View Single Post
Old January 31, 2009, 12:39 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Moonlit Door View Post
These are fantastic, it's so interesting to hear the beginnings of this version of the theme. I'm sure Dominic Glynn is already aware of how much we appreciate being given the chance to hear these tracks, and they will certainly be kept as an exclusive to this site.
Thank you very much.

Originally Posted by The Moonlit Door View Post
I actually prefer his bassline and the more ominous opening of the first demo to the one that ended up being used on the series. This demo is ethereal just the same, but more eerie and I love that to bits! The second demo in a way sounds like it wasn't really needed — everything was there and working well in the first one.
I agree with you about both demos. I was impressed by the first demo when I heard it as well, and thought that only the second demo sounded weak.

Here is an interesting fact, by the way... both of Dom's demo versions of the themes contain two separate bassline tracks, each of which has a somewhat different sound that combines with the other to produce the final sound. In Dom's final opening theme, there is only one bassline track. (This is especially interesting because the demo versions span only five tracks. The final themes were done on an 8-track, with one of the tracks functioning as a metronome and the rest all being used for the theme.)

Since I now have access to all of Dom's original multitracks, I am actually working on producing a hybrid version combining his first demo with the final opening theme used on the series.

In the meantime, here is a slightly tweaked version of the first demo. I put significantly more reverb on the track containing the white noise bursts, and quieted them down in the mix.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 DG Demo 1 v2.mp3 (1.78 MB, 6 views)