Thread: Which theme?
View Single Post
Old February 6, 2008, 11:35 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dominic Glynn View Post
Well actually guys, I can't remember what I said before on this, but I guess I would have said it was the original '63 version that most inspired me. JNT supplied me with a reel of 1/4 inch tape containing all the previous versions to refer to, and it was the pure magic of Delia Derbyshire's totally innovative recording that was really daunting - how could anyone follow that?
It doesn't surprise me that your biggest inspiration was the 1963 theme -- and you wouldn't be the first person it inspired (nor the last)!

However I always speculated that the 1967 (Troughton-era) theme gave you at least a few of your ideas. For one thing, it marked the debut of the electronic spangles, which you used in your version. In addition, your theme's bassline (at least on the full-length version) has a subtle delay effect reminiscent of that on the 1967 version of the theme (although yours is much less pronounced). There are a few other things here and there that always made me think you referred back to the 1967 version most often, but perhaps I'm wrong. Does that sound right?