3/10 - Bad 1 20.00%
2/10 - Horrible 0 0%
1/10 - Unwatchable 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 3, 2012, 2:21 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Doctor Who 7x01 - Asylum of the Daleks

The Doctor, Amy, and Rory are captured by the Daleks and sent to the Asylum, a planet where insane Daleks are exiled, to enable the Asylum to be destroyed before the insane Daleks can escape.
Old September 25, 2012, 6:27 PM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

Spoiler warning

Ok, although I have given this a hasty 7/10, upon review I have decided it deserves more along the lines of 5.5/10.

I really enjoyed how the Daleks were used in this story, and would go as far to say it's the best they've been written in ages, but when the most recent Dalek-centric stories include Victory of the Daleks and Journey's End, then that's not saying much.
There were a couple of things which kind of soured the story for me, and these are the opening and closing of the story respectively.

1. Amy and Rory's divorce seemed to come fast out of nowhere, there had been no hints of an unhappy life between the two until the very last episode of the 5 part mini episodes "Pond Life". Considering it was Amy who instigated it, she acted like a total bitch towards Rory, and it was really not deserved. When she has a hissy fit with Rory when he mentions that he loves her more than she does him, it is completely unbelievable. She states it's because he wants children she can't give, it's unfounded 'cos this guy had guarded over her for 2000 years, thereby proving his unwavering loyalty to her; loyalty she pretty much spits on by separating from him. So this sub plot did nothing for me.

2. The introduction of Jenna-Louise Coleman to the show in this episode was an unexpected and pleasant surprise; not least due to the fact that she gave what I would say was the standout performance in the episode other than Matt Smith.
What really sullied this for me though was when she turned out to be a Dalek at the end. I'm holding onto the hope that Coleman will be playing a different character who ends up the new companion, but if not then I am vastly disappointed by this turn of events, because this effectively makes her River Song Mark II; with us already knowing her fate and her having already known the Doctor. Unoriginal and very Lazy on Moffat's part if it is the case.

So overall, despite the 7 I gave the episode quickly beforehand, I'd actually give it more of a 5.5 out of 10, maybe perhaps leaning slightly towards a 6 for now. Depending on how Jenna-Louise Coleman progresses within the show however, this rating could see a drastic decrease.
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!
Old September 26, 2012, 7:32 AM
Kikka (Offline)

I was kind of disappointed "insane" Daleks were just more angry Daleks. Also I found it funny that there were Daleks from The Chase in intensive care; apparently meeting Dracula and Frankenstein's monster in a haunted house is traumatizing.

Overall I liked it! Matt Smith is becoming more and more of a great Doctor.