1/10 - Unwatchable 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 17, 2006, 11:59 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Doctor Who 2x10 - "Love & Monsters"

Plot Summary
An ordinary man called Elton becomes obsessed with the Doctor and Rose and their mysterious blue box. But when Elton's investigations bring him to the attention of the enigmatic Victor Kennedy, his harmless hobby suddenly plunges him into a living nightmare.

Danny's Review
Wow... that was weird. And I must say, not very Doctor Who-ish. The plot was okay, but the execution was poor, and the little added bits (like the Doctor "saving" Ursula, and the whole concept of restoring the absorbed... eh... well, let's just put it that I liked "New Earth" better than this, and I called "New Earth" the worst of the series so far when it aired... 3/10.
Old June 18, 2006, 12:43 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

I agree with Danny, yes the monster was created by a 9 year old, and i praise Russell T Davies for continuing to make Doctor Who so interactive and something to get involved with, but did the really need to take the focus away from the Doctor? Was some of it quite nessasary? like part fo that recording? I can't really explain how dissappointed i am, and like Danny, i thought 'New Earth' was bad, but this takes the buiscuit quite sharply.
Old June 18, 2006, 12:53 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

And it gets worse, too. Here are some highlights of reviews posted on Outpost Gallifrey.

Before the episode even finished:

7:06 What the hell is this!?
7:14 14 mins in and for the first time I've lost interest in Doctor Who.
7:15 UTTER CACK- self-indulgent, dull , comedic nonsense.
7:17 Is it possible to rate this below zero, this is without a doubt the worst Doctor Who episode ever. Shame on you.
7:24 This is the first time I've ever been moved to vote before the episode even finished, but I just can't watch any more of this. 21 minutes in and the TV has been switched off. Dreadful.
Immediately after the episode:

7:46 What a load of sh*t. RTD get lost.
7:47 Utter s**t! And next week's doesn't look much better from the trailer either. If I could give it 0/5 then I would.
7:47 wot a load of rubbish. RTD has lost the plot inflicting this sh!t on us.
I would say that was the worst episode of Doctor Who ever, but you can't even call it Doctor Who.

Sad to see my favourite series being abused like this. This made the worst excesses of the JNT era look like golden age Doctor Who. I won't be watching the next series.

1 out of 5 and it didn't even deserve that.
THE WORST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN ON TELEVISION!

I am appauled by this story.

The plot was good and entertaining until russel T. davies remembered it was a doctor who script he was writing. Did the 6 year old write the story too?
The production of the episode was so low compared to the rest of the series, this has completely robbed my trust in the show.
I am 15 alright, and yes some older people may have found "hilarious" it will kill doctor who if another episode this bad is shown again, its not been taking on that well with my age group, but last week it actually was about to get there - lost it now I can tell you that.
What on earth was that load of crap?!
I feel so cheated. Its my birthday weekend too
I don't like "my" show messed about with this way OK?
An absolute disgrace and an affront to the Dr.Who franchise. To protect the continuity of the programme, RTD should be dropped for series three. He will destroy the legend for good if allowed to continue with his slip-shod parody of Sc-Fi - Sylvester McCoy revisited! Not what we want.....

For me this was an amalgataion of 'Confessions of a Dr.Who stalker' with 'Zygons live from the Blackpool Tower' - simply stupid and deriding of the fans - RTD must be sitting there luxuriating in the fact that he's p***ed us all off.

What's next? Ken Dodd as an alien diddy man, or Roy Chubby Brown menacing earth as a giant dildo -pleaseeeee, this is meant to be serious Sci-Fi, not an avenue for a camp producer to realise his every whim - someone, somewhere should be controlling RTD.

A step to far for me - bring back Terrance Dicks and Malcolm Hulke.
RTD go home!

complete and utter rubbish...ranks down there with Horns of Nimon, Delta and the Bunnymen, Happiness Patrol, Frontios and the Peter Davison Sea Devil story (can't remember the name of it)- without doubt the worst episode of the new Dr Who

I can't stand Peter Kay anyway so it always on to a loser with me, had they based the story around Jackie Tyler then it might have worked but not about some losers that I frankly don't give a s*** about one way or the other- the whole thing was a waste of 45 minutes of this series of Dr Who- also looked like a cheap episode as well, perhaps they blew the budget on Satan Pit/ Impossible Planet??
I challenge you to name something worse than tonights episode, apart from Big Brother that is? Oh drat I have undermined my own argument in the first sentence.
This will be the final nail in RTD's coffin. This was the worst episode of Doctor Who ever! even worse than any Sylvester McCoy episode. I would be very surprised if anybody tunes in next week. RTD is getting way beyond himself now and is in danger of ruining the show. Come on BBC, lets end get a new produser/script writer.
RTD has ruined Dr Who. And my message to him would be : "Get a gripe your overblown talentless buffoon"
Man who the hell did RTD sleep with to get this frickin' job. ??!?!?!?!
worst episode ever.

not funny.

crass acting.

worst of all, little or no doctor.

i'll even watch timelash again, but that story will never ever darken my screen

what a disappointment after last week's corker. how could anyone like this tripe...?

getting bored by any chance, Mr Davies? looks like sabotage to me.
I rated it 1 as there was no options to go further below a 1.

I dont feel "poor" can sum up that peice of turgid smeg. That was the single most crappiest episode of Doctor who EVER made. Ive seen better tv on CBBC. Give me a black and white recon of the lousiest missing story and i would rather watch that. I cant even be bothered to give the story any respect with a constructive criticisim because frankly it dosent deserve one! That was the most badly constructed brainless peice of crap ever made.

And people will defend this, whilst slagging off Pardise Towers and Delta and the Bannamen...
watched it with a open mind

verdict utter crap how anybody can say this was funny is unberlevable.

WORST EP OFF ALL TIME would like you use lots of sware words but im to nice for that

sorry for the bad spelling that ep as rotted my brain
Have we travelled back to the 1st of April - the people raving over this are having a joke arent they.....

I dont know maybe Eastenders fans have moved in to watch 'who'.....

Any fans of the 'genuine' Doctor Who want to go and comiserate under an old library somewhere ?
this must be the worst episode ever sorry it wasnt funny, wasnt sad we were the sad ones watching it

cant believe i slagged dr who off so much sorry russell after watching that im ashamed to be a fan!!!

i hope the critics will slate this, imagine showing the non fan that episode!!!!!

i never liked peter kay but even he was more watchable, love the cast as great actors but they must hate dr who after reading this script
worst epidsode yet?

i am actually feeling ambarresed to be a dr.who fan after that ep
I watched it with a group, and was utterly embarrassed, actually. One lass walked out fed up, and another fell asleep. I'd already been bickering with another mate whether or not DW was "geeky" (the previous two-parter was winning him round); he had the grace not to press his point, but simply raised his can and grinned victoriously. Ouch.
It makes you sad, doesn't it?
Old June 18, 2006, 12:58 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Bloody heck! And some of these were before the episode was finished. And i am sorry to say that i must agree, i lost interest in that episode fast, I enjoyed Peter Kays acting, he was one fo the best parts of it. But overall, it was crap! Russell T Davies has done 2 stinkers, 3 at the most so far, and this episode is not up to scratch. Absolutley dreadful, I seriousy hope next weeks episode is better, because i am starting to think hard about it, and failing that, the finalie better be a dramatic, wonderful, brilliant 2 parter. Because now im wondering. And what does make the episode even worse is the fact you were not convinced by it Danny, But this episode was Doctor Who with hardly any Doctor, just people disscussing him, thats only good for so far. So it must rank as one of the lowest points of the series.
Old June 18, 2006, 2:52 AM
Ronnie Rowlands (Offline)
Look who's back!

Well I actually found this episode quite enjoyable. Ok, the part at the start where the doc, Rose and that monster are running through those doors like the Scooby Doo clan was quite silly, but I thought it was a nice story, and a breath of fresh air to have a story with little Doctor in it, to focus around the people who are affected by the Doctors actions. Peter Kay was very funny, "Yeah, Abzorbaloff I like that one." People who are critising the show because they don't like Peter Kay are just shallow. People who are complaining are just scared to see a different sort of episode.
I enjoyed the episode. Cut it some slack ok?
Old June 18, 2006, 9:19 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

People were not just critisizing it just for Peter Kay, read all the OG comments, this episode was the worst yet, and if the Beeb has any sense, Russell T Davies will write less episodes next season, as for the running through the corrodor trick, thats lame, how many times have you seen it before? Thats just not Doctor Who. It's the Doctor who makes the show, you don;t just farm it out to a supporting cast.

On a good Note, Captain Jack will be back next series at least, he will appear at the start to console the Doctor it will be good to see him, i have actually missed the character somewhat
Old June 18, 2006, 10:03 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Completely agreed with Chris's latest post.
Old June 18, 2006, 10:16 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Well I actually found this episode quite enjoyable.
You're on your own as far as DannyStewart.com members so far.

Ok, the part at the start where the doc, Rose and that monster are running through those doors like the Scooby Doo clan was quite silly,
Actually that was one of the parts of the episode I enjoyed more. Not to say I enjoyed it at all, but...

but I thought it was a nice story, and a breath of fresh air to have a story with little Doctor in it,
Isn't that a contradiction in terms? A Doctor Who story with little Doctor being a breath of fresh air?

to focus around the people who are affected by the Doctors actions.
You can show the Doctor's impact without removing the Doctor. But even the plot was shallow and meaningless to me. If it was well done, that would be one thing, but this was about as far from well done as humanly possible. And the blame for that rests solely on the shoulders of Russell T. Davies.

Peter Kay was very funny, "Yeah, Abzorbaloff I like that one."
Peter Kay was very funny, if you have the sense of humor of a two-year-old who's mentally retarded and doesn't understand the English language and just sees a big fat green thing flopping around on that box that gives off light and noise. (Please note that this is not directed at you, Ronn, nor at anyone who did find him funny, so please don't take offense. This is just the sense of humor that I feel the episode must have been catered towards.)

People who are critising the show because they don't like Peter Kay are just shallow.
I will agree with you there. Judge the story on its own merits or lack thereof.

People who are complaining are just scared to see a different sort of episode.
That's a generalization and I don't appreciate it. I welcome different kinds of episodes, as long as they're handled well. And this was not handled well. That's not the fault of the production team, it's the fault of our lord and master RTD, in whom my faith dwindles with each passing RTD-written episode (except "Tooth and Claw").

I enjoyed the episode. Cut it some slack ok?
Luckily due to freedom of thought and expression I don't have to cut it any slack, and I won't be, because I found no merit in it nor did I derive any enjoyment from watching it. If I thought there were good things about it, I most certainly would cut it some slack. But as I said, I just don't see very many good things about the episode. I'm sorry.
Old June 18, 2006, 10:47 AM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

I didnt even read all of those reviews Danny because quite frankly, I dont know where they were, but they were not watching the same episode I was. I thought it was a great episode, one of the best in the series behind the Impossible Planet.

I thought Peter Kay would've been poor, but it surprised me how good it was. Personally I dont see how you could possibly view it that way, your TVs - and Danny's downloading service - must be defective.
Originally Posted by Danny Stewart
That's a generalization and I don't appreciate it. I welcome different kinds of episodes, as long as they're handled well. And this was not handled well. That's not the fault of the production team, it's the fault of our lord and master RTD, in whom my faith dwindles with each passing RTD-written episode (except "Tooth and Claw").
Yeah well I agree with Ronn on that point, you guys are just being far too critical, just because a different kind of humour and plot is being used.

Last edited by Ross Hendrie; June 18, 2006 at 10:53 AM
Old June 18, 2006, 11:10 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

What Humor? I loved the humor as it was, in the other episodes. There was no humor at all in this, i was actually crepped out by Elton slightly. Ross, My TV was not defective, and this is how i feel and i won't be had a go at for it, i know you have your opinion, and i do respect that, but please respect mine, i really thought this was bad. and i will avoid watching thsi on the DVD's if possible. I will hope that more episodes will be done by others next season.

I will point out one thing from that episode i did like. The little club became a group of friends who wanted ot have a nice time, i did feel that was like us in a way, the forums are the same, a small group of friends, devoted to Sci Fi, who share interestes, make jokes and fit in well. That was the single bit of the episode i did find appreciation for, since it reminded me of this place here.
Old June 19, 2006, 7:23 AM
Ronnie Rowlands (Offline)
Look who's back!

[QUOTE=Danny Stewart;16452]

"Isn't that a contradiction in terms? A Doctor Who story with little Doctor being a breath of fresh air?"

I just mean it was nice and different, to have a story with little Doc in it.

"You can show the Doctor's impact without removing the Doctor. But even the plot was shallow and meaningless to me. If it was well done, that would be one thing, but this was about as far from well done as humanly possible. And the blame for that rests solely on the shoulders of Russell T. Davies."

The plot was not meaningless, A group of investigators were looking for the Doctor, Peter Kay comes along and takes charge of the group, so he can find the Doc and absorb him, therefore making him more intelligent. Anyone who gets too close gets absorbed by him. It was quite a nice plot and a nice light hearted episode.

"Peter Kay was very funny, if you have the sense of humor of a two-year-old who's mentally retarded and doesn't understand the English language and just sees a big fat green thing flopping around on that box that gives off light and noise. (Please note that this is not directed at you, Ronn, nor at anyone who did find him funny, so please don't take offense. This is just the sense of humor that I feel the episode must have been catered towards.)"

I think this IS directed at anyone who finds it funny Danny, you are trying to say that only a Spastic who couldnt understand the english language would like it. Maybe, just maybe, RTD wanted to make an episode that focused more on children for a change. Peter was very
funny in his character. This is the firsts RTD episode where I hav'nt disliked Tennants performance.
Old June 19, 2006, 11:07 AM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart
Peter Kay was very funny, if you have the sense of humor of a two-year-old who's mentally retarded and doesn't understand the English language and just sees a big fat green thing flopping around on that box that gives off light and noise. (Please note that this is not directed at you, Ronn, nor at anyone who did find him funny, so please don't take offense. This is just the sense of humor that I feel the episode must have been catered towards.)
I dont see how that cant be directed towards people who found it funny. Personally I thought that kind of humour was the same as some of the other jokes in other non-RTD episodes, and that it was actually quite funny.

Old June 19, 2006, 1:01 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Well, to each his own, but I found the humor very childish, and I don't enjoy childish humor. It makes me cringe and almost be embarrassed to be a Doctor Who fan at that point in time. Neither of my parents liked it either, nor did any of the friends I showed it to, so draw your own conclusions.

Oh, and also, I can't let this one fly:
Originally Posted by Ronn
This is the firsts RTD episode where I hav'nt disliked Tennants performance.
Yeah, because he was in a sum total of two minutes of the final episode!
Old June 19, 2006, 1:25 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Look I cant just stand by and let that one go. Has there ever been an episode where the Doctor has been in less. Im guessing no. It's a lot better if this happens every once and again. Besides, it's better with less Rose, time she was killed off or abandoned already.

Old June 19, 2006, 1:53 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ross Hendrie View Post
Look I cant just stand by and let that one go.
Let which one go?

Has there ever been an episode where the Doctor has been in less. Im guessing no.
Then you would guess incorrectly. There was a William Hartnell (First Doctor) episode in 1965 that had no Doctor or supporting cast (companions) at all.

It's a lot better if this happens every once and again.
No, never. I will not ever agree with that. The show is called Doctor Who because we watch and follow the adventures of the Doctor, that's it. If you're going to start abandoning the Doctor now and then you'd have to change the name and premise of the show, and then I'd stop watching.

Besides, it's better with less Rose, time she was killed off or abandoned already.
That's another matter. Frankly a lot of Rose or a little of Rose doesn't really bother me one way or the other, so I won't disagree with you on that.
Old June 22, 2006, 1:24 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

If Rose dies she dies, im not fussed, Bille has done a good job, she wants to leave, thats ok, as long as we don't see tripe, like that episode ever again.
Old June 22, 2006, 2:13 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Tripe? Satan Pit was tripe, not this.

Old June 23, 2006, 5:43 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

The Satan Pit was enthralling, exciting, and thrilling action-drama. This was tripe.
Old June 24, 2006, 6:03 AM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Nonsense. The Satan Pit was tripe. This was good.

Old June 25, 2006, 2:28 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

That's just ridiculous. Maybe you didn't like it but it wasn't tripe. This was awful.
Closed Thread