1/10 - Unwatchable 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 18, 2006, 7:29 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Doctor Who 2x05 - "Rise of the Cybermen"

Plot Summary
The TARDIS is trapped on a parallel Earth and Rose discovers that her father is still alive... But sinister forces are at work, and British society is being prepared for the ultimate upgrade. Meanwhile, an old enemy of the Doctor's is about to be reborn.

Danny's Review
Well, I found this week's episode very enjoyable for a lot of reasons. I would like to say that the script was a little shy of the brilliance we saw with, say, Steven Moffat's scripts, but it was still very good. I can't say "above average" or "above par" because all the scripts for this show are good. The directing for this episode, done by classic series veteran Graeme Harper, was brilliant, and really stood out in my opinion. And any flaws in the writing (while not numerous) were more than made up for by the Cybermen themselves. I wasn't sure, but they have come out beautifully, and they really have the potential to be an incredibly creepy new breed of Cybermen. Virtually every scene came close to sending chills down my spine, and I jumped at a few of the moments during the episode. Well done to the design team because they've created another classic! It was also great to see the mention of "International Electromatics," the company that was the cover for the Cybermen invasion force in the Patrick Troughton episode "The Invasion."

Next Week
The exciting conclusion -- "The Age of Steel" next Saturday, May 20!
Old May 18, 2006, 9:30 AM
Ronnie Rowlands (Offline)
Look who's back!

Well, this episode is certinately the best episode of the series, and the only one that I didnt shudder at when I saw Tennants acting. There was no shouting, no messing about, no clever in-joking, basically, I mean that RTD didn't write this episode. Which is good, as RTD always writes the Doc as a shouty idiot. I did really like this episode, and it was great to see the cybermen again. I particularly liked Don Warrington as the president, he is one of my favourite actors. He also made the universe more parralel, I mean, when did you ever hear of a black president? Oh, no cliff hanger on this one? A great show .
Old May 18, 2006, 9:38 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ronn
Well, this episode is certinately the best episode of the series, and the only one that I didnt shudder at when I saw Tennants acting.
Ooh, ouch. That was harsh. I always feel that David Tennant gives 110%, whatever the material he's given with... he can't do brilliance with horrible material, but he still does an outstanding job pretty much whenever.

There was no shouting, no messing about, no clever in-joking, basically, I mean that RTD didn't write this episode. Which is good, as RTD always writes the Doc as a shouty idiot.
I'm going to have to agree at least to some extent with that statement. I agree that the non-RTD episodes do tend to be better, although not necessarily specifically because he's written as a "shouty idiot." But I share your sentiments. Non-RTD is generally always preferable.

I did really like this episode, and it was great to see the cybermen again. I particularly liked Don Warrington as the president, he is one of my favourite actors. He also made the universe more parralel, I mean, when did you ever hear of a black president? Oh, no cliff hanger on this one? A great show .
What's wrong with the idea of a black president? I guarantee we'll have one within the next ten years or so. They're just a bit further ahead but it's certainly not a ridiculous prospect. But yes, the Cybermen were fantastic, and Don Warrington was very good, and I can't wait until next week's.
Old May 18, 2006, 11:38 AM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Excellent episode, best of the series so far by far.

I do have a few thoughts, then again. For starters the 'President', no monarchy! Poor.

Old May 19, 2006, 7:11 AM
Look who's back!

Don't know if any of you noticed, but there was a president of Britain,and as we all know, we have a prime minister.. Just little twists like that make the earth more paralell. This was the only episode where the Doctor didn't do any of his childish shouting. I absolutely hate it when he does that. (i.e. school reunion- CORRRRRR-ECTO-MONDEAU!)
Old May 19, 2006, 9:05 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Don't know if any of you noticed, but there was a president of Britain,and as we all know, we have a prime minister.. Just little twists like that make the earth more paralell.
Yes, I noticed.

This was the only episode where the Doctor didn't do any of his childish shouting. I absolutely hate it when he does that. (i.e. school reunion- CORRRRRR-ECTO-MONDEAU!)
My full thoughts about the Doctor's shouting are expressed above, although I will say that I loved his "correctamundo" line in "School Reunion" and thought he acted it will, tacking on "a word I've never used before and hopefully never will again" onto the end of the line. But whatever... I enjoy those aspects of the Doctor's character. Shoot me.
Old May 19, 2006, 1:57 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Another good episode, a bit shy of Cybermen untill the end, but ti made for an exicting cliffhangar, my mouth is still drooling, lets hope it gets better
Old May 19, 2006, 2:52 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Well, why not prolong the build-up to the Cybermen's appearance and then give everyone some good Cyber action in the second part? If it's going to be a two-parter anyway, you have nothing to lose.
Old May 19, 2006, 4:07 PM
Bajoran Rogue (Offline)

Did anyone else notice that the Big Issue seller paused for the upgrade? How'd he afford the ear pod things. Just seems odd to go to the bother of including him then not having him act like he's homeless.
Old May 19, 2006, 5:25 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

lol Yeah I thought that was odd.

Also, did you guys think that like the wall of Cybermen that appeared at every escape route was soo cool and intimidating?

Old May 20, 2006, 11:50 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Cybus Industries deliberately made the ear pods very cheap, because their motive for selling them was not profit, but control. Simple explanation.

And yeah, Ross, I loved the multiple Cyberman walls.
Old May 21, 2006, 2:41 AM
Look who's back!

One thing that bugs me is how do they never seem to be able to get away from the Cybermen. Because I'm sure that even Stephen Hawkings would win a 100m sprint against the Cybermen even if the Cybermen had a head start....
Old May 22, 2006, 8:25 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

A) There's too many of them.
B) They never stop. They would catch up with you eventually because you would have to stop at some point. You can't go on forever; they can.
Closed Thread