DannyStewart.com Forums

Go Back   DannyStewart.com Forums > Doctor Who Forums > Ask Dominic Glynn

Old September 21, 2007, 3:55 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

What would your ideal Doctor Who episode be?

Sorry for my second question in a few days. but this one came to me just now and I had to ask. but if you were asked to write a Doctor Who episode, it can be as long as you want and have anything you need in it, what would be your ideal episode? What would it's plot be, what monsters or locations, and which Doctor and companion(s) would you place in the storyline?
Old October 11, 2007, 8:30 PM
Dominic Glynn (Offline)
Special Guest

It's got to be REALLY scary, dark, menacing, surreal AND funny, and should have the Cybermen (of the Tomb of the Cybermen/Wheel in Space variety). Any chance do you reckon?
Old October 11, 2007, 9:45 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dominic Glynn View Post
It's got to be REALLY scary, dark, menacing, surreal AND funny, and should have the Cybermen (of the Tomb of the Cybermen/Wheel in Space variety). Any chance do you reckon?
Wow -- you can compose music and write stories! Your talent is being wasted not used on Doctor Who.

Seriously though... that sounds about right for me too! The Tomb-era Cybermen were the best of all, hands down!
Old October 12, 2007, 12:39 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Wow! He knows a good Doctor Who story. permission to write to RTD and beg for Dom to get involved?
Old October 12, 2007, 2:19 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chris Britton View Post
permission to write to RTD and beg for Dom to get involved?
We can write an open letter and all sign it.
Old October 13, 2007, 9:11 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

YES! Do it and mail it around!
Old April 8, 2008, 3:05 PM
James P. (Offline)
Uh oh!

My ideal episode is something different, something unlike usual Doctor Who. I had this one idea where the Doctor is working with some Judoon to find and apprehend Davros. So, of course, Davros sends out the troops. The Doctor calculates that if the trajectory is right, the Judoon leader, Varlese, can ram one of the Daleks over. Varlese successfully does so. All the while, the Dalek in question's screaming, "BALANCE HAS BEEN LOST! BALANCE HAS BEEN LOST! ELEVATE! ELEVAAAAATE!" Weeeeell, it elevates alright, right into an elderberry tree.

Loved your theme by the way, Mr. Glynn! It's my favorite.

~TFTID
Old April 13, 2008, 8:45 PM
Dominic Glynn (Offline)
Special Guest

Ok here's my episode...all takes place in the Tardis. Whatever happened to the Tardis being MASSIVE inside, not just a control room? Something weird happens to the Tardis - The Doctor and companion get lost somehow in the depths of of the Tardis. With each successive room they make their way into, things just get WEIRDER. I guess it's some kind of malfunction and somehow, it tries to attack the Doctor. I haven't thought this through really, but someone ought to get writing....
Oh, and can I do the music please?
Old April 13, 2008, 8:55 PM
Kody (Offline)
Admin

Whatever happened to the Tardis being MASSIVE inside, not just a control room?
A very good point! I've been sad with the current series never showing any other rooms, besides that one glimpse during the christmas special when Tennant is looking for his outfit.

No companion bedrooms, no secondary control room, no zero room.. nothing!

Sounds like a really good idea, I hope someone writes that up.

We'd like nothing more.

"What's the point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes?" - The Fourth Doctor
Old April 14, 2008, 1:48 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Ok here's my episode...all takes place in the Tardis.
I've always loved the idea of an entire episode (or at least significant portions of it) taking place entirely within the TARDIS. The only time we've really explored that was way back in the Hartnell era with "The Edge of Destruction." Unfortunately, Russell T Davies has gone on the record saying that he makes it a policy that the TARDIS should only be a means of getting from point A to point B and never become the plot itself -- a policy I wholeheartedly disagree with. I think the TARDIS can facilitate some absolutely amazing stories, without just being a mode of transport.

What I find most troubling is the fact that after four years we still haven't even seen a door leading out of the control room.

Something weird happens to the Tardis - The Doctor and companion get lost somehow in the depths of of the Tardis. With each successive room they make their way into, things just get WEIRDER. I guess it's some kind of malfunction and somehow, it tries to attack the Doctor.
Obviously in its very early stages, but it sounds like a terrific idea for a plot. Would this be related or separate to your earlier idea about a scary story involving the Tomb/Wheel-era Cybermen?

I haven't thought this through really, but someone ought to get writing....
I've felt like writing a Doctor Who story lately. Maybe I'll get cracking on this. Care to help me refine the plot a bit once I get to that point?

First things first -- which Doctor do you envisage, and with which companion(s)?

Once we get RTD and Murray off the new series and get it turned into an episode, of course you can!
Old April 14, 2008, 3:12 AM
Josef Kenny (Offline)
It's a social experiment.

Originally Posted by Dominic Glynn
I think that went the same way as a proper TARDIS scanner and when the TARDIS became made out of coral and a benevolent, organic, sentient being.

I guess it's some kind of malfunction and somehow, it tries to attack the Doctor.
Personally I think that's a much better idea that RTD has managed to think up in the last 3 or so years.

Hopefully we can all band together and bludgeon Murray and sneak you in
Old April 14, 2008, 4:39 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Why can't we just go with our idea of making an fan-episode and then get Dom to compose for us?
Old April 14, 2008, 5:34 AM
Josef Kenny (Offline)
It's a social experiment.

Originally Posted by Chris
Why can't we just go with our idea of making an fan-episode and then get Dom to compose for us?
Only so long as we're helped by the Doctor Who production team sans Murray and RTD, and the episode gets broadcast
Old April 14, 2008, 6:13 AM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

Ok here's my episode...all takes place in the Tardis. Whatever happened to the Tardis being MASSIVE inside, not just a control room? Something weird happens to the Tardis - The Doctor and companion get lost somehow in the depths of of the Tardis. With each successive room they make their way into, things just get WEIRDER. I guess it's some kind of malfunction and somehow, it tries to attack the Doctor. I haven't thought this through really, but someone ought to get writing....
I think this would be a fantastic idea for a story, it would be a brilliant twist seeing as the Tardis is known as a place for safety, and here it would be really dangerous. I think it would throw a lot of kids off.
Maybe there could be some sort of presence of another Time Lord, or a monsterous "mutated" Time Lord...something that the Doctor fears, for that would also make the children unnerved ('cos something that makes them feel safe is that the Doctor rarely ever appears truely terrified).
Yep, I think it could have a whole arrange of possibilities, but the idea is definitely a good one.
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!
Old April 14, 2008, 7:32 AM
Ronnie Rowlands (Offline)
Look who's back!

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
Russell T Davies has gone on the record saying that he makes it a policy that the TARDIS should only be a means of getting from point A to point B and never become the plot itself
B..but.. what about all those shenanigans in series one with the "heart of the Tardis" and absorbing the time vortex from inside it? That was a major plot point!
Old April 14, 2008, 10:42 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowlands View Post
B..but.. what about all those shenanigans in series one with the "heart of the Tardis" and absorbing the time vortex from inside it? That was a major plot point!
... meaning large sections of episodes should never take place inside the TARDIS.