View Single Post
Old March 25, 2007, 11:40 AM
MI7 (Offline)
Pex Lives

Originally Posted by The Moonlit Door View Post
How can it be totally new when he's had to incorporate someone else's work? I understand what you're both saying about the quantity of new material in Gold's mix making it more than a remix — I agree. I used his theme as an example because due to the project's requirements, he had to
incorporate someone else's work, whereas with David Arnold, he didn't.

In any case, what I really wanted to know was this:
Originally it was a lot less like "someone else's work" - Russell T. Davies told him to go back and make it more like the original after he showed his original mix.

And no, there has been no totally original arrangements. If it was a "totally original arrangement" it wouldn't be the Doctor Who theme as written by Ron Grainer and realised by Delia Derbyshire, would it?

Oh and I hated David Arnold's theme (which is odd, since I love all the work he's done with James Bond) worst of the bunch next to Keff's....out of interest, which is your least favourite? (Arnold's wasn't a "totally new arrangement", either, if it was a totally new arrangement it would go melody 2, middle 8, melody 1, melody 1 or something. It still followed the tried and tested theme pattern, just with a techno/grungey sound. )