DannyStewart.com Forums

Go Back   DannyStewart.com Forums > Doctor Who Forums > Ask Dominic Glynn

Old January 12, 2008, 4:48 PM
5th Doctor (Offline)

Which theme?

Hi Dominic,
I hope this question has not been asked and if so I apologise lol
When you were tasked to write your version of the theme for Trial, which past version did you find influenced you the most? And which other version of the theme is your favourite apart from your own lol
Best Wishes
Tom
Old January 12, 2008, 5:04 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

He already answered this one, though it was through email between him and Danny.
You can see it in this topic:
http://www.dannystewart.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=8292
Old January 12, 2008, 5:25 PM
5th Doctor (Offline)

Originally Posted by Superkid11 View Post
He already answered this one, though it was through email between him and Danny.
oh well lol
Old January 14, 2008, 7:53 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Superkid11 View Post
Let him have his fun, he's never asked Dom a question before.

Besides, we've had a shortage of questions lately so I'm sure Dom won't mind answering again.
Old February 6, 2008, 7:15 AM
Dominic Glynn (Offline)
Special Guest

Hi Tom

Well actually guys, I can't remember what I said before on this, but I guess I would have said it was the original '63 version that most inspired me. JNT supplied me with a reel of 1/4 inch tape containing all the previous versions to refer to, and it was the pure magic of Delia Derbyshire's totally innovative recording that was really daunting - how could anyone follow that?
Old February 6, 2008, 11:35 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dominic Glynn View Post
Well actually guys, I can't remember what I said before on this, but I guess I would have said it was the original '63 version that most inspired me. JNT supplied me with a reel of 1/4 inch tape containing all the previous versions to refer to, and it was the pure magic of Delia Derbyshire's totally innovative recording that was really daunting - how could anyone follow that?
It doesn't surprise me that your biggest inspiration was the 1963 theme -- and you wouldn't be the first person it inspired (nor the last)!

However I always speculated that the 1967 (Troughton-era) theme gave you at least a few of your ideas. For one thing, it marked the debut of the electronic spangles, which you used in your version. In addition, your theme's bassline (at least on the full-length version) has a subtle delay effect reminiscent of that on the 1967 version of the theme (although yours is much less pronounced). There are a few other things here and there that always made me think you referred back to the 1967 version most often, but perhaps I'm wrong. Does that sound right?
Old February 7, 2008, 1:25 PM
5th Doctor (Offline)

thanks Dominic, that was really insightful,
Cheers
Tom
Old February 12, 2008, 8:42 PM
Dominic Glynn (Offline)
Special Guest

Danny - you're probably right there - Troughton was "my" Who, as he was the first I can remember watching, so I guess that version made the most impact on me at an early age.
Old February 13, 2008, 4:35 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Danny - you're probably right there - Troughton was "my" Who, as he was the first I can remember watching, so I guess that version made the most impact on me at an early age.
I think it's awesome that Doctor Who made an impression on you at a young age, and then you grew up to get the chance to help make it yourself! Not many of us get the chance at something as cool as that!
Old February 13, 2008, 5:21 AM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

I agree, it's not often that you get to work on something that deeply inspired you earlier on in life. I find the idea funny though, that someone who loved watching the classic series when they were younger, ended up working in the classic series. My prime example would be Peter Davison, his favorite Doctor was Patrick Troughton, 'cos it was him that he watched when he watched Doctor Who when he was younger, I find it weird, but it's a good kind of weird. But Peter Davison was very lucky, as he actually got the chance to star along side Patrick Troughton in the very same show he used to watch when he was in his teens...of course, I'm reffering to "The 5 Doctors" (one of my favorites from the classic series).
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!