-1/10 - Voyage of the Damned 0 0%
-2/10 - (no adequate description exists) 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 22, 2008, 10:01 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by stutomo View Post
I like how Danny hasn't bothered to put the real program synopsis up... Not!
What do you care? You watched the episode -- you don't need a synopsis!

We all know you hate RTD and the return of Rose but who cares what you think.
I do. And, er, it's my site. Thanks.
Old June 22, 2008, 10:08 AM
Alexus (Offline)

Quite right, "Mussolini"
Old June 22, 2008, 10:12 AM
MI7 (Offline)
Pex Lives

I'm starting to think Danny has the Maryland phonebook open on his desk, and is calling each person in turn and asking them to come here and vote -2...
Old June 22, 2008, 11:11 AM
stutomo (Offline)

Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Respect, brother.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
What do you care? You watched the episode -- you don't need a synopsis!
True but you put them on all the other discussion threads so why leave it off this one?

I do. And, er, it's my site. Thanks.
Right...............

I like the fact that in next weeks episode we get to see
Spoiler:
Gwen and Ianto.

RIP Dalek Fred

Old June 22, 2008, 11:13 AM
Alexus (Offline)

And a whole ****ing Dalek fleet! Squee!
Old June 22, 2008, 11:18 AM
stutomo (Offline)

I'm hoping they will be good as I was getting bored of them in the New York episodes last year. I just hope this finale is better than last years but, in theory, that shouldn't be hard.

RIP Dalek Fred

Old June 22, 2008, 11:20 AM
Alexus (Offline)

Ah! Practice what you preach and allow other opinions, I enjoyed last year's finale
Old June 22, 2008, 11:28 AM
stutomo (Offline)

Ah! Practice what you preach and allow other opinions, I enjoyed last year's finale
You got me. Well I enjoyed bits of it but I felt Jack wasn't in it enough and compared with the 2 finales before it I think it was the weakest one.

RIP Dalek Fred

Old June 22, 2008, 11:59 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Does the size of the fleet really matter? Either they can be stopped, or they can't. They're Daleks!

Oh, and spoiler alert: reset button.

Originally Posted by MI7 View Post
I'm starting to think Danny has the Maryland phonebook open on his desk, and is calling each person in turn and asking them to come here and vote -2...
I love my friends.

It's Megan's fault that the scale goes down to -2. I was only going to do -1.

Last edited by Danny Stewart; June 22, 2008 at 12:02 PM
Old June 22, 2008, 1:08 PM
Megan (Offline)
When I say run, run.

Originally Posted by MI7 View Post
You're almost right: we all watched the episode together, bonded over our loss of brain-cells, and then I actually made an account for the purpose of voting -2.

It's Megan's fault that the scale goes down to -2. I was only going to do -1.
Oh you know you agree with me. Somehow it managed to be more pointless and stupid than Voyage of the Damned (unfortunately the Christmas portion of this episode lacked the genius that is Murray's THE STOWAWAY ).

And yeah...maybe the whole It's A Wonderful Life meets Doctor Who thing works for some people, but not for me. Wow! The Doctor is gone! Look at all of the awful things that have happened without him! Oh noes!! It's okay. There's a reset button for that. Just forget this episode ever happened. Well obviously things would be terrible without the Doctor! If things were fine and dandy without him there would be no point to the show! >.<
Old June 22, 2008, 1:27 PM
Josef Kenny (Offline)
It's a social experiment.

I totally agree that the episode is pointless with the beginning and end of it totally uninteresting, but I really liked a lot of the ideas in it. The way the characters responded to the crises they were plunged into and the ideas of alternative consequences to things kind of appeals to me. And awesome avatar, Megan.
Old June 22, 2008, 1:33 PM
Ronnie Rowlands (Offline)
Look who's back!

I really loved the ending, if I'm honest. It was very nightmarish, like you're in a corridor and everywhere you turn Saddamm Hussain's face is there laughing at you, driving you to insanity. And I always get goosebumps when the Tardis is in that state with the cloister bell ringing.
Old June 22, 2008, 1:45 PM
Kody (Offline)
Admin

Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowlands View Post
So, you know, whoever wants to start the boring ''RTD must die" tirade again, go right ahead, I'm out of this thread.
It's not a boring "RTD must die" tirade, many of us really hated this episode and have a long list of reasons why, that, therefore, is why we want him to die.

Go check the Midnight poll and you'll see that I myself gave it a 9/10, thought it was brilliant. RTD can write good episodes, but I don't think this is one of them at all.

I like how Danny hasn't bothered to put the real program synopsis up... Not! Way to go and throw your dolly out the pram. We all know you hate RTD and the return of Rose but who cares what you think..
So you're insulting someone and trying to toss their opinion out of a discussion poll? That was a very immature reply.

There's no need for all this. "Well I liked it, so hah!" Or even "I didn't like it, so STFU!". - All my STFU has been aimed at RTD, not forum members.

If people wish to state how they liked it, or didn't like it, they're perfectly free to. Even making fun of RTD. But stop sniping each other even in subtle ways, please.

"What's the point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes?" - The Fourth Doctor

Last edited by Kody; June 22, 2008 at 1:54 PM
Old June 22, 2008, 1:57 PM
Josef Kenny (Offline)

Originally Posted by Ronnie
I really loved the ending, if I'm honest. It was very nightmarish, BAD you're in a corridor and WOLF you turn Saddamm BAD face WOLF there BAD at WOLF, BAD WOLF BAD WOLF BAD WOLF. BAD WOLF BAD WOLF BAD WOLF BAD WOLF BAD WOLF BAD WOLF
Oh yeah, I liked that bit, but I missed most of it because I started rofling. It's not usual that I actually rofl. Did the cloister bell ring? What!?
Old June 22, 2008, 2:12 PM
Look who's back!

Originally Posted by Kody View Post
It's not a boring "RTD must die" tirade, many of us really hated this episode and have a long list of reasons why, that, therefore, is why we want him to die.
Well I haven't seen any, all I've seen is pretty much 'it's shit because RTD wrote it," and then the usual GTFO stuff. And, Kody, if you're admitting you have liked his episodes, but say this is weak, why are you suddenly all for getting rid of him? Should we get rid of all writers who write a bad episode once in a while?

I'm sorry, but I simply cannot see a picture of Patrick Stewart giving someone the finger as a reason why someone dislikes an episode.

Last edited by Ronnie Rowlands; June 22, 2008 at 2:15 PM
Old June 22, 2008, 2:23 PM
Kody (Offline)
Admin

Well I haven't seen any, all I've seen is pretty much 'it's shit because RTD wrote it," and then the usual GTFO stuff. And, Kody, if you're admitting you have liked his episodes, but say this is weak, why are you suddenly all for getting rid of him? Should we get rid of all writers who write a bad episode once in a while?
Out of the 26 episodes he's wrote, I've enjoyed about 8-9 of them, if that.

When he writes bad ones, such as this and the season ending for last year, they're spectacularly bad and feel downright insulting to me. So yes, while he can write good the bad far outweighs it, in my opinion.

As for. "I haven't seen any", I haven't seen any full lists from people like Rat or such with all the highlights of the episode either. Just random mentions of the bits you all liked. So go ahead and write out a big list or proper review of why it's so amazing and I'll do the same with my views, alright?

These discussion threads usually seem to lack such reviews or in depth thoughts.

I'm sorry, but I simply cannot see a picture of Patrick Stewart giving someone the finger as a reason why someone dislikes an episode.
This, is meant to be a 'joke'. http://www.google.com/search?source=...=Google+Search

If you want a serious list of reasons, I'd expect the same from someone who is saying this is some of the best television ever.

"What's the point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes?" - The Fourth Doctor
Old June 22, 2008, 3:15 PM
Look who's back!

Well for a start, there was the way that the story was made up of two parts. It's not *about* the Doctor, as such, and yet it was all about him, life without him, how things transpire. I thought Catherine Tate gave an absolutely sterling performance. The story is about entirely about her. Usually Doctor-Lite episodes are also without companions but this centered on Donna. She really had her chance to shine. I thought it was a brilliant way of telling us how important the Doctor is, and very thought provoking with the choices and how they affect life, it really made me think about that sort of thing.

Ok, I will admit that the premise was all a bit rushed. They were on another planet, and yet there was oriental writing everywhere, like it was in China. The whole beetle stuff was not very well explained, and the ending was a bit rushed. The Doctor didn't seem to think much about 'Bad Wolf', and yes, it was a bit silly for him to suddenly say "Badwolf? Oshitz end of universe".

The sense of dread and bleakness was very well conveyed. The more dread and bleakness you have in a story set on earth, the more you think about it, and I like stories that make me think. It really showed a believable way that people would react. The optimists making the best of it, but the knowing that they are actually helpless is such a sad thought. They are just sitting around and "letting the army deal with it", but even they don't know what the hell to do. It's scary. Again, it's the making you think. Can you imagine the helplessness of being in that sort of situation?

There was a lot of mystery about it,and I felt that Rose excelled in this episode. She was no longer the whining, moaning thicko who pined for the Doctor, but was now mysterious and clever, she knows everything that Donna does not, and again, Tate, being such a fantastic actress, showed her confusion realistically. How would you react if some strange blond was following you around and knowing everything about you and your future?

My only other criticism is that we didn't know much of the villain. Yes, we know the Trickster was involved. But to have the Doctor meet him and thrash it out with him would have been entertaining. RTD would have had the opportunity to make a more clear explanation of what was happening had he been given the time, but hey, the centerpiece of the story is life without the Doctor. I will admit that the beginning and end were somewhat hasty.

Great performances from everyone involved, (and hey, did anyone notice that the fortune teller was Chantho from Utopia?). Cribben's acting as the italians were taken away was heartbreaking and brilliant to watch, and seeing Donna's mum cave in from her loud, feisty personality really conveyed the effects of the events, the contrast was outstanding.

This story was dark and frightening, so I don't understand... isn't this what the Doctor Who fans want, after all?

I challenge anybody try and find me an old school episode with this much realism and bleakness and accuracy of our behavior.

There's, your list, Kody. Your serve.
Old June 22, 2008, 3:28 PM
Josef Kenny (Offline)

Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowlands
Well for a start, there was [...] and accuracy of our behavior.
*claps*
Old June 22, 2008, 3:37 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

I challenge anybody try and find me an old school episode with this much realism and bleakness and accuracy of our behavior.
Can't get an Old School one but I thought I'd say that Midnight displayed some real "humanity" in it.

But hang on, RTD wrote it.

I suppose Kody's GTFO and STFU is just an opinion but I think RTD would learn more if there was a bad reaction to one of his episodes from the NuWho fans because this is what he is aiming Who at.

He wants to introduce Dr.Who to a new bunch of kids as it was back in the Classic Days. He is in charge of the show (for now) and he wants it written the way he prefers it (and so do the NuWho fans). I've heard him say countless times in the commentaries that "Classic Fans won't like this" and "the Forums have just exploded" but he cares more about what the New Fans like and want as they are his chosen and primary audience.

But there are Classic Fans who like the majority of the NuWho eps and they are people like RTD (he s an old fan after all).

But at the end of the day everybody will have a different opinion about each episode and thats what these thread are for.
Old June 22, 2008, 4:49 PM
Alexus (Offline)

"Badwolf? Oshitz end of universe".
Quoted for lulz.

Tags
suicidal doctor who fans, turn left heresy