DannyStewart.com Forums

Go Back   DannyStewart.com Forums > Doctor Who Forums > Ask Dominic Glynn

Closed Thread

Old May 31, 2007, 1:12 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Theme for today's Doctor Who

Hi Dom!

I figure I'd take advantage of this section to post my more random questions rather than bothering you via email with them.

A thought occurred to me the other day, and it has to do with today's version of Doctor Who. I was curious... when people ask you how you'd approach a "new theme" for Doctor Who, I'm pretty sure that question is always being asked in a general sense, and not bearing in mind the relevance of the new series.

My questions is this: If you were hired to work the new series of Doctor Who (and my prayers were answered ), what would your new version of the theme music sound like specifically for this version of Doctor Who, as opposed to just making a new theme on its own? It would need to suit the tone of the show and not be out of place. Do you think Murray Gold was going down the only road he could when he decided to do a mostly orchestral theme, or do you think a more heavily electronic version of the theme would not be out of place on RTD's Doctor Who? (This is assuming you had free reign with the music, of course, and not be limited by RTD's or the production team's restrictions.)

Additionally, I am very curious to ask you about this... I read an interview with Murray Gold in Sound on Sound magazine, and he was quoted as saying this: "There was only one type of music that they specifically didn't want, and that was Radiophonic Workshop-style electronic stuff." How do you feel about that? I realize this falls somewhat outside your purview as you're a composer and not a television producer, so it's not really your place to argue with the production team, but I'm still very curious how you feel about that. Personally I'd love a heavy electronic soundtrack. I think it could be executed very well these days and wouldn't be out of place on this version of Doctor Who at all... RTD just won't give it a chance.

Anyway, thanks for your time!
Old June 15, 2007, 8:14 PM
Dominic Glynn (Offline)
Special Guest

Well I guess the idea of using an orchestra combined with electronics is the best way forward, both for the theme and the incidentals. As I think I mentioned once before. ideally I would treat each story differently. Some stories would definitely benefit from a purely radiophonic-style score - it would just need to sound "bigger" than the traditional old-style Who electronics. There are numerous film scores that use electronics and I would attempt to create a more filmic style of score for the show, whether with an orchestra or electronics.
Old June 15, 2007, 9:52 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I'm inclined to agree with you on that. I think electronic sound is a powerful tool -- but also a precision tool. Perhaps a totally electronic soundtrack wouldn't work for the Doctor Who that we have today, but I think a soundtrack that still relies heavily on electronics would work just fine. I swear one of these days I'm going to remove the music from a new series episode and send it over to you to rescore, perhaps 60% electronic and 40% orchestral.

Heh, there's so much stuff I wouldn't mind having you score or rescore for me. But I suppose I have to let you get on with your own life and work.
Closed Thread