DannyStewart.com Forums

Go Back   DannyStewart.com Forums > Doctor Who Forums > Mutter's Spiral

Old July 18, 2012, 6:01 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Wanted: traveling companion in time and space

I was browsing the TARDIS Index File the other day when I happened to stumble across this quote:

Eighth Doctor: I don't generally travel alone. Usually I have one or more companions.
Asha Qureshi: Oh, like assistants?
Eighth Doctor: More like… friends.
Juliet Walsh: So what happened to the last one? Couldn't they hack they pace?
Eighth Doctor: "My last one" is off on travels of her own. And she set the bar pretty high for you lot. I've relied on my companions for help, advice, an alternative perspective, and general camaraderie. I've relied on their skills, knowledge, bravery, and sense of morality. You need to be self-motivated, as we'll often have to split up to get things done faster. But also capable of working harmoniously with me and anybody else who might join us in my TARDIS. That's my time and space machine, incidentally.
Asha Qureshi: Oh, yes, it says that in the pack.
Eighth Doctor: What I don't want is selfishness, close-mindedness, disloyalty. That's why I've asked you four here today: to find out which of you has what it takes. Any questions?
It's from a Big Finish audio, obviously, and it comes from the "modern era" of Doctor Who (meaning polluted by the new series). I can't decide how much new series influence has crept into this writing.

The idea of "auditioning" companions is somewhat House-like (could very well have been inspired by House), but I don't like the idea of "companion" being such a well-defined role. House obviously needs a team, but I'm not sure the Doctor "needs" companions in the same way, particularly not so much as to go out and audition potential candidates. Companions are found organically, and I feel like it cheapens the role of companion to have the Doctor go and seek someone out.

That said, the description of what a companion should be is pretty good for the most part, and I like the persistent references to the Doctor having more than one companion.