DannyStewart.com Forums

Go Back   DannyStewart.com Forums > Doctor Who Forums > Ask Dominic Glynn

Closed Thread

Old April 24, 2007, 5:58 PM
EverybodyelsE (Offline)

How would you go about becoming a composer for TV & Film?

Hi Dominic,

It's good to see you here on the forums and I know I've asked this before but for all other aspiring composers like myself I thought a post here would be good

How would a relatively new composer go about getting into the industry and what advise would you give? Also I think it's important to discuss something that doesn't get mentioned much...Fee's. In a competative business I read somewhere that if you're charging too high you may not get work but to low may damage the whole composers network. Is it better not to quote a client before they give their offer?

Would be awesome if you could make it to the Dalek Masterplan play and meet everyone

Cheers,
Martin Johnson
Old May 7, 2007, 8:49 PM
Dominic Glynn (Offline)
Special Guest

Hi Martin

Good to hear from you again. I honestly don't think there is any magic answer to your main question. Just be good at what you do, keep track of the who's doing what in the TV and film business, and contact people! I always recommend teaming up with young student filmakers - today's students are tomorrow's film directors.

As for fees - always a difficult one. If you can get some idea of whether or not there is a reasonable budget for the project it will help you to be realistic in your quote. As you say, too high and you may price yourself out of the job, and too low and the potential employer may think you're cut-price and bargain-basement and possibly not up to the job!
Let me know the details on the stage production :

Cheers
Closed Thread