4/10 - Poor 2 13.33%
3/10 - Very Poor 4 26.67%
2/10 - Horrible 0 0%
1/10 - Unwatchable 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 27, 2009, 11:21 AM
DarthJedi2005 (Offline)

Come on you guys, do you not think you're being slightly too harsh on RTD? He did bring the show back after all, and his writing's not that bad. Yes, it would be better if he went back and re-thought through some of his ideas, but we could have a LOT worse...

Personally I thought The Next Doctor was brilliant! Alright so it didn't have the genius ideas of episodes like Silence in the Library or The Empty Child (thank you Mr Moffat!), but it was still a pretty good story. I agree the CyberKing was a bit - oh, alright then, quite a lot - far fetched, but that's not the point! The point is that it was a good, solid story with fantastic acitng from all the cast, and for that I'd give it a 9.
Old February 27, 2009, 12:53 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by DarthJedi2005 View Post
Come on you guys, do you not think you're being slightly too harsh on RTD? He did bring the show back after all, and his writing's not that bad. Yes, it would be better if he went back and re-thought through some of his ideas, but we could have a LOT worse...

Personally I thought The Next Doctor was brilliant! Alright so it didn't have the genius ideas of episodes like Silence in the Library or The Empty Child (thank you Mr Moffat!), but it was still a pretty good story. I agree the CyberKing was a bit - oh, alright then, quite a lot - far fetched, but that's not the point! The point is that it was a good, solid story with fantastic acitng from all the cast, and for that I'd give it a 9.
...and you were doing so well, here I thought I might actually not mind you. Oh well.
Old February 27, 2009, 2:07 PM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

1. Bad writing
2. VEEEEEEEEEERY bad writing
3. Cyberking
(let's skip this one)
5. Crap name for an hilariously crap Iron Man-like cyberman.
6. DOCTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
7. Good acting from David Morrisey
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!
Old February 27, 2009, 4:30 PM
Ronnie Rowlands (Offline)
Look who's back!

Yeah we don't like people on this forum who think highly of bad episodes of Doctor Who.
Old February 27, 2009, 5:24 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowlands View Post
Yeah we don't like people on this forum who think highly of bad episodes of Doctor Who.
No we don't.
Old February 27, 2009, 8:28 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

You have to realize, we all thought he was good initially, then the facade cracked midway through series two and we realized how dreadfully bad he was, the evidence was there from the start really. You can like him if you want and thats fine, thats your opinion. If you like episodes we don't then you managed to enjoy it more.

You might think we are being harsh, but this has been the way for years now, it's been a gradual process, we gave him chances, held up hope and the return of good episodes to bad ones speaks for itself.

You will find while we all disagree on episodes, there is no doubt in our minds which ones have been genuinely good over the last few years, like The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances. But your on a forum with a bunch of cynics who have learned to spot the flaws in RTD's methods.

In your defense at least you didn't make your writing huge and in bold and put tons of exclamation marks.

Last edited by Chris Britton; February 28, 2009 at 9:49 AM
Old February 28, 2009, 5:21 AM
Ronnie Rowlands (Offline)
Look who's back!

But you're saying that to him as though there is something wrong with his opinion.
Old February 28, 2009, 1:23 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowlands View Post
But you're saying that to him as though there is something wrong with his opinion.
Not at all. He's perfectly entitled to his wrong opinion.
Old February 28, 2009, 7:36 PM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

Technically, an opinion cannot be wrong or right. I'm not saying I disagree with you, but I suppose the best way to say it is that, in your opinion, his opinion is severely misguided... that it may be, but it is still not possible for Darkjedi's opinion to be a wrong opinion, but merely an opinion that is the conclusion of being misinformed... may I suggest perhaps linking Darkjedi to your previous rants against the bad episodes?
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!

Last edited by Ben Dawson; February 28, 2009 at 7:40 PM
Old February 28, 2009, 8:43 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Originally Posted by Ben Dawson View Post
Technically, an opinion cannot be wrong or right. I'm not saying I disagree with you, but I suppose the best way to say it is that, in your opinion, his opinion is severely misguided... that it may be, but it is still not possible for Darkjedi's opinion to be a wrong opinion, but merely an opinion that is the conclusion of being misinformed... may I suggest perhaps linking Darkjedi to your previous rants against the bad episodes?
Just link him to the ones where opinion was seriously divided.
Old February 28, 2009, 9:52 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ben Dawson View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humor
Old March 1, 2009, 3:48 AM
DarthJedi2005 (Offline)

And I absolutely agree with everything you have said about RTD. Some (oh, okay, most) of his writing IS apalling (New Earth, Love & Monsters, Partners in Crime etc, etc). But I review episodes trying to ignore who wrote it - it makes sure I am without bias towards any particular writer, and it makes it fairer. Even bad writers can give out a good story sometimes. And I, personally, think this is one of those times. Agree with me or not, you have to respect my opinions on this matter.

Or, we could just agree to disagree, and have friendly arguments on the merits and downfalls of particular episodes! (Emphasis on the word friendly - I'm not out to make any enemies!)

And also, how come you never came down this hard on the people who rated it an 8?

Last edited by DarthJedi2005; March 1, 2009 at 3:53 AM
Old March 1, 2009, 8:34 AM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

And also, how come you never came down this hard on the people who rated it an 8?
I think hes just got used to the people that don't mind RTD on here!

I agree it was a good episode but with some weak bits! I don't think I preferred VOTD but there were bits of it which were better than the Next Doctor!
Old March 8, 2009, 12:36 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Originally Posted by Recurring Villain View Post
As far as RTD, and especially Christmas RTD, episodes go, it was one of the better ones. Just remember how the last series ended.

This one actually had some substance in that whole 'next doctor' thing. The Cybermen part was clearly just for the entertainment of the kiddies watching on Christmas.

But there's probably no point discussing this with you, anyway. You decided you hated it before you even watched it.
Actually I was rather open about the whole episode and I thought it was alright before the giant Cyberman appeared and spoilt it for me. I thought Morissey did a good job and I also liked the cameo's of every Doctor too.
Old March 8, 2009, 12:38 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Originally Posted by Jamie Minty View Post

I agree it was a good episode but with some weak bits! I don't think I preferred VOTD but there were bits of it which were better than the Next Doctor!
As I said before, i thought it was a fair episode and there was parts better then VoTD. I thought Morissey did well and Tennant as usual was superb, plus the cameos of each Doctor was wonderful. Then there was Cyberzilla and those weird Cybershades which spoilt it for me.
Old March 8, 2009, 5:56 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Correct. I expect it from some of the old guard by now. Newbies are fair game for my abuse.

Originally Posted by Chris Britton View Post
As I said before, i thought it was a fair episode and there was parts better then VoTD. I thought Morissey did well and Tennant as usual was superb, plus the cameos of each Doctor was wonderful. Then there was Cyberzilla and those weird Cybershades which spoilt it for me.
Agreed about Tennant and Morrissey, but at this point, good acting from Tennant is par for the course considering he's only as good as the script behind him. Morrissey was great, but again, only as good as the script allowed. Plus points for the acting (the actors are rarely the problem though) and severe minus points for shitty writing. All the good acting in the world can't make a bad script good.
Old March 15, 2009, 1:23 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
Agreed about Tennant and Morrissey, but at this point, good acting from Tennant is par for the course considering he's only as good as the script behind him. Morrissey was great, but again, only as good as the script allowed. Plus points for the acting (the actors are rarely the problem though) and severe minus points for shitty writing. All the good acting in the world can't make a bad script good.
Quoted for truth, I plan on keeping the jury out on Moffatt until end of next year. We know he can write a good script; now we just need to see if he can hold down an entire series.
Old March 15, 2009, 1:30 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Quoted for truth, I plan on keeping the jury out on Moffatt until end of next year. We know he can write a good script; now we just need to see if he can hold down an entire series.
Yup. Truth be told, I really can't even bring myself to care much these days. I just hope it starts being good again.
Old March 15, 2009, 2:53 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

Agreed! I know I'll love it because ... I'll want too, I don't like to be negative about things I like!

Interested to see how he will present a series opener!
Old March 15, 2009, 3:54 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
Yup. Truth be told, I really can't even bring myself to care much these days. I just hope it starts being good again.
Agreed, I personally am not getting worked up at all about new Doctor Who, at least it will make episodes less painful to watch if they are shite.

Agreed! I know I'll love it because ... I'll want too, I don't like to be negative about things I like!

Interested to see how he will present a series opener!
Better then RTD is the obvious answer wheres my money?