2/10 - Horrible 2 10.00%
1/10 - Unwatchable 1 5.00%
0/10 - I have lost faith in humanity 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 6, 2008, 7:52 AM
Ronnie Rowlands (Offline)
Look who's back!

Hmm, I didn't think it was THAT bad, but mediocre. Mainly because of the plot point of how this planet vanished. "Oh politics is none of MY business." Wtf is that? That was just plain laziness. I'm also wondering how these people didn't die as soon as these little creatures crawled out of them. Presumably they were moving quite freely inside their bodies and that should have disrupted their major organs, which would have caused a lot of pain, and not the "wtf" reaction that the fatties gave. Also, in a S2 episode, Mickey Smith can hear the engines of the TARDIS reverberating and echoing through the streets from quite far away iirc, so why couldn't Donna hear the TARDIS materializing a few yards behind her when she got out of the car?

Other than the plot point my only other gripes were minor things, for example, "this isn't the 1980s anymore, no one is unemployed except you!" RTD clearly does not watch the Jeremy Kyle Show. Secondly, Foster told her it took her while to find the fattest nation in the world, cheeky! I'd have thought America was a better bet. And another thing I found odd was the scene where the Doc causes a stunning screech with the 2 sonic devices, how was Donna able to instantly run off after he'd stopped while the guards and Foster were still doubled over?

I actually thought that the cast were brilliant, except for Foster. I think it is well established that camp villains don't work in new Who (See Max Capricorn, The Abzorbaloff), I mean, glasses and turning round on the rotating chair, how cliched is that?

Tate was better than I expected, they really toned her character down and I thought the scene where she was discussing her life with her Granddad was excellent. David Tennant was at his best here, and this is what he should be like when he is being funny, not shouty and over the top. I laughed a lot at his early line "Health and safety.... Film crew," but I thought Tate's miming through the window and the bobbing heads was a bit much.

I also don't think the music was too bad, and I rather enjoyed the 'Elevator' style music at the start.

I'd give it 5 out of 10 for the plot holes, but the 5 comes from the solid cast.

Next week's does look awesome. A really good era to travel to.

Oh and Stutomo, what you got with the credits there is as good as you're gonna get nowadays, you're lucky they weren't squashed to 1/4 of the screen while the rest was taken up by adverts. They recently bought out new guidelines for credits and what you can and can't do with them, and an emphasis on the "can't."

Last edited by Ronnie Rowlands; April 6, 2008 at 7:55 AM
Old April 6, 2008, 8:26 AM
stutomo (Offline)

Yeah good point, at least there were no adverts squashing them.

RIP Dalek Fred

Old April 6, 2008, 8:42 AM
Look who's back!

Nope. Instead they were spoken over the entire duration of the closing theme.
Old April 6, 2008, 10:51 AM
Josef Kenny (Offline)
It's a social experiment.

Wow. I've just finished watching it (on VHS and iPlayer on my PC simultaneously, as I couldn't decide which one I preferred) and to be honest, I thought it was... well... shit. In my opinion it serves as a prime example of how RTD thinks he can build a plot out of sections like Lego blocks, with his usual liberal peppering of frankly awful plot devices and cringeworthy one-liners. It had no 'soul' to it whatsoever. It felt like even the production team were loosing faith, as there were several scenes that appeared to be quite lazily filmed, and the silent conversation between Donna and the Doctor went on for way too long. I don't know if it was meant to be as funny as it was obviously intended to be, but I didn't find it entertaining. This has sort of reaffirmed the idea in me that Doctor Who really isn't going anywhere. It's still got the same cliché's, the same plotlines, the same RTDish banging on about humanity and the "what's happening to Earth all of a sudden! All these aliens! First the [...] then the [...] then the [...] then the spaceship over Buckingham Palace!" which is most definitely getting old very quickly in my opinion.

Why can't we have Doctor Who in space for once? And by 'once', I mean 'for the majority of the show'.

My thoughts on this episode summed up in one line:

"Get Steven Moffat"
Old April 6, 2008, 12:49 PM
Marinedalek (Offline)
a.k.a. Pete

Walking into this episode slightly apprehensive, but with an open mind resulted in me being pleasantly surprised. My thoughts in random order; Bernard Cribbins was naturally brilliant as Donna's Grandad - now onto Donna. A little OTT but then some people just are. As always David Tennant was excellent and his Doctor was dignified at all times - a good offset for an otherwise slightly comedic episode.

The Adipose were slightly clumsily realised, but a damn sight better than the stand-in teddy-bear affairs in Confidential! Music got a bit repetetive at times and the re-used cues stood out like a sore thumb (particularly in the last few scenes outside the TARDIS).

The Theme. Personally I think it's an improvement on the Voyage of the Damned mix, as the parts are more distinct and clear cut, rather than lost in a vague distorted mush. However I must of course subtract 50 points for not using the Derbyshire bassline and not retuning/conforming to the Derbyshire melodies.

Looking forward to next episode, and far from giving up on the series at this point.
Old April 6, 2008, 12:57 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

Ronny I think the reason Donna didn't hear the TARDIS because it wasn't crash landing unlike in The Christmas Invasion where Mickey and Jackie heard it from miles off (at least thats what RTD would say).

I thought Sarah Lancashire made Miss.Foster a great character!
Old April 6, 2008, 12:59 PM
Look who's back!

Originally Posted by Jamie Minty View Post
Ronny I think the reason Donna didn't hear the TARDIS because it wasn't crash landing unlike in The Christmas Invasion where Mickey and Jackie heard it from miles off (at least thats what RTD would say).

I thought Sarah Lancashire made Miss.Foster a great character!
No, I'm not talking about the Christmas invasion, Jamy. I'm talking about another episode, possibly the first Cybermen serial from S2.
Old April 6, 2008, 2:51 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by stutomo View Post
I liked this episode.
I'm sorry.

I think it was more enjoyable than Love and Monsters. To say its 10 times worse is just silly but thats my opinion.
Well it's not my opinion.

I wouldn't give up on the series yet.
Too late.

I don't understand why you think its so bad.
And I don't understand how you couldn't.

Maybe it's because I haven't seen much of the old Doctor Who so I can't really compare but I think you take it too seriously.
The new series can stand on its own and does not need to be compared to the old series. However it's just horrible television, compared or not compared. I believe Doctor Who is best taken seriously. People are probably going to find that silly, but I watch it for serious entertainment. That's the show I love. I don't care about the campness or the bad sets or effects. I watch it because I love the idea behind it, and I love the characters and the storylines. But I just can't love this new impostor calling himself the Doctor, or the utterly ridiculous and frankly insulting situations he continually finds himself in.

I liked how the episode ended and the appearance of Rose was brilliant.
The appearance of Rose literally almost made me throw up.

Originally Posted by Marinedalek View Post
Walking into this episode slightly apprehensive, but with an open mind resulted in me being pleasantly surprised.
That's how I walked into the episode as well. I had low expectations but I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. It left me nauseous regardless.

Originally Posted by Marinedalek View Post
Looking forward to next episode, and far from giving up on the series at this point.
Although I thought next week's episode looked alright, I am genuinely unable to understand how you enjoyed this week's drivel. It just baffles me.
Old April 6, 2008, 3:52 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowlands View Post
No, I'm not talking about the Christmas invasion, Jamy. I'm talking about another episode, possibly the first Cybermen serial from S2.
Well i remember him hearing it in The Christmas Invasion over the sound of hammering and the radio on full blast. It wouldn't of been Rise of the Cybermen though because the TARDIS was broken the whole way through! Maybe its something in GITF Rony?

EDIT: Just checked and Mickey hears it from at least the length of a road away in Parting of the Ways but thats S1.
Old April 6, 2008, 4:16 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

I'm going to download it now and see how I feel about it. I'll let you know if I regurgitate.

I believe every show has its ups and downs. You've got to admit the new series reached a peak during Series 3. (not counting DiM and the finale) It may just be descending during Series 4. I didn't particularly enjoy 1 so maybe that's how this is going to be for me...

Originally Posted by stutomo
I liked this episode. I think it was more enjoyable than Love and Monsters. To say its 10 times worse is just silly but thats my opinion. I wouldn't give up on the series yet. I don't understand why you think its so bad. Maybe it's because I haven't seen much of the old Doctor Who so I can't really compare but I think you take it too seriously. My only problems with the new series is the new theme tune and the fast credits. I liked how the episode ended and the appearance of Rose was brilliant. I look forward to the rest of the series.
While I have yet to see this episode I can already say this: Not everyone can be the same. If Danny does react this harshly than that's all there is to it, and continued attempts to watch the new series may unhealthy. I think it was a wise move on his part.
Old April 6, 2008, 6:15 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Superkid11 View Post
I believe every show has its ups and downs. You've got to admit the new series reached a peak during Series 3. (not counting DiM and the finale) It may just be descending during Series 4.
Absolutely. I greatly enjoyed the vast majority of series 3, especially "Smith and Jones" (even though RTD wrote it), "The Lazarus Experiment," "42," the "Human Nature" two-parter, and of course, "Blink." Even "Utopia" was good for the most part. Unfortunately now it seems RTD is making the show he really wants -- one that I cannot identify with or appreciate at all.

Originally Posted by Superkid11 View Post
While I have yet to see this episode I can already say this: Not everyone can be the same. If Danny does react this harshly than that's all there is to it, and continued attempts to watch the new series may unhealthy. I think it was a wise move on his part.
Agreed. Hence my decision. I will watch anything by Steven Moffat, but beyond that, I'm probably just going to skim through these episodes in advance to see if they look like utter crap (skimming through "Partners in Crime" would have told me to steer well clear) and if they do then skip them. I can't bear to see this done to a show I grew up loving.
Old April 6, 2008, 6:34 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

The least Danny can do is just see what the rest of us think over the course of the series. So he won't need to watch it.
Old April 6, 2008, 7:08 PM
BritCanuck (Offline)

Being in Canada, I haven't seen this episode in its entirety yet, but I'm browsing through a few clips on YouTube. Here's what one person thinks the Doctor and Donna are saying during the mimed conversation scene.

(mimed/mouthed unless otherwise indicated)

Doctor: Donna?
Donna: Doctor!
Doctor: Wha--how?
Donna: Oh. My. God!
Doctor: How?
Donna: It's me!
Doctor: Yes, I can see that.
Donna: Oh, this is brilliant!
Doctor: What the heck are you doing there?
Donna: I was looking for you!
Doctor: What for?
Donna: I was reading all these things [who knows what she's trying to say here?] ...and they were talking... and you! (realizes they've been spotted)
Miss Foster: (spoken) Are we interrupting you?
Doctor: Donna, run!
Miss Foster: (spoken) Get her. And him.

"Avon Calling." "Nice Try."

Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowlands View Post
Altered by Recurring Villain
Good, but replace the third line with something like "but I'm on hand to save the day" so that blah de blah wibble dobble lexicon gibberish.

Last edited by BritCanuck; April 6, 2008 at 7:09 PM Reason: Correction
Old April 6, 2008, 7:22 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by BritCanuck View Post
Doctor: What the heck are you doing there?
I'm pretty sure it was hell, not heck.

Originally Posted by BritCanuck View Post
Donna: I was reading all these things [who knows what she's trying to say here?]
It's "I was reading all these things on the internet."
Old April 7, 2008, 5:33 AM
Recurring Villain (Offline)
biggus dickus

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
I was literally brought to tears by the time this episode ended[...]
Uh... literal but nonetheless metaphorical tears...

...right?

Originally Posted by Rat Souffle View Post
My thoughts on this episode summed up in one line:

"Get Steven Moffat"
+ 1

Not at all benevolent dictator and I don't need to sign my posts cause my name is up there at the top.
Old April 7, 2008, 6:14 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Recurring Villain View Post
Uh... literal but nonetheless metaphorical tears...

...right?
Correct, sir.
Old April 7, 2008, 2:22 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

I didn't think it was that silly... the only silly bit was the look of the fat aliens. The rest was alright...

I thought it was a good episode, I dont understand why people are reacting so badly.

Old April 7, 2008, 3:36 PM
Kody (Offline)
Admin

Well, time for some random thoughts.

Hate the new music, die in a bloody fire. I had to go listen to a few of the old tracks to cleanse my head, like the tom baker then peter davidson era.

The episode as a whole I found barely passing, then again I always try to brush over the first episode of each series, they have high moments but are usually.. meh. This upcoming episode looks so much better it's not even funny.

What I find amusing, though, is out of all the complaints I see people make about Partners in Crime.. no one has mentioned the two things that irked me! Wondering now if I'm alone in this.. >.>

Overuse of the damn sonic screwdriver.

People say the new series does this a lot, I chuckle, sometimes agree with it, sometimes not.. I do love the thing a lot.

But in this episode, I was expecting him to start making coffee with the damn thing. I mean come on, he used it.. how many times? Apparently it even split the ropes that bound the one reporter?

Oh and the fact the building was 'deadlocked'. Ahh, deadlock seal, the one thing they love to use when the sonic is being waved about way to much.. we don't even really know what deadlocked is, just that it means "Crap, can't use the sonic, got to think of something else."

Those were honestly some of my biggest complaints.

Onto related topics.. RTD.. <sigh>

My opinion has gone down about him rapidly, but I'm in the middle of watching the first confidential for the new season and DEAR LORD.

The man is so freeking full of himself in the read-through of the episode, you can tell that even David and Catherine seem to be sick of him. -.-

Oh and about the mime sequence, they show the script in it as well for a brief moment.

1. Doctor indeed says 'hell' instead of heck.

2. The very long sequence Donna mimes is:

"I, came here, trouble, read about it, internet, I thought, trouble = you! And this place is weird! Pills! So I hid. Back there. Crept along. Heard this lot. Looked. You! Cos they..."

"What's the point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes?" - The Fourth Doctor

Last edited by Kody; April 7, 2008 at 5:07 PM
Old April 7, 2008, 4:48 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Larren View Post
Hate the new music, die in a bloody fire. I had to go listen to a few of the old tracks to cleanse my head, like the tom baker then peter davidson era.
Thank you.

The episode as a whole I found barely passing, then again I always try to brush over the first episode of each series, they have high moments but are usually.. meh.
No series opener has yet been as bad as this one.

This upcoming episode looks so much better it's not even funny.
Very true.

What I find amusing, though, is out of all the complaints I see people make about Partners in Crime.. no one has mentioned the two things that irked me! Wondering now if I'm alone in this.. >.>

Overuse of the damn sonic screwdriver.

Oh and the fact the building was 'deadlocked'.
You're not alone in those at all. I hated when he used the sonic screwdriver to undo the ropes around the reporter, and I literally cringed when the word "deadlock" popped up.

My opinion has gone down about him rapidly, but I'm in the middle of watching the first confidential for the new season and DEAR LORD.

The man is so freeking full of himself in the read-through of the episode, you can tell that even David and Donna seem to be sick of him. -.-
It doesn't surprise me at all.
Old April 10, 2008, 2:12 PM
Doodah (Offline)

OK, I decided that I disliked this episode so much, that I'd go slag it off here , a place which I have visited a lot, but not posted in much in a loooong time...

I mean I know that this was a series opener, and to be honest, New Earth being one example, they are generally nothing on what comes towards the end of the series... but still... this episode just had me rolling my eyes and cringing all the way through...

So here is a long list of things I hated during this episode:

The 'villains' - Doctor Who has almost coined the catchphrase over the year of 'Now's the time to go and hide behind the sofa', but this last episode was truly pathetic. Nothing in this episode could have scared even a four year old girl with a nervous disposition never mind anyone getting towards their late teens (me), to whom the series has always appealed to before.

The plot as a whole - Oh my god... What happened to the philosophy of Doctor Who! What happened to the storylines such as The Girl in the Fireplace or The Empty Child, which carried notes of seriousness along with the mental stuff that appeals to the younger ones. There were no little jokes that are usually put in here and there that make the adults laugh which the children do not understand, and the whole episode looked as if it should have been shown at about 7 in the morning along with the other childrens programs and not on prime time TV.

The pause before Foster falls and dies - What the hell!? What - the - hell!? Am I watching Road Runner! No! Why did they put that in? it just undermines anything remotely serious about death, which links nicely to my point above, where as the seriousness and philosophy of Doctor Who gone?

Alien tractor beams - Can Doctor Who get more cheesy than this?

The music - Usually, I love Murray's work in Doctor Who, however the only pieces of music I liked during this episode were the ones composed for series 3. The new stuff all seems to be crap! How has Murray been allowed to get away with this? I really hate Donna's Theme and I heartily agree with those who say that it belongs more in a cartoon than in Doctor Who, as did most of the other elements of this episode.

In the end I gave this episode a 3/10 mainly because I liked how Donna was toned down from the highly irritating nag from The Runaway Bride and was impressed by Rose's cameo otherwise it would have been a highly deserved 1/10. I am getting a tad fed up of Rose though. I'm going to be interested in how Rose gets back when we had already established that it was 'impossible' to break between dimensions, and will probably be irritated further by some stupid explanation that Davies offers.

All we can do I suppose is hope and pray that this series is going to get better... If not, then maybe by the end of it I will be thankful for the lack of episodes next year instead of annoyed. Anyways thats got that off my chest...

On another note, a challenge for you - spot how many mobile phones there are in the scene where all the Adipose are released. What do you do when the earth is being invaded by thousands of little fat people? Phone your mum. Yeah that's it...

Last edited by Doodah; April 10, 2008 at 2:17 PM
Closed Thread