DannyStewart.com Forums

Go Back   DannyStewart.com Forums > General Discussion > Creative Corner

Old November 7, 2007, 3:20 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Remixed version of Dominic Glynn's original demo theme

Hello everyone,

It is with great pleasure that I am able to post here on DannyStewart.com an exclusive remixed version of Dominic Glynn's original demo theme for Doctor Who. The original demo was made back in 1986 before Dom made the final versions of his theme. Recently, Dom found this old demo version on an 8-track in his collection that he'd forgotten about. He graciously agreed to send me a copy of it, but he warned me that it was totally unmastered and sounded less than stellar, to put it mildly, and told me not to share it with anybody.

I disagreed, though, and while the mix may have been unmastered, I really liked some of the ideas in there, including one or two that didn't make it into his final theme. So I set about producing a remastered and remixed version of the demo theme that I could share with him to show that he had actually produced a great version of the theme, even if it wasn't mastered properly. My new version has been brought up to date a little bit, but overall retains the feel of the original.

I am proud to say that Dom was very impressed with my demo remix, so he has kindly granted me permission to post it for others to listen to. This remix provides a rare glimpse into both the past and the future...

It is now my honor and privilege to present my own remix of Dominic Glynn's original demo theme for Doctor Who.

Please note that this is a DannyStewart.com exclusive. Please do not redistribute it.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 dgdemoremix.mp3 (771.8 KB, 38 views)
Old November 7, 2007, 4:49 PM
Ronnie Rowlands (Offline)
Look who's back!

for some reason, the bassline strikes me as a very unusual fusion of the 80's bassline and Delaware bassline. Weird, eh?

You've done a very good job there by the way, well done.
Old November 7, 2007, 5:07 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowlands View Post
for some reason, the bassline strikes me as a very unusual fusion of the 80's bassline and Delaware bassline. Weird, eh?
I'll take that as a compliment. That will be the "second layer" that I've added in. Upon reflection, it is sort of like a hybrid of the Howell and Delaware second layers.

You've done a very good job there by the way, well done.
Thanks very much.
Old November 7, 2007, 5:14 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

VERY good job! Well done!
Old November 7, 2007, 5:17 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Superkid11 View Post
VERY good job! Well done!
Thank you very much!

The real credit goes to Dom, though. I only updated his excellent work.
Old November 7, 2007, 5:26 PM
Dalek104 (Offline)

Wow, that sounds superb. Well done to both of you!
Old November 7, 2007, 5:41 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dalek104 View Post
Wow, that sounds superb. Well done to both of you!
Thank you, James!
Old November 8, 2007, 12:12 PM
Josef Kenny (Offline)
It's a social experiment.

I've told you before, but I think its great! I love the way you've added the extra bass layers and polished it up a bit.
Old November 8, 2007, 12:40 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rat Souffle View Post
I've told you before, but I think its great! I love the way you've added the extra bass layers and polished it up a bit.
Thank you!
Old November 8, 2007, 1:31 PM
Ronnie Rowlands (Offline)
Look who's back!

Although I suppose no one will ever know how much it has been changed unless we heard the original.
Old November 8, 2007, 1:41 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Although I suppose no one will ever know how much it has been changed unless we heard the original.
Which I'm not at liberty to share, I'm afraid.

I can however post just the elements that I've added to it...
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 dgdemoremix_ds.mp3 (771.8 KB, 15 views)
Old November 10, 2007, 2:27 PM
The Moonlit Door (Offline)

Hi Danny, I'm very glad I stopped by.

It's a wonderful gesture for Dominic Glynn to make this adaptation of his work available to us.

My favourite part of it is what's been done with the opening sting. Much more ominous than the sting Glynn eventually went with.

The rest sounds more whimsical than the Trial version as well, and for some reason much more grounded. For instance the whistle-like sounds seem less digitized and I think say "Cosmic Hobo" more obviously.

Great stuff, loved it.

This said, I'd love to hear a Doctor Who theme from somebody that was wholly their own take on the music, not a remix, or involving samples, but generated purely by the musician. Any takers?
Old November 10, 2007, 8:37 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Moonlit Door View Post
Hi Danny, I'm very glad I stopped by.
Always great to see you around these parts.

It's a wonderful gesture for Dominic Glynn to make this adaptation of his work available to us.
I agree, it's very generous of him!

My favourite part of it is what's been done with the opening sting. Much more ominous than the sting Glynn eventually went with.
Definitely -- the sting is probably my favorite part of the mix as well. It's possible that the only reason he changed it was to conform to the existing visuals for the titles; the reversed sting doesn't work too well with the graphics that were forced on him. He told me once that it was very restricting to have to create a new theme that conformed with graphics that were already made and polished -- I can definitely understand that!

The rest sounds more whimsical than the Trial version as well, and for some reason much more grounded. For instance the whistle-like sounds seem less digitized and I think say "Cosmic Hobo" more obviously.
I would tend to agree, although I have to admit that I think a little of that comes from the remastering work that I did. The original demo was much more grounded, not to mention somewhat thin-sounding. I added some significant stereo separation and reverb, which loosened things up a bit. I also added my own secondary melody line over top of the whole thing, which might be the "less digitized" component you're referring to. His original melody does sound slightly different to his final theme, but it still comes out sounding a bit thin. Of course I don't mean to insult his original demo theme! I really loved quite a few of the ideas in there, and I thought they deserved a chance to shine, which is why I did the remix in the first place. Dom totally gets all the credit here.

Great stuff, loved it.

This said, I'd love to hear a Doctor Who theme from somebody that was wholly their own take on the music, not a remix, or involving samples, but generated purely by the musician. Any takers?
I only have about a million of my own versions scattered around various hard drives throughout my house.

Admittedly, many of them are unfinished, but there are quite a few that I've done that do not rely on any samples or other versions. I'll try and post a couple for you when I can.
Old November 11, 2007, 4:47 AM
The Moonlit Door (Offline)

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
Definitely -- the sting is probably my favorite part of the mix as well. It's possible that the only reason he changed it was to conform to the existing visuals for the titles; the reversed sting doesn't work too well with the graphics that were forced on him.
No, I've just played it alongside the titles and it doesn't go at all.

He told me once that it was very restricting to have to create a new theme that conformed with graphics that were already made and polished -- I can definitely understand that!
Yes, quite. Peter Howell and Sid Sutton were able to collaborate more because they were doing the music and the titles at the same time.

His original melody does sound slightly different to his final theme, but it still comes out sounding a bit thin. Of course I don't mean to insult his original demo theme! I really loved quite a few of the ideas in there, and I thought they deserved a chance to shine, which is why I did the remix in the first place. Dom totally gets all the credit here.
Yes, exactly, it's a demo after all. Just a summary of where he wanted to take the theme.

I only have about a million of my own versions scattered around various hard drives throughout my house. Admittedly, many of them are unfinished, but there are quite a few that I've done that do not rely on any samples or other versions. I'll try and post a couple for you when I can.
That'd be great. Murray Gold's version is starting to sound very stale these days…(!)
Old November 20, 2007, 10:38 AM
BritCanuck (Offline)

Murray Gold's version is starting to sound very stale these days…(!)
He said in either a radio or podcast interview that he was working on a revamped version of his theme, but no one's heard anything since, so that's probably still just a rumor at this stage.

"Avon Calling." "Nice Try."

Altered by Recurring Villain
Good, but replace the third line with something like "but I'm on hand to save the day" so that blah de blah wibble dobble lexicon gibberish.
Old November 20, 2007, 1:19 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by BritCanuck View Post
He said in either a radio or podcast interview that he was working on a revamped version of his theme, but no one's heard anything since, so that's probably still just a rumor at this stage.
Yes, but what did you think of the demo theme?
Old December 1, 2007, 7:06 PM
BritCanuck (Offline)

It's great. I like the opening sting, much more sinister than the "spangle" in the broadcast version. Perhaps he'll get to officially release the demo version one day, maybe on a 50th Anniversary album?

Good, but replace the third line with something like "but I'm on hand to save the day" so that blah de blah wibble dobble lexicon gibberish.
Old December 3, 2007, 12:53 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by BritCanuck View Post
It's great. I like the opening sting, much more sinister than the "spangle" in the broadcast version. Perhaps he'll get to officially release the demo version one day, maybe on a 50th Anniversary album?
I don't think so, I'm afraid. He's told me he's not very proud of the demo theme, so I doubt he'd really want it to see release in any form! His exact words were "sounds like shit," "completely flat and untreated," and "please don't spread this far and wide or I'll never work again!"

Somehow I doubt we'll ever be seeing this on CD.
Old December 11, 2007, 1:08 AM
BritCanuck (Offline)

That is Mr. Glynn's choice, of course, but I think it's a good demo.

Old November 10, 2008, 1:21 PM
James P. (Offline)
Uh oh!

Necromancing again? Shame to me!

Anyway... Whoa. This is awesome, really awesome. I'd love to use this in a series if I ever made one. Too bad I can't. Oh well, easy come, easy go!

Due to the fact all of you except Keff McCulloch, Danny Stewart, Recurring Villain, and a few others don't know how to be nice, I am leaving. The only reason I've stayed as long as I have is Danny's great mixes. As soon as I can, you will be reported to THE FBI.

Have a nice day,
James P. Quick