2/10 - Horrible 0 0%
1/10 - Unwatchable 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 28, 2008, 6:16 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
Untrue. David Tennant had made his decision months before he announced it to the public, and RTD was in on it all along. They had made a deal that they would both leave at the same time. So RTD most definitely did know that Tennant would be leaving at the time he named the special. Whether he knew the public would know by the time it aired is another issue.
Sorry, the books really confusing. RTD talks to Ben Cook about series 3 episodes and of course Series 4 before Series 3 even aired. So its hard to work out what Ben Cook doesn't know or doesn't tell him!

I had low expectations. Can you blame me? The Runaway Bride and Voyage of the Damned being the last two Christmas specials, and Partners in Crime, Turn Left, and Journey's End being among the most recent RTD episodes we've gotten.
Well I've learnt to understand your feelings for them but I liked them. Especially Turn Left!
Old December 28, 2008, 6:25 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

Originally Posted by Jamie Minty View Post
Especially Turn Left!
... whatever you say pal. O.o
Old December 28, 2008, 6:28 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Well I've learnt to understand your feelings for them but I liked them. Especially Turn Left!
Dear lord, man. Turn Left was arguably worse than Journey's End, depending on what you're judging it on.

Whatever...

Originally Posted by Superkid11 View Post
... whatever you say pal. O.o
Hahaha, you beat me to it.
Old December 28, 2008, 6:33 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

It was definitely worse than Journey's End. Journey's End, at the very least, could be taken well as comedy. It had a refuge in audacity of sorts. Turn Left was just full of grotesque human drama. I hated Midnight for similar reasons. The suspense was great and all but the drama was too intense and felt out of place in DW. Then again, I think being on a bus full of people getting pissed off is kind of a primal fear of mine.

Turn left also had political statements. Blugh.

Last edited by Superkid11; December 28, 2008 at 6:36 PM
Old December 28, 2008, 6:50 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Superkid11 View Post
It was definitely worse than Journey's End. Journey's End, at the very least, could be taken well as comedy. It had a refuge in audacity of sorts. Turn Left was just full of grotesque human drama. I hated Midnight for similar reasons. The suspense was great and all but the drama was too intense and felt out of place in DW. Then again, I think being on a bus full of people getting pissed off is kind of a primal fear of mine.

Turn left also had political statements. Blugh.
Fair point. I forgot what I rated each of them. They were all shit.
Old December 28, 2008, 8:22 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

I just want to see the Cyber-King fight Mecha-Streisand. That would certainly be an improvement.
Old December 29, 2008, 1:48 AM
Recurring Villain (Offline)
biggus dickus

Originally Posted by Chris Britton View Post
I just want to see the Cyber-King fight Mecha-Streisand. That would certainly be an improvement.
You know, if the reboot series of DW falls through, there's always room for an anime...

FIGHTING DALEKS BY DAYLIGHT,
CYBERMEN BY MOONLIGHT,
NEVER RUNNING FROM A TIME WAR,
HE IS THE ONE NAMED THE DOCTOR.

Not at all benevolent dictator and I don't need to sign my posts cause my name is up there at the top.
Old December 29, 2008, 6:34 AM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

Fair point. I forgot what I rated each of them. They were all shit.
I think one was -1 and the other -3.

I think a lot of Turn Left was made by Cribbins and Tate. I can easily see it as a bad story but luckily, in my mind the acting made up for it!

JE was over-dramatic but still a good story, again in my Turn Left loving mind.

I was thinking about The Next Doctor when I was watching Confidential and thinking about how it felt to watch it as it was being aired and I couldn't give a damn about cannon and a PROPER Doctor Who story. It's Christmas, I want a happy story and enjoyable adventure. I don't want something that ends like Midnight or Doomsday. I don't want a story like the Empty Child, with lots of heartache and emotions. I want something fun, and thats what I like about the Xmas Specials. RTD says that Xmas is very exciting for the kids, and it is. The fun of it and the excitement and its great for them to see it in the Xmas Specials and its a nice way to relax for older viewers and enjoy the story rather than care and get involved with its story. I even think Moffats Xmas Specials will be similarly themed, because of what Xmas is for!
Old December 29, 2008, 9:12 AM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

Originally Posted by Recurring Villain View Post
You know, if the reboot series of DW falls through, there's always room for an anime...

CYBERMEN BY MOONLIGHT,
I once imagined the Cybermen doing the Hare Hare Yukai dance...
Old December 29, 2008, 10:21 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Originally Posted by Recurring Villain View Post

CYBERMEN BY MOONLIGHT,
We'd better write this down

I once imagined the Cybermen doing the Hare Hare Yukai dance...
That too
Old December 29, 2008, 11:37 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I think one was -1 and the other -3.

I think a lot of Turn Left was made by Cribbins and Tate. I can easily see it as a bad story but luckily, in my mind the acting made up for it!

JE was over-dramatic but still a good story, again in my Turn Left loving mind.

I was thinking about The Next Doctor when I was watching Confidential and thinking about how it felt to watch it as it was being aired and I couldn't give a damn about cannon and a PROPER Doctor Who story. It's Christmas, I want a happy story and enjoyable adventure. I don't want something that ends like Midnight or Doomsday. I don't want a story like the Empty Child, with lots of heartache and emotions. I want something fun, and thats what I like about the Xmas Specials. RTD says that Xmas is very exciting for the kids, and it is. The fun of it and the excitement and its great for them to see it in the Xmas Specials and its a nice way to relax for older viewers and enjoy the story rather than care and get involved with its story. I even think Moffats Xmas Specials will be similarly themed, because of what Xmas is for!
That's all well and good, while it's Christmas. Then the next day, when you do start caring about canon again, it all goes to shit. Your forgiving attitude is part of the problem, and what lets RTD get away with it.
Old December 29, 2008, 12:23 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

That's all well and good, while it's Christmas. Then the next day, when you do start caring about canon again, it all goes to shit. Your forgiving attitude is part of the problem, and what lets RTD get away with it.
Hehe True! Mind you I still do like this episode, like RV said (and I think you agreed also) it's better than some of the others even if you look at it in a bad way!
Old December 29, 2008, 2:39 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Hehe True! Mind you I still do like this episode, like RV said (and I think you agreed also) it's better than some of the others even if you look at it in a bad way!
Forgive me if I don't count "it's not as awful as it could have been" as a valid argument for something's worth.
Old December 29, 2008, 3:03 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

Forgive me if I don't count "it's not as awful as it could have been" as a valid argument for something's worth.
Fair enough. I was just under the impression that you thought that it was better than the previous specials!

What would you rate The Christmas Invasion because you gave The Runaway Bride a 9/10

Last edited by Jamie Minty; December 29, 2008 at 3:07 PM
Old December 29, 2008, 3:43 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Fair enough. I was just under the impression that you thought that it was better than the previous specials!

What would you rate The Christmas Invasion because you gave The Runaway Bride a 9/10
ROFLMFAO. Did I seriously? God, I must have been smoking something nice.

Ratings 4 srs:

The Christmas Invasion: 6/10
The Runaway Bride: 1/10
Voyage of the Damned: -1/10
The Next Doctor: 3/10

Last edited by Danny Stewart; December 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM Reason: Upon consideration, Runaway Bride doesn't even deserve a 2/10. Changed score to 1.
Old December 29, 2008, 4:27 PM
Kody (Offline)
Admin

So, I watched this today.. the first Who I have set eyes on for months, hoping it'd be somewhat good.. but apparently my accident made me briefly forget about RTD.

Le sigh.

I don't know what to say. Oddly enough it didn't upset me, or make me want to rant at all.. it just kind of felt.. empty? I was watching it kind of blankly and it felt like there were many things missing.. and I did roll my eyes at the Cyberking reveal.. but otherwise.. yeah. It was a very odd feeling.

I need to go watch some real Who to feel better now.

"What's the point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes?" - The Fourth Doctor
Old December 29, 2008, 6:46 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

ROFLMFAO. Did I seriously? God, I must have been smoking something nice.

Ratings 4 srs:

The Christmas Invasion: 6/10
The Runaway Bride: 1/10
Voyage of the Damned: -1/10
The Next Doctor: 3/10
Yeah your ratings seemed to be alot nicer when Doctor Who started. I expect it was excitement. Thats what got me with Partners In Crime!
Old December 30, 2008, 2:37 AM
BritCanuck (Offline)

I was thinking about The Next Doctor when I was watching Confidential and thinking about how it felt to watch it as it was being aired and I couldn't give a damn about cannon and a PROPER Doctor Who story. It's Christmas, I want a happy story and enjoyable adventure...I want something fun, and thats what I like about the Xmas Specials. RTD says that Xmas is very exciting for the kids, and it is. The fun of it and the excitement and its great for them to see it in the Xmas Specials and its a nice way to relax for older viewers and enjoy the story rather than care and get involved with its story. I even think Moffats Xmas Specials will be similarly themed, because of what Xmas is for!
Oddly enough, I dug out my VHS copy of Moffat's 1999 Comic Relief special and rewatched it tonight. Rowan Atkinson as the Doctor, Jonathan Pryce (Miss Saigon) competing with Eric Roberts for the Hammiest Master Award, and Julia Sawalha (Absolutely Fabulous) as the love interest, with the Daleks and several popular British celebrities and comedians as subsequent regenerations of the Doctor (including AbFab's Joanna Lumley as the first ever BBC Female Doctor). Obviously, being a Comic Relief special, it's not to be taken seriously, let alone as canon, but it got me was thinking, as controversial as this may sound to some members, that we need to expect the occasional oddball story from Moffat as well as RTD. (Of course, most recent RTD fare has been oddball at best, but that's a whole other topic, not just one about a single episode.) What do the rest of you think?
Old January 1, 2009, 3:24 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Yeah your ratings seemed to be alot nicer when Doctor Who started. I expect it was excitement. Thats what got me with Partners In Crime!
When series 1 kicked off Danny initially rated every episode 10/10, then we all realized sooner or later the glittering flaws RTD had and the ratings we all have it were too generous. The hype surrounding the first series was immense.

I rated every episode of the first series 10/10 myself, the second series began to highlight the flaws with 'New Earth' and then 'Love and Monsters' was the TV equivalent of discovering that godawful smell you had suspected had turned out to be from a pile of dog shit from behind the computer. That was when we all started to wake up so to speak. Unfortunately RTD went on record saying he does not care what the fans think, making it only more pleasing hes almost out of the door.

The topic itself for Love and Monsters, check out the third post in that topic:
http://www.dannystewart.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1741

and so the Internet Hate Machine trundles onwards.

Danny, do you plan to reinstate the negative ratings for the specials? Looking back at them they were hilarious.

Last edited by Chris Britton; January 1, 2009 at 3:37 PM
Old January 1, 2009, 5:08 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

After having a good think about Love and Monsters, I find myself ashamed to have defended it. Just look how annoyed I get.

Closed Thread