put on the production team of Doctor Who at that point. I also think people criticize it because it was the theme at a time when Doctor Who was slightly waning in popularity, and of course afterwards it went on hiatus for a while.

To me, the sort of theme that today's Doctor Who needs should be one like the Glynn theme; I do find that Murray Gold's version is a bit flat and imprecise in some parts and to me lacks the sort of "How did they do that? Wow that sounds really out of this world" of the previous themes; and it's just not scary enough.

Last edited by Josef Kenny; August 3, 2007 at 12:20 PM Reason: add paragraphing