View Single Post
Old December 20, 2008, 9:22 PM
BritCanuck (Offline)

Originally Posted by James P. View Post
You really need to make a version of Keff's theme. Imagine what wonders you could do!
Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
...From what I understand, Keff's original multitrack no longer exists, so there isn't anything I could do anyway. The only option left is recreation, which is something I'm working on (albeit at a very slow pace).

...I just heard back from Dom about this. Apparently the multitrack for his extended theme was kept by the studio at which he recorded it, and then recorded over and thrown away decades ago...That means everything that was done for the extended theme is lost forever.
What kind of studio doesn't bother to archive its own treasured recordings?
(besides BBC and the ongoing Missing Episodes saga)

The studio itself no longer even exists today.
Your Honors, the Prosecution rests.

...Therefore the responsibility now falls to me to somehow produce an extended master without using any of the original source materials. I believe I'm going to re-record the bassline on the Juno-6 and use that as a starting point for the final mix.

(I also heard back about Dom's use of the Prophet 5... he does not believe he solely used the Prophet 5 for the new bassline. Instead he thinks it more likely that he recorded a new bassline from the Juno and then layered it with the Prophet to boost the low end. I'm going to explore this further when I have a chance.)
I know the sound effects from the Keff McCulloch version are a simple and tiny embellishment (whoosh, whoosh, clang and a bit of the TARDIS here and there pretty much sums it up - it's almost Goldesque), but if you want help recreating those, BBC added a sound-effects-only version of the opening and closing titles on the "Curse of Fenric" R1 DVD. It's embedded into the music only audio option for episode three, I think. Most of the sound effects are there clean, without the theme music in the way (there is a little bit of overlap with the incidental music). If you decide to recreate the sound effects for your remix, hopefully that will help.