2/5 - Below Average 0 0%
1/5 - Poor 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 1, 2005, 10:22 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Doctor Who 1x06 - "Dalek"

This week, a landmark episode of the new Doctor Who series. The return of the Daleks!

In the year 2012, the foremost collector of alien artifacts is the wealthy Henry van Statten. The TARDIS is drawn to his underground museum by a distress call from van Statten's latest acquisition... which, to the Doctor's horror, turns out to be a Dalek. The creature is badly damaged and initially powerless, until it is inadvertently freed by Rose and Adam Mitchell, one of van Statten's brilliant young researchers. As the Dalek rampages through van Statten's compond, Rose finds herself developing an eerie connection with the murderous creature.

You are welcome to express your true opinion here, but please note that if you do not vote 5/5 you risk extermination by the Daleks!
Old May 1, 2005, 3:25 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Sorry Danny. I liked the episode, really, but i felt they could have done mroe with it. I liked how the Dalek went on the hunt and killed anything in it's way. It was terrafiying. BUt i really hoped for more out of it. Sorry.
Old May 1, 2005, 4:27 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

PHENOMINALLY FANTASTICALLY BRILLIANTLY FABULOUS!! It was a brilliant episode, a fitting return for the Daleks, it also exlains a little more as to how the Timelords were made extinct. Although i wasn't really scared of the Dalek, i think that their reputation as dustbins just makes them a joke.
It also shines some light as to the actualy colour of the Dalek creatures, it's interesting to know that they're blue and not green like Danny said lol. Also it is good that they can go up stairs now, that might improve their reputation slightly. As for the Dalek laser, the visual effects for that part were great.
As for the part about Rose actually stopping the Doctor from destroying the Dalek, i dont see why she did that when it had already brutally murdered 200 people in the facility. Also i thought it was funny when the Doctor was going through the non-catalogued weapons, "Broken, broken, hair dryer." lol That part was hilarious.
If that Dalek did really kill itself, then ill never forgive the writers for killing off the Daleks, they just cant do it, i mean they cant... I hope it teleported away and is out to create more Daleks. They cant be dead!

Old May 1, 2005, 4:53 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

The bit with the weapons was good. It was funny as he shifted through them all. But the ending was dissapointing. I hope they do not kill off the Daleks. I think they have to put in more of them. If they kill them off i will frown and get angry. One dalek did not do as much when you could have had more. But it was relentless and seeing how people did nothing to Harm it kept me on the edge of my seats. It was really good to see how things went down to they wire with Rose trying to escape. But right at the end when the Dalek comes out of it's shell was good and sad. I like it. And helps us to establish more info on the Doc.
Old May 1, 2005, 7:40 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Ross, the Daleks were green in the old series. It was shown multiple times. So don't tell me they're not green like I said. They just decided to change the color for the new series because every alien is green.

I thought the new Daleks were terrifying. They said that every visible weakness on the Dalek was made into something deadly, and well done too.

Chris, what more could you have hoped for out of that episode? It was great! And I know for a fact that's not the last of the Daleks, regardless of whether or not that one was destroyed, so calm down, folks.
Old May 2, 2005, 3:03 PM
Bajoran Rogue (Offline)

I thought the Dalek in the episode looked sort of greenish blue, perhpas that was just me.
I found the part where the Dalek said "elavate," or something like that, when going up the stairs to be humerous.
I felt really sorry for the Dalek, like the Doctor it had nothing left, and right up to its death it was only looking for orders, it wanted Rose to order it to die.
Old May 3, 2005, 10:34 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

I liked how they ended it however. Where it goes off and we don't know what happened to it. And it was a sad ending too. I decided to re-watch the episode. I had a good look. I feel that i did make a mistake with my vote. I would be very happy if you could change it Danny. Please? I felt that i had to make sure. As i did like it. But it really brought out a lot of emotions and helped us to understand moe of the Daleks and the Doctor. I reckon there could be more of them out there. And i hope we can find out. I did pity the Dalek and the Doctor. In a way they were alike.

Please change my vote Danny. Thanks.
Old May 3, 2005, 11:16 AM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Well that particular Dalek has probably been destroyed, as when it was surrounded by the sphere of spheres, it looked like some kind of shield went up and then there was an explosion inside, so the Dalek might actually have been destroyed, though i do hope not.

Old May 3, 2005, 2:34 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

I don't think anyone really knows if it survived or not. I would hope it survived as that is what me and Athina agreed on. But the explosion did make me wonder. But they could travel through time so it may have gone back to find some more of it's kind. Or it did die. But i must confess to getting emotional at the end. The shperes may have been a telportation device. But we will have to see if any more Dalek stories pop up.
Old May 3, 2005, 5:12 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I'd like to point out that this is the Time War. A regular old garden-variety war means that the loser is defeated, vanquished, and possibly destroyed. Then. But a time war, I must assume, involves the loser being removed somehow from time. Otherwise it wouldn't be much of a time war, now would it?
Old May 4, 2005, 2:46 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

If i may point out Danny that i am aware about the Time war. The fact remains that ti is not finsihed yet as there is still at least one Dalek around and the Doctor himself. So on a techicallity the war is not over untill one or the other dies. But because we don't know what happened to the Dalek we do not know if the war is over.
Old May 4, 2005, 4:49 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

The Dalek is dead. Outpost Gallifrey had a live chat with Rob Shearman, the writer of this episode, and was asked directly if the Dalek was dead.

kietotheworld: Was the Dalek at the end really dead?
Rob Shearman
: Well, that was my intention! I wrote it so it blew up. But that was something which the production team changed at shooting script level. So *I* think it's dead... But who knows? LOL!
Therefore the Time War is over, the Doctor, one of an entire race of Time Lords, has won. That's the way the original writer of the episode wrote it, so that's the way it is. They can bring the Daleks back regardless of whether or not this one survived.
Old May 4, 2005, 12:27 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Yeah, the Doctor has won, remember in the last scene before that English guy who used to be on Corrie came in, Rose and the Doctor were talking about it.

Old May 4, 2005, 1:55 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Ah. But bearing in mind it is called a time war. So if you put another dalek episode on then you could say that is came from the time when they were all still alive.
Old May 4, 2005, 6:07 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Chris, I daresay you're missing the point. Losing a Time War means destruction across time. So no, that explanation would not work to describe how the Daleks could return. Don't worry, though. They're geniuses and they'll make it work.
Old May 5, 2005, 11:13 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

And knowing the BBC, and how popular the Daleks are. They would fnd a way around it.