2/5 - Below Average 0 0%
1/5 - Poor 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 23, 2006, 8:01 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Doctor Who 2x02 - "Tooth and Claw"

In this week's episode of Doctor Who, the Doctor and Rose travel back to the year 1879 when an encounter in the Scottish Highlands with Queen Victoria and a band of Warrior Monks reveals a deadly trap, dating back centuries. Perhaps the local legends about a werewolf could really be true.

I thought that this week's episode of Doctor Who was absolutely fantastic. I was captivated from start to finish, which is rare for Russell T Davies's episodes. I'll even go so far as to say that this is the best script that Russell T Davies has ever contributed to Doctor Who -- it was very unlike what I got from his other scripts. Funny how it goes, in my opinion, from RTD's worst one week to RTD's best the following week. Anyway, brilliant work, top notch effort, and a 5/5 from me!

Note: I've just put up a poll for last week's episode, "New Earth," so please vote on that now as well!
Old April 23, 2006, 9:05 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Much better! This was a definate improvement over episode one, the writing was easier to follow, David Tennant really returned to form this time, my only complaint was that the werewolf was not scary, i felt a bit unconvinced because i have seen werewovles before, which marked it down for me, But i still give it a 4 out of 5, very respective and considering that i would have given last week 2 out of 5 if i was not generous, the series has taken away most of my doubts so far, But RTD needs to find the same scary feeling he did with 'The Lonely child', however, good writing, science and acting, and this made it is very good episode, and kept me gluded to see what happened rather then just loyalty and seeing K9 and Sarah jane Smith coming up gives me good hopes for a 5 next week. Lets bring ti on!
Old April 23, 2006, 1:52 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Ive got to say I was disappointed. The monks served no apparent purpose at all in the episode, it would've been just as good without them and if they coudnt escape because they had been locked in. Still an okay episode, 4/5 for me. I must say that Series 2 has not been very good for me so far.

Old April 23, 2006, 6:23 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

The monks did serve a purpose. They were frigging awesome when they went around beating the crap out of people.

And also, 3/5 and then 4/5 is hardly a bad season so far!
Old April 24, 2006, 10:52 AM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

I think id like to change my vote for this episode to 3/5. The Scottish accents were cheesy .

Old April 24, 2006, 3:39 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

I can't see any reason to the monks, one guy would have been enough, he was sinister for me, but the others were a bit unconvincing, i would have prefered a single guy, insane, doing what he thinks is right. However this series is still finding it's feet, and i am expecting good things from episode 3
Old April 24, 2006, 4:50 PM
Ronnie Rowlands (Offline)
Look who's back!

""But RTD needs to find the same scary feeling he did with 'The Lonely child"

Chris, RTD didn't write that episode And ts called "the empty child"
Old April 24, 2006, 9:49 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ronn
Chris, RTD didn't write that episode And ts called "the empty child"
Touché on both counts, Ronn. Steven Moffat penned the most excellent "The Empty Child" -- you can't give RTD credit for that! Considering that "Tooth and Claw" was RTD's episode, I think he deserves a lot of credit compared with his previous episodes.
Old April 25, 2006, 5:17 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

I am givng RTD credit, it was a good improvement over 'New Earth' lets hope things get better.
Old April 25, 2006, 6:00 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I'm sure they will, don't worry. Next week's looks fantastic.
Old April 25, 2006, 10:39 AM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Originally Posted by Ross Hendrie
I think id like to change my vote for this episode to 3/5. The Scottish accents were cheesy .
Please....

EDIT: w00t, my 2000th post!

Old April 25, 2006, 12:53 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

What a way to reach 2000 posts
Old April 25, 2006, 6:06 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Yeah, really... asking to lower a vote on a Doctor Who episode? *gasp* The horror!

Ross, I can't change votes, because it's kept track of who has voted for what, and if I attempt to modify that, it'll mess up the whole system and the vote count will no longer be accurate for everyone. I'm sorry but you'll have to live with the choice that you originally made. Besides, I won't allow you to lower a vote simply because you're unhappy with accents of all things... I initially interpreted your post as sarcastic and am now slightly dismayed to hear that you meant it.
Old April 26, 2006, 3:21 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Danny, it is his opinion if he did not seem to impresed with the episode, to some extent i can't blame him. thias season has not been as good so far, although as mention i thought this one was a big improvement, and figures show 900,000 more people tuned in, however i can;t exacrtly complain if he wants to change, i liked it, he was not so sure, lets leave it at that, this is for opinions.

One thing I would ilke to say, does anyone feel that Queen Victoria's mention of making an institude called 'Torchwood was slightly corny? I know it will soon hit British screens as a spin off, but do they have to make it seems so plain, can;t they do what they did with Bad Wolf and slip it in, as they slipped 'Torchwood' references into the 1st season Finale and TCI, But i felt to announce it out loud was a bit plain and off, does anyone else feel like it? I might be sounding silly with this all, i just Hope RTD won't use this series as a way to constantly remind us of Torchwood.

Last edited by Chris Britton; April 26, 2006 at 3:27 PM
Old April 26, 2006, 3:51 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Indeed, I hope that too. Oh, I heard that Captain Jack will actually be in this series, but I dont know for sure. Something to do with Torchwood apparently, setting the scene etc.

Old April 26, 2006, 3:55 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chris Britton
Danny, it is his opinion if he did not seem to impresed with the episode, to some extent i can't blame him. thias season has not been as good so far, although as mention i thought this one was a big improvement, and figures show 900,000 more people tuned in, however i can;t exacrtly complain if he wants to change, i liked it, he was not so sure, lets leave it at that, this is for opinions.
Perhaps you didn't read the first half of my post, or perhaps I just wasn't clear enough. Due to limitations in the way the vBulletin message board software works, I am not able to change his vote in the system because I have enabled tracking of who has voted for what, and I can only change the numbers themselves, which would corrupt the voting system for this poll. Now do you get it? He made his choice, and if he doesn't like it now, then all I can say is that he should have thought it through more thoroughly before making his vote.

Originally Posted by Chris Britton
One thing I would ilke to say, does anyone feel that Queen Victoria's mention of making an institude called 'Torchwood was slightly corny? I know it will soon hit British screens as a spin off, but do they have to make it seems so plain, can;t they do what they did with Bad Wolf and slip it in, as they slipped 'Torchwood' references into the 1st season Finale and TCI, But i felt to announce it out loud was a bit plain and off, does anyone else feel like it? I might be sounding silly with this all, i just Hope RTD won't use this series as a way to constantly remind us of Torchwood.
Your comparison really is invalid because "Bad Wolf" and "Torchwood" are meant to be completely different things. The whole Bad Wolf thing was meant to be mysterious and sneaky, and this is meant to be anything but. They're just explaining how and why Torchwood is set up -- it needs to be set up because of the Doctor, but they can't explain much about the Doctor on Torchwood because it's not Doctor Who. So they need to set it up here. They did make it a bit obvious, but they just need to set it up. I'm sure from here on out we won't hear much about it.
Old April 27, 2006, 2:25 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

I hope we don't hear much more about 'Torchwood' references, we know it's being made, lets just wait for it to appear and enjoy Doctor Who's moment in the year. And another Crhistmas special this year
Old April 27, 2006, 7:19 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I already commented on that in my post. But I don't think we'll get more references now that it's being set up.
Old April 27, 2006, 9:25 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

I agree
Old April 27, 2006, 10:18 AM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart
Now do you get it? He made his choice, and if he doesn't like it now, then all I can say is that he should have thought it through more thoroughly before making his vote.
Excuse me? Why was this kind of hostility warranted?

Oh, and btw Sarah-Jane Smith was on the news this morning doing an interview, it showed some cool clips from the old series heh. Also there were some shots of this week's episode, it looks really good.

Closed Thread