Error: Rating too low to process. 8 36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 4, 2008, 9:36 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Doctor Who 4x13 - "Journey's End"

"Journey's End" by Russell T Davies
The Doctor's dead (for 23 seconds), Rose is hilariously incompetent yet still ends up shagging David Tennant by the end of the episode, somebody gets killed (lol just kidding), end of series.

Oh, and:

COMING CHRISTMAS 2008

THE RETURN

OF THE CYBERMEN

Last edited by Danny Stewart; July 6, 2008 at 1:02 PM
Old July 5, 2008, 1:44 PM
MI7 (Offline)
Pex Lives

Why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why.

Last edited by Danny Stewart; July 5, 2008 at 1:46 PM Reason: Spacing issues
Old July 5, 2008, 1:51 PM
Dalek104 (Offline)

It was an absolutely fantastically brilliantly amazing wonderful enjoyable 65 minutes and definitely the best episode of the whole four new serieses
Old July 5, 2008, 1:53 PM
Marinedalek (Offline)
a.k.a. Pete

In a break from form, I'm rating this in "the grand scheme of all Doctor Who" rather than on a per-series basis, so it's got a 6 for "good". Probably the only way the RTD era could have been wrapped up suitably with the minimal of plotting outrage among fans.

Nice fun-poking at the TVM.. "Part-human, part-Time Lord.. well that's wizard"

Last edited by Marinedalek; July 5, 2008 at 4:44 PM
Old July 5, 2008, 2:11 PM
Josef Kenny (Offline)
It's a social experiment.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAH gugugugugugugugugugugugugug
Old July 5, 2008, 3:40 PM
stutomo (Offline)

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
"Journey's End" by Russell T Davies
The Doctor's dead (for 23 seconds), Rose is hilariously incompetant yet still ends up shagging David Tennant by the end of the episode, somebody gets killed (lol just kidding), end of series.

Oh, and:

COMING CHRISTMAS 2008

THE RETURN

OF THE CYBERMEN
The Doctor's dead (for 23 seconds) - When?
Rose is hilariously incompetant yet still ends up shagging David Tennant by the end of the episode - Oh really, when?

The preview for Christmas was crap as (if anyone uses the net or reads papers) we already knew.

I enjoyed the episode but the ending seemed rushed and confusing. When Donna stopped the Daleks shooting and started making them spin I got confused to how and what she was doing. I don't know why Rose had to go back to the parallel world when Mickey didn't. They didn't think this part through. I didn't like the TARDIS dragging the earth either. It seemed silly to me. I'll watch this episode back tomorrow to see if I can understand it more and then it will be Doctor Who withdrawal symptoms from then on.

RIP Dalek Fred

Old July 5, 2008, 4:41 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Whoopsies, I broke the poll. Please re-vote, everybody.
Old July 5, 2008, 5:14 PM
Quade4315 (Offline)

I gave the episode 7/10 as i thought RTD tried to put too much into 65 minutes and it didn't really do much for me. I did really like it, but i felt like there was something missing... maybe it's because i had read a lot of spoilers over the week
Old July 5, 2008, 8:15 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

Uh... wow. I have to admit that was pretty disappointing. I thought Donna was going to wind up being a chemeleon arc'd Time Lady or something that wasn't... completely random. Too much to hope for, I know.
I can't really form a good rating right now because I was left with more of a ";____;" and "... wut." feeling than anything else.

Oh well... goodbye one of the best companions ever.

... and goodbye RTD. (I'd like to think all the characters were dancing around because of that.)
Old July 5, 2008, 8:26 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

NEVER FORGET RUSSEL T DAVIES, YOU DID THIS!!!!! I NAME YOU... FOREVER... YOU ARE THE DESTROYER OF WORLDS!!!!!!!!!
Old July 5, 2008, 9:44 PM
Mister_Wilbur (Offline)
AAAAAGGGGG!!!

Rat, your avatar and sig banner could induce seizures...

It's a fun 65 minutes... Plot wasn't very strong though, a bit too silly at points. But oh well, everything's wrapped up. (6/10)
Old July 5, 2008, 9:57 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mister_Wilbur View Post
Rat, your avatar and sig banner could induce seizures...
As he said to me over IM earlier today, it reflects his mental state after watching Journey's End.
Old July 5, 2008, 10:16 PM
Mister_Wilbur (Offline)
AAAAAGGGGG!!!

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
As he said to me over IM earlier today, it reflects his mental state after watching Journey's End.
I think he may be on to something here, I'm starting have a bit of a headache...
Old July 5, 2008, 10:23 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

That was pretty much my mental state a while after I posted the first post I posted in here. Hence the second one.

Shower calmed me down though. All in all, good birthday despite the episode.
Old July 5, 2008, 11:30 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Superkid11 View Post
I thought Donna was going to wind up being a chemeleon arc'd Time Lady or something that wasn't completely random.
I hope you realize the irony of that sentence...
Old July 6, 2008, 12:03 AM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

I do now, yes.
Old July 6, 2008, 8:55 AM
Mister_Wilbur (Offline)
AAAAAGGGGG!!!

Side effects for "Journey's End" may include:
  • Sinus Irritation
  • Bleeding from the Nose
  • Tinnitus
  • Detached Retinas
  • Mild Semi-Permanent Psychosis
  • Seizures lasting up to four hours
  • Sudden Craving for the Blood of nine million Babies
  • Bleeding from multiple orifices
  • Stomach Ulcers
  • Kidney Failure
  • Terminal Brain Malfunction
  • Persistent Vegetative State
  • Spontaneous Combustion
  • and Death
Old July 6, 2008, 12:40 PM
Megan (Offline)
When I say run, run.

Originally Posted by Marinedalek View Post
In a break from form, I'm rating this in "the grand scheme of all Doctor Who" rather than on a per-series basis, so it's got a 6 for "good".
Well, I wasn't even going to post anything in this thread because I thought this episode was so bad it wasn't even worth discussing, but here we go:
As much as I would like to make generalized statements about how terrible it is in the context of both the Old Series and the New Series, I don't have the liberty to do that. However, I would be quite perturbed to discover that in the "grand scheme of all Doctor Who", fans considered this to be "good." I would be quite frightened to know what a "bad" episode qualified as. I mean, this episode inflicted enough irreversible brain damage as is. If this is good I'm surprised Danny isn't a vegetable by now.

Originally Posted by Marinedalek View Post
Probably the only way the RTD era could have been wrapped up suitably with the minimal of plotting outrage among fans.
Things that were TOTALLY necessary to wrapping up the series:
1. Shocking cliffhanger that gets resolved in a record 22 seconds!
2. Two Doctors! One so that Rose can be happy, the other so that we can continue on with the show.
3. German Daleks that can't actually speak German correctly!
4. TARDIS = giant tow-truck for Earth
5. Rose's mum (hell, even the Doctor acknowledged how useless she is at the end of the episode when he told her not to touch anything)
6. Doctor Donna! lolz!
7. REALITY BOMB OHS NOES!

All of the major plot points of the episode just seemed to be one giant fanwank. I'm sure all the fangirls were squealing when they got to see their precious Rose kiss the now part-human Doctor (OMG NOW THEY CAN B TOGETHUR FoReVeR!!!). But was it important to the plot at all? No. I'm pretty sure RTD could've written the episode without the unnecessary regeneration scene--which by the way accomplished nothing in the 22 seconds in which it occurred except to confuse the hell out of everyone. And were his explanations any good? No. Using big science-y words like "neutrino" does not qualify as a valid explanation (does he even know what the fuck those are?).

In short, the episode was melodramatic and so utterly meaningless in the course of the entire series that Donna was able to feasibly wake up, receive a text message from a friend about the sky being filled with planets, call her friend and tell her she was being silly, and then go on to have a normal gossipy conversation. The New Series hasn't been all that great, but this is definitely its lowest point, and by definition, that would make it probably one of the worst if not the worst episode ever.

Originally Posted by Mister_Wilbur View Post
Side effects for "Journey's End" may include:
  • Sinus Irritation
  • Bleeding from the Nose
  • Tinnitus
  • Detached Retinas
  • Mild Semi-Permanent Psychosis
  • Seizures lasting up to four hours
  • Sudden Craving for the Blood of nine million Babies
  • Bleeding from multiple orifices
  • Stomach Ulcers
  • Kidney Failure
  • Terminal Brain Malfunction
  • Persistent Vegetative State
  • Spontaneous Combustion
  • and Death
IN-FUCKING-DEED.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by Megan; July 6, 2008 at 1:33 PM Reason: Forgot specific instances of crappiness due to brain damage from watching Journey's End
Old July 6, 2008, 10:52 PM
Marinedalek (Offline)
a.k.a. Pete

Originally Posted by Megan View Post
Using big science-y words like "neutrino" does not qualify as a valid explanation
In that case you'll be disappointed with the explanations in 95% of the Doctor Who stories out there. Have fun.

As for the "Totally necessary" stuff - if you made an episode that just tied up loose ends it would be, frankly, a bit shit.
Old July 6, 2008, 11:14 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

It'd be less shit than this.

Though I may just be butthurt over the seemingly unnecessary tragic loss of my favorite companion next to Jack and Romana.

It may have actually been somewhat less tragic if she just... died. Yeah, that would start parent drama, but a heroic death would have been somewhat more appealing to me than what happened instead. Not sure why.

Originally Posted by Megan View Post
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
+ YouTube Video

Last edited by Superkid11; July 6, 2008 at 11:37 PM
Closed Thread