1/5 - Poor 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 8, 2005, 10:47 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Doctor Who 1x07 - "The Long Game"

This week on Doctor Who:

The Doctor, Rose and Adam find themselves on Satellite 5 in the year 200,000 where Earth is meant to be at the forefront of a mighty galactic empire. But something has gone wrong: humanity's development has stalled, and the Doctor suspects that it has something to do with the media transmissions bombarding the populace, emanating from the space station. It soon becomes clear that the answer lies on the mysterious Floor 500, abode of the sinister Editor. The Doctor and Rose investigate, while Adam risks everything by immersing himself in the culture of the far future.

I thought last night's episode was extremely enjoyable! It had a very inventive plot (reminiscent of the classic Doctor Who) and some wonderful acting by all. What did everyone else think?
Old May 8, 2005, 1:22 PM
Bajoran Rogue (Offline)

It was good, things on the station were different enough and yet similar enough to the present day be believablly what society could develop into.

Last edited by Bajoran Rogue; May 8, 2005 at 1:25 PM
Old May 8, 2005, 1:56 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Absolutley stupendious. Very worthy of Doctor Who and with really intresting twists. Especially that bit about floor 500. Where they myhts about gold are false and hwo you meet a rather nasty death. The bit with the brains and the computers was also cool and this epsidoes really shows me what the Doctor can do. but i felt Adam was a pain in the ass. but that bit when his mum clickes her fingers and exposes his brain port was funny. You could see ti coming and shows hwo the bits of Humor which are a part of why Doctor Who is so great. A really good episode and one of my favorites.
Old May 8, 2005, 3:07 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

So glad you seem to have enjoyed it so much, Chris! You too Drex! I thought this episode's story was very reminiscent of the old Doctor Who series. Sort of a "how did they come up with this idea?" story but at the same time very well written and, as Drex says, even relevant to today's society.
Old May 9, 2005, 11:55 AM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

A good episode, nothing special in my opinion, however still very enjoyable.

Old May 9, 2005, 1:41 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I think that was the point, Ross. That's what made it so enjoyable was that it was a refreshing breather from the series introduction, the far future with dozens of crazy aliens, the past with ethereal body-snatchers, an invasion and attempted destruction of Earth, and the Daleks! Because we could just sit back this time through and immerse ourselves in a less-than-complicated but still very enjoyable plot, I enjoyed this episode a great deal. My string of 5/5 votes remains unbroken.
Old May 9, 2005, 3:04 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

My vote as well remain the same, next ot the dalek episode, this one ranks among my favorites. One of my favorite things about Doctor Who is that the plots can be silly, they can be random. But that is what makes them great and funny. The fact that it is an entirely new plot and is never predictable. It keeps you on your seats. The plot has no ned to be complicated, it just has to be good, and with what we have seen so far, i am impressed extremely, i look forward to seeing this series out on DVD.
Old May 9, 2005, 6:55 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Chris, that is extremely well put and I'm so glad that's what you think! You seem to have really found a favorite in the new Doctor Who.

Last edited by Danny Stewart; May 10, 2005 at 5:14 AM Reason: Accidentally posted in wrong thread
Old May 10, 2005, 4:37 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Thanky ou for your kind words Danny. I think the producers have really come good with Doctor Who and each episode is as flawless as the last. They are what Sci-fi should be. I was really unhappy as i did not get the chance to see the old series so i did know much about it. But when i heard there was a new one on the books I was overjoyed. I was really tense as i really wanted to see it. Now i have i have really gotten into it and i see why it was so popular. I am really into it now. I look forward to seeing it on DVD. I would honestly say that Doctor Who is one of the greatest Sci-Fi shows ever made. An di am sure some of you would agree. Saturday Night at 7:00 Pm is always my alone time, as then i can indulge in Doctor Who.
Old May 10, 2005, 5:15 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Wonderful, Chris, absolutely wonderful. Or as the Doctor would say, fantastic!
Old May 10, 2005, 7:26 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Thank you. That is really kind. And yes the Doctor wouls say that. And i must add. How Do they come up with such fascinating plots each and every time. They must have such good minds at work. So long as they don't put Bevus and Butthead (A.K.A Berman and Braga) In charge. God help the Doctor there.
Old May 10, 2005, 10:46 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Don't worry, Doctor Who will never fall into the hands of Berman and Braga. And they do have some fantastic writers at work on that show. Believe it or not, eight of the thirteen episodes in the first series are written by Russell T. Davies. He has written Rose, The End of the World, Aliens of London, World War Three, The Long Game, Boom Town (episode 11), Bad Wolf (episode 12), and Parting of the Ways (episode 13). Plus he'll be writing the Christmas special. I'm glad he has such a wonderful vision of the show. With someone less creatively talented at the helm, Doctor Who could have failed in its return.
Old May 10, 2005, 10:49 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

So let us thank our lucky Stars it has proven to be a critical success. I would hope that things can continue this way, we would have lots to talk about. And i hope these 13 episodes and the Christmas special will be good for watching.

Long live Doctor Who!
Old May 10, 2005, 11:13 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

We still have the Christmas special to look forward to after this series, plus another thirteen episodes with a whole new Doctor! That means a regeneration is in store, too. I'm very excited. I actually think this could work very well for the future of the series. This really could be the show that lives forever. Think of it. There is no limitation due to actors -- even if the Doctor decides not to continue, all you need to do is recast the role. The same goes for companions. After six, eight, ten or more years, the series might begin to lose its way. This is to be expected -- it happens to every good show. But it might be cancelled... but so what? Cancellation certainly doesn't mean the end for Doctor Who. In another five to fifteen years, the right mind will come along, walk into the BBC's head office and say, "It's time to bring back Doctor Who." Absolute genius, this is. Long live Doctor Who indeed!
Old May 10, 2005, 11:25 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Yes i agree. It worked this tiem so why not again. They took a break. brought ti back and look how nice thngs have become. I am impressed. And there are many possibilites and chances for this. I think we have a lot to look forward to and i hope that this will last for many many years to come.
Old May 10, 2005, 11:27 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I am sure we will have many more years of Doctor Who to enjoy. You can't kill a television legend like this.
Old May 10, 2005, 3:21 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Yes. To kill ti off would be a disgreace. I would lead a protest, and fly you all to Britain
Old May 10, 2005, 3:41 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I'm first in line to go to Britain! I'd love to go there one day.
Old May 11, 2005, 2:54 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Well apart from the unpredictable weather you would like it there. As long as you can get something to do while we protest at the BBC
Old May 11, 2005, 4:49 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I'll find something. Put the plans on the drawing board!
Closed Thread