2/10 - Horrible 0 0%
1/10 - Unwatchable 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 27, 2008, 9:34 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Recurring Villain View Post
As far as RTD, and especially Christmas RTD, episodes go, it was one of the better ones. Just remember how the last series ended.
Oh, no, I absolutely agree with you. However "better than some of the shit we've been stuck with" doesn't mean I should be hailing it as brilliant. It was still shit, just slightly less shit than some of what we've gotten before.

This one actually had some substance in that whole 'next doctor' thing. The Cybermen part was clearly just for the entertainment of the kiddies watching on Christmas.
Exactly my point. I hate Christmas specials for exactly that reason -- too much of it is simply thrown in for a laugh or thrown in to make the kiddies go "ooh," and then that shit becomes an indelible part of canon.

But there's probably no point discussing this with you, anyway. You decided you hated it before you even watched it.
Bullshit, although this is why I've stopped discussing my opinions. No one listens to them anymore and no one believes I even take the episodes seriously enough to rate them. People think I just come, go, rate badly, then go "Next!" That's bullshit. I give every episode a chance. I don't expect it to be good, because look at RTD's track record, but I do go into them hoping they won't be absolutely godawful. The problem is, even his better ones are still pretty shitty, and generally not Doctor Who. I respected this one enough to give it a 3/10. Turn Left, Journey's End, etc. all got negative ratings because I hated them so much. This was a definite and significant step higher than those.

But I watched this with my mom, brother, and best friend, and when that fucking Cyberking rose up out of the water, everyone in the room burst out laughing. My mom almost fell out of her chair at how fucking pathetic the goddamn thing was. (And obviously I'm not talking about the CG, which wasn't bad. I'm talking about the very idea of a GIANT FUCKING CYBERKING ROBOT WALKING ABOUT FIRING ITS LASER AND MISSILES. WHAT THE FUCK.) I don't know how the fuck you expect me to rate an episode with that abomination in it higher than a 3/10. My brother and my best friend both thought that I was being too generous with a 3, and thought it deserved RTD's usual 1 or 2 rating, but I stuck by it anyway.

So you all can go eat up whatever RTD spoon feeds you, while I tear down his episodes for the abominable trash that they are. I genuinely don't know how the people I associate with, who are supposed to be good friends and intellectual equals, can enjoy this garbage. I really don't. It makes me wonder about my choice in friends sometimes.

But the bottom line is that I do go into these episodes with an open mind, and I rate based on what I see, not based on any preconceptions I have of RTD. There are still RTD episodes that I would rate highly (even 8/10 or higher), so your little belief that I'm on some sort of stupid vindictive crusade against everything the man writes automatically is completely unfounded and frankly pisses me off.

As I said above, this is exactly why I don't bother to articulate my opinions anymore -- because I know no one shares them, and everyone just assumes I'm just bashing RTD automatically because that's what I do, not because I genuinely hate the bullshit he puts out and calls episodes.

Last edited by Danny Stewart; December 27, 2008 at 9:41 AM
Old December 27, 2008, 11:33 AM
Ronnie Rowlands (Offline)
Look who's back!

At least you guys actually found it amusing, deriving some form of enjoyment out of Cyberzilla. I sank deeper into my chair and gave a choked sigh when it happened.
Old December 27, 2008, 12:45 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

Originally Posted by Mister_Wilbur View Post
- All the hype was for nothing
To be fair, it wasn't the BBC that made the hype. It was fans and everyone else, excited by the title. After reading RTDs book The title was chosen before Tennant announced he was leaving so it was all a coincidence that it sounded like Morrisey was taking over from Tennant.

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
Bullshit, although this is why I've stopped discussing my opinions.

From things you said it did sound like you decided it was shit before you watched it.

GIANT FUCKING CYBERKING ROBOT WALKING ABOUT FIRING ITS LASER AND MISSILES. WHAT THE FUCK.)
This is NuWho. I guess really, we have to get over it because there isn't much we can do!

I think its good that your still comparing your results to other NuWho episodes and I understand you give them all a chance!

Last edited by Danny Stewart; December 27, 2008 at 4:46 PM Reason: Double post merged; please use multi-quote to respond to multiple posts
Old December 27, 2008, 4:52 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowlands View Post
At least you guys actually found it amusing, deriving some form of enjoyment out of Cyberzilla. I sank deeper into my chair and gave a choked sigh when it happened.
If I were watching it alone instead of with family and friends who had a sense of humor about it all, that probably would have been my reaction as well.

Originally Posted by Jamie Minty View Post
To be fair, it wasn't the BBC that made the hype. It was fans and everyone else, excited by the title.
Not particularly relevant. There was hype; it didn't live up to it. His point stands.

After reading RTDs book The title was chosen before Tennant announced he was leaving so it was all a coincidence that it sounded like Morrisey was taking over from Tennant.
Untrue. David Tennant had made his decision months before he announced it to the public, and RTD was in on it all along. They had made a deal that they would both leave at the same time. So RTD most definitely did know that Tennant would be leaving at the time he named the special. Whether he knew the public would know by the time it aired is another issue.

From things you said it did sound like you decided it was shit before you watched it.
I had low expectations. Can you blame me? The Runaway Bride and Voyage of the Damned being the last two Christmas specials, and Partners in Crime, Turn Left, and Journey's End being among the most recent RTD episodes we've gotten, I don't think it was unreasonable of me not to have much hope. I still gave it a chance, and it still let me down. Miraculously I somehow have still not yet reached the point where I stop giving it a chance entirely, even though I keep saying and thinking that I should do so.

This is NuWho. I guess really, we have to get over it because there isn't much we can do!
All we can do is rate the episodes badly and complain as loudly as we can, which is what I endeavor to do.

I think its good that your still comparing your results to other NuWho episodes and I understand you give them all a chance!
Thank you.
Old December 27, 2008, 5:08 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Im unashamed to say I didn't even bother watching, although I guess that's my level of interest in Doctor Who thesedays...

Old December 27, 2008, 5:14 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ross Hendrie View Post
Im unashamed to say I didn't even bother watching, although I guess that's my level of interest in Doctor Who thesedays...
I don't blame you at all. I almost wish I could separate myself from Doctor Who to that level -- the new series, at least, until the Moffat era begins. I don't know why I continue to subject myself to it in some kind of pointless hope that it will improve before Steven Moffat takes over.
Old December 27, 2008, 5:58 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

But I dont out right despise the RTD era like you do, it's a bit of a mystery to me why I suddenly dont care that much.

Old December 27, 2008, 6:05 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

Originally Posted by Ross Hendrie View Post
But I dont out right despise the RTD era like you do, it's a bit of a mystery to me why I suddenly dont care that much.
Just an inexplicable loss of interest? It happens...
Old December 27, 2008, 8:26 PM
Recurring Villain (Offline)
biggus dickus

I don't know how the fuck you expect me to rate an episode with that abomination in it higher than a 3/10. My brother and my best friend both thought that I was being too generous with a 3, and thought it deserved RTD's usual 1 or 2 rating, but I stuck by it anyway.
I don't, and I don't know why you think I do. For some reason you act as if any positive mention of anything anyone you don't like (RTD and Murray, for example) is some kind of personal attack on you. It got on my nerves enough last time that I decided to just get myself banned. Seriously, you need to chill the fuck out and get over yourself, especially considering we actually agree with you most of the time.

So you all can go eat up whatever RTD spoon feeds you, while I tear down his episodes for the abominable trash that they are. I genuinely don't know how the people I associate with, who are supposed to be good friends and intellectual equals, can enjoy this garbage. I really don't. It makes me wonder about my choice in friends sometimes.
See, here we go again with the personal attacks. It's just a fucking TV show; entertainment, and we treat it as such. As much as you might not think so, some of us still saw entertainment value in it, which is the whole fucking point of the show. I'd prefer if it wasnt so rediculous, and I'm definitely looking forward to what Moffat does with the show, but I don't take this shit so seriously that I'm going to rant and cry like a fucking baby because it wasnt the best thing I've ever seen in my life.

Not at all benevolent dictator and I don't need to sign my posts cause my name is up there at the top.
Old December 27, 2008, 9:14 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

The Episode for me was ok up until Cyberzilla. I didn't get the Cybershades though.
Old December 27, 2008, 10:16 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I don't, and I don't know why you think I do. For some reason you act as if any positive mention of anything anyone you don't like (RTD and Murray, for example) is some kind of personal attack on you.
I don't treat positive mentions of RTD and Murray as a personal attack on me. I treat posts like this as a personal attack on me:

But there's probably no point discussing this with you, anyway. You decided you hated it before you even watched it.
It wasn't until then that I got riled up into making a pissy and long-winded post. I kept quiet for the most part up until then.

Seriously, you need to chill the fuck out and get over yourself
Two things wrong with that: 1) I didn't say anything until you started jumping to the wrong conclusion about my opinions, and I don't see how responding to such an attack accordingly can be described as "needing to get over myself," and 2) the benefit of this being my site is that I don't have to get over myself, and you all kind of just have to deal with it.

I don't take this shit so seriously that I'm going to rant and cry like a fucking baby because it wasnt the best thing I've ever seen in my life.
Once again, I said practically nothing until you made your post condemning my opinion. I kept my mouth shut because I don't feel like wasting my energy articulating an opinion that I don't think anyone here will share, nor do I feel like being condemned for something that isn't the case, which is that "I just hate everything RTD does automatically." I was perfectly happy never to open my mouth at all. The only post I did make was highlighting an amusing wording from your post. I felt no need to make any commentary on the episode at all.

And I love how you think I'm crying and ranting because it's "not the best thing I've ever seen." If that was all this episode was guilty of, I would have been praising it up and down. It's absolute, utter fucking garbage that tramples on the memory of the most beloved TV shows, ideas, and characters I have ever been exposed to. You're damn right I take offense to what RTD is doing to it. In my view, Doctor Who should never have been brought back at all. Now that it has, and it's being butchered to a slow and painful death, yeah, I'm gonna moan about it. This is my site and I'm bloody well entitled to it. Being here and reading about it is your choice.
Old December 27, 2008, 10:22 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

I'm hoping this will lead to a better understanding of each other so this doesn't happen again instead of RV leaving again.

Things kinda picked up a little bit when he came back, you know?

Last edited by Superkid11; December 27, 2008 at 10:26 PM
Old December 27, 2008, 10:26 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Superkid11 View Post
I'm hoping this will lead to a better understanding instead of RV leaving again.

Things kinda picked up a little bit when he came back, you know?
I don't want him to leave. I'm just saying he kind of has to deal with my rants when I make them, especially when he starts the damn things.
Old December 27, 2008, 10:27 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

I realize that, I was only making a comment.
Old December 27, 2008, 11:07 PM
biggus dickus

Two things wrong with that: 1) I didn't say anything until you started jumping to the wrong conclusion about my opinions, and I don't see how responding to such an attack accordingly can be described as "needing to get over myself,"
And I quote, from here;

Looks like shit.
I can respond without even watching it: I hate it.
As they say in Elementary School; check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Not at all benevolent dictator and I don't need to sign my posts cause my name is up there at the top.
Old December 27, 2008, 11:29 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

And I quote, from here;

As they say in Elementary School; check yourself before you wreck yourself.
1) Talking about posts made only after watching the episode and formulating a proper opinion.

2) Both statements were valid anyway, so big whoop.
Old December 28, 2008, 1:12 AM
biggus dickus

1) Talking about posts made only after watching the episode and formulating a proper opinion.
I don't think you understand. I'm talking about posts you made that support my assumption that you decided you hated the episode before you even watched it. I didn't pull that out of my ass.

Old December 28, 2008, 5:50 AM
Jez (Offline)
Snizzel ma Wizzel

David Morrisey made it more enjoyable to watch than it should have been.

Hi, by the way.

He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt him it was really quite hypnotic.

*Officially the most likeable person since the last one*

Last edited by Jez; December 28, 2008 at 5:54 AM Reason: Am I really so tired that my spelling sucketh so bad?
Old December 28, 2008, 8:44 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I don't think you understand. I'm talking about posts you made that support my assumption that you decided you hated the episode before you even watched it. I didn't pull that out of my ass.
Ah, I see where you're getting confused. You don't understand the difference between commenting on a preview and prejudging the episode.

Also, just because I assume an episode is going to suck doesn't mean I don't give it a chance when I watch it. I can do both you know. Maybe you or others cannot separate yourself from your preconceptions, but I can.

I also tell myself it'll probably suck so that it doesn't hurt so bad when it actually does.

Originally Posted by Jez View Post
David Morrisey made it more enjoyable to watch than it should have been.

Hi, by the way.
Welcome back, buddy. Good to see you around again.

Agreed about Morrissey. He, at the very least, was great.
Old December 28, 2008, 9:20 AM
biggus dickus

I also tell myself it'll probably suck so that it doesn't hurt so bad when it actually does.
You know I think that explains everything. I gave up on Doctor Who long ago, and so I found this episode enjoyable because I don't expect anything from Doctor Who anymore. It's like a mildly amusing distraction between installments of Torchwood.

Now, if they ruin Torchwood (and all signs point to they are) then I'll probably end up exactly like you are atm.

Closed Thread