DannyStewart.com Forums

Go Back   DannyStewart.com Forums > Doctor Who Forums > Radiophonic Workshop

Old January 31, 2009, 5:04 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Dominic Glynn's original demo themes for Doctor Who

Dominic Glynn has generously given me permission to post both of his original demo themes here on DannyStewart.com. You've already heard my remixed version of his first demo, but now I present the original demo theme, unaltered by me save for some basic mastering, as well as the second demo theme, which has never been heard before by anyone except myself and Dom.

Remember that Dom is not exactly proud of either of these demo versions, saying that they "sound like shit," so please be respectful of that. There's a reason these were thrown away and forgotten... they're just a piece of history that he and I have decided to share with you guys.

In that light, let's please keep them a DannyStewart.com exclusive, and do not repost or redistribute them elsewhere. Thank you, and enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 DG Demo 1.mp3 (1.71 MB, 10 views)
File Type: mp3 DG Demo 2.mp3 (1.91 MB, 9 views)

Last edited by Danny Stewart; January 31, 2009 at 5:48 AM
Old January 31, 2009, 8:45 AM
The Moonlit Door (Offline)

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
Remember that Dom is not exactly proud of either of these demo versions, saying that they "sound like shit," so please be respectful of that. There's a reason these were thrown away and forgotten... they're just a piece of history that he and I have decided to share with you guys.

In that light, let's please keep them a DannyStewart.com exclusive, and do not repost or redistribute them elsewhere. Thank you, and enjoy!
These are fantastic, it's so interesting to hear the beginnings of this version of the theme. I'm sure Dominic Glynn is already aware of how much we appreciate being given the chance to hear these tracks, and they will certainly be kept as an exclusive to this site.

I actually prefer his bassline and the more ominous opening of the first demo to the one that ended up being used on the series. This demo is ethereal just the same, but more eerie and I love that to bits! The second demo in a way sounds like it wasn't really needed — everything was there and working well in the first one.
Old January 31, 2009, 12:39 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Moonlit Door View Post
These are fantastic, it's so interesting to hear the beginnings of this version of the theme. I'm sure Dominic Glynn is already aware of how much we appreciate being given the chance to hear these tracks, and they will certainly be kept as an exclusive to this site.
Thank you very much.

I actually prefer his bassline and the more ominous opening of the first demo to the one that ended up being used on the series. This demo is ethereal just the same, but more eerie and I love that to bits! The second demo in a way sounds like it wasn't really needed — everything was there and working well in the first one.
I agree with you about both demos. I was impressed by the first demo when I heard it as well, and thought that only the second demo sounded weak.

Here is an interesting fact, by the way... both of Dom's demo versions of the themes contain two separate bassline tracks, each of which has a somewhat different sound that combines with the other to produce the final sound. In Dom's final opening theme, there is only one bassline track. (This is especially interesting because the demo versions span only five tracks. The final themes were done on an 8-track, with one of the tracks functioning as a metronome and the rest all being used for the theme.)

Since I now have access to all of Dom's original multitracks, I am actually working on producing a hybrid version combining his first demo with the final opening theme used on the series.

In the meantime, here is a slightly tweaked version of the first demo. I put significantly more reverb on the track containing the white noise bursts, and quieted them down in the mix.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 DG Demo 1 v2.mp3 (1.78 MB, 6 views)
Old January 31, 2009, 7:20 PM

Here is an interesting fact, by the way... both of Dom's demo versions of the themes contain two separate bassline tracks, each of which has a somewhat different sound that combines with the other to produce the final sound. In Dom's final opening theme, there is only one bassline track. (This is especially interesting because the demo versions span only five tracks. The final themes were done on an 8-track, with one of the tracks functioning as a metronome and the rest all being used for the theme.)
Yes, I found that the demo basslines did occasionally sound separated, as if they went off on tangents that didn't sound complimentary. Glynn really did solve that issue in the final version.

Since I now have access to all of Dom's original multitracks, I am actually working on producing a hybrid version combining his first demo with the final opening theme used on the series.
That'll be good. I like your Derbyshire-style bassline (above) as well, very well put together. I suppose the best feature of Dominic Glynn's theme is that it firmly resurrects the "cosmic hobo" idea established by Sydney Newman. Aside from an ethereal sound it does have that nice knockabout quality at times.
Old January 31, 2009, 8:12 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Yes, I found that the demo basslines did occasionally sound separated, as if they went off on tangents that didn't sound complimentary. Glynn really did solve that issue in the final version.
I attempted to correct for it somewhat by quieting and re-equalizing the "alternate" of the two basslines. I did it more so in the second demo than the first.

That'll be good. I like your Derbyshire-style bassline (above) as well, very well put together. I suppose the best feature of Dominic Glynn's theme is that it firmly resurrects the "cosmic hobo" idea established by Sydney Newman. Aside from an ethereal sound it does have that nice knockabout quality at times.
Agreed. At some point I may try combining all three versions to create a new variant of Dom's opening theme.
Old February 2, 2009, 6:06 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Title sequence test for demo 1. (Please excuse the somewhat unorthodox linking method... trying to prevent unauthorized access to the theme.)
Attached Files
File Type: txt DG Demo 1 Titles Test Link.txt (41 Bytes, 7 views)
Old February 2, 2009, 1:17 PM

Title sequence test for demo 1. (Please excuse the somewhat unorthodox linking method... trying to prevent unauthorized access to the theme.)
Really does work well. Viewers would maybe have thought, though, if this had been used, "Why is there no sound?" for the first second, just before that great "fall" sound kicks in. The sting that was ultimately used was more a development from Peter Howell's, but I like the demo opening equally.
Old February 5, 2009, 7:01 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Really does work well. Viewers would maybe have thought, though, if this had been used, "Why is there no sound?" for the first second, just before that great "fall" sound kicks in. The sting that was ultimately used was more a development from Peter Howell's, but I like the demo opening equally.
Dom has said that he regrets the fact that the budget did not allow for a new title sequence as well. Because they continued to use the old one, his options were somewhat limited as far as the theme's format. I believe he said he found it "intensely restricting" to have to work to a title sequence that was already done and polished.
Old February 5, 2009, 1:16 PM

Dom has said that he regrets the fact that the budget did not allow for a new title sequence as well. Because they continued to use the old one, his options were somewhat limited as far as the theme's format. I believe he said he found it "intensely restricting" to have to work to a title sequence that was already done and polished.
Yes, I can imagine — timing the appearance of the stars and all that. Peter Howell actually liaised with Sid Sutton during the creation of the first starfield title sequence, so at least the two elements worked to the same end. Ultimately I think the sequence is too aggressive in approach for Glynn's version of the theme to sit right on the imagery. His theme did need its own sequence, but of course JNT wouldn't have imagined that Colin Baker was about to be ousted.
Old February 5, 2009, 10:06 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

timing the appearance of the stars and all that
Actually, I really commend him for the work he did with the starburst sound effects. Peter Howell had no such effects in his theme that synchronized with the appearance of the stars during the title sequence. Dom spent a long time matching everything up with his theme and producing a little sound effect to go with each major star flyby. I was always impressed with that.
Old February 6, 2009, 5:17 AM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

Actually, I really commend him for the work he did with the starburst sound effects. Peter Howell had no such effects in his theme that synchronized with the appearance of the stars during the title sequence. Dom spent a long time matching everything up with his theme and producing a little sound effect to go with each major star flyby. I was always impressed with that.
A sign of a true musician... they always pay attention to the tiniest of details.
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!
Old February 6, 2009, 8:54 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ben Dawson View Post
A sign of a true musician... they always pay attention to the tiniest of details.
Quite so. I certainly have that problem—er, gift—as well.
Old February 6, 2009, 11:53 PM
Mister_Wilbur (Offline)
AAAAAGGGGG!!!

I like that trumpet sounding bit at the end of the second demo, it sounds like a nice lead-in to the middle 8.

It'd be interesting to hear what a hybrid of the two demos would sound like... Taking the first demo as a base and adding in some of the second's unique-ness (the trumpet-y sounding part in the melody, the individual star-bursts).

Last edited by Mister_Wilbur; February 6, 2009 at 11:57 PM
Old June 15, 2010, 9:12 AM
SeeingI (Offline)

Day late and dollar short! Looks like the Dominic Glynn demos & Danny's new remixes have been taken down. iQue lastima!
Old June 15, 2010, 9:19 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by SeeingI View Post
Day late and dollar short! Looks like the Dominic Glynn demos & Danny's new remixes have been taken down. iQue lastima!
They're still working for me! Do you see the attachments on the original post? It's possible I have some kind of restriction in place so that newer members can't access attachments (?).
Old June 15, 2010, 9:26 AM
SeeingI (Offline)

It's because I am a lowly Basic Member. Not worthy! It's ok. I'll keep posting till I get to the Promised Land.

By the way, my captcha was "leave turpin" which is funny for anybody who likes Sweeney Todd.
Old June 15, 2010, 9:37 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

It's because I am a lowly Basic Member. Not worthy! It's ok. I'll keep posting till I get to the Promised Land.
Actually, since Dom supplied me with his 2008 multitrack at TimeGate, I have a new remix of Dom's theme that I've now done which should be posted today.

By the way, my captcha was "leave turpin" which is funny for anybody who likes Sweeney Todd.
Heh.
Old May 22, 2012, 9:39 AM
Kikka (Offline)

Agh, I'm devastated I can't access these demos with my low post count!
Oh well, I'll just keep on contributing. About the sound effects synched to the star fly-by's in Dominic's theme: wow! I haven't noticed that before!