DannyStewart.com Forums

Go Back   DannyStewart.com Forums > Doctor Who Forums > Radiophonic Workshop

Old April 19, 2005, 10:07 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

The Doctor Who theme

Who here believes that the Doctor Who theme is one of the greatest musical landmarks of the past century? If not, then you're wrong -- it is widely accepted as having changed the electronic music world forever.

Here is a complete inventory of all the official Doctor Who themes ever used on the BBC television series.

1963: The Original Theme by Delia Derbyshire
The BBC had just gotten underway making their new science fiction series called Doctor Who when the job of composing the theme, written by Ron Grainer, landed at Delia Derbyshire's feet. Derbyshire was one of the leading electronic music experts in the entire Radiophonic Workshop. Without the aid of synthesizers, and with an extremely painstaking effort, she was able to literally cut together different sounds, devoting weeks to creating the magnificent composition you can hear above.

1967: The First Major Revision by Delia Derbyshire
The production team behind Doctor Who decided that the theme needed a bit more kick to it, so Delia Derbyshire once again set to work making a newer updated version of the theme. The only notable differences are that a slight delay/echo effect was applied to make each bass note a bit sharper and longer, and the melody line a bit clearer. Additionally, some rising spangles were added just to complete the effort.

1970: The Delaware Theme by Delia Derbyshire and Brian Hodgson
Synthesizers were still relatively new, but the BBC Radiophonic Workshop got their hands on one of the earliest ones -- nicknamed a Delaware synthesizer. This theme was the first major attempt at a remake of the Doctor Who theme. Ultimately, it failed, and the BBC returned to the 1967 version, with little to no alteration, for the next ten years.

1980: The First Reimagining of the Doctor Who Theme by Peter Howell
In 1980, the producer John Nathan-Turner decided to change everything about the show. One of these things was the theme. He ordered that Peter Howell remake the signature theme tune. He was apprehensive at first, worrying he would not be able to live up to Delia Derbyshire's version, but said that he would as long as he was allowed to use any piece of equipment in the entire Radiophonic Workshop. Ultimately, this theme was a success, and was used for the next six years.

1986: The Trial of a Time Lord Theme by Dominic Glynn
Now, John Nathan-Turner decided that he would go outside the BBC to make the theme for Doctor Who. He hired freelance artist Dominic Glynn to remake the tune, this time using an out-of-the-box synthesizer. I am told that this theme is not regarded with much success by many Doctor Who fans, but I strongly disagree -- this theme brought back a sense of haunting mystery to the Doctor Who theme that was lacking in the Howell version. I'm very happy with the job Dominic Glynn did here.

1987: The Definitive 1980's Theme by Keff McCulloch
I call it that because it embodies the 80's in one theme. Therefore, it sucks. Sorry to say it, but there it is. Tonedeaf Keff's theme sucks, composed on a synthesizer with no ear for music. Listen for yourself, just to entertain yourself based on how bad it is. (Okay, it's not painful to listen to, but it is pretty much a joke. Have a listen.)

1996: The TV Movie Theme by John Debney
In 1996, Doctor Who returned to the small screen in an American-made TV movie starring Paul McGann as the Doctor. Movie music composer John Debney had his turn at making a version of the Doctor Who theme. Opting for an entirely orchestral theme, this is an interesting if somewhat different take on the Doctor Who theme. A good listen overall.

2005: A New Theme for a New Show by Murray Gold
Russell T. Davies was hired to bring the science fiction favorite of millions back to our screens for good this time. Murray Gold was hired to remake the signature theme tune. He decided to go back to basics and use many of the classic Derbyshire elements, such as the bassline and melody. Another success, I'd say, with added orchestral elements like strings and drums. Great for listening.

What else do you need to know about the Doctor Who theme? Only that all the great remixes of the theme can be found here:
Mutagene's Whomix Site

Enjoy the wonderful world(s) of the Doctor Who theme!

Last edited by Danny Stewart; August 24, 2006 at 2:06 PM
Old May 10, 2005, 10:52 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

I know this is slightly old. But i just found this and i think it is a really nice tune. it is in a world of it's own and is really suited to Doctor Who. I love the song almost as much as the series itself.
Old May 10, 2005, 11:10 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

It's alright about posting in this one, this is meant to stay prominent. I'm glad you've discovered the theme tune, Chris, it is, as you put so well, in a world of its own. There is an interesting story behind the creation of the original tune back in 1963. A woman named Delia Derbyshire slaved for hours and days to construct the theme painstakingly using equipment that was being used for a function whose time had not yet come. You can read the story here. My favorite version of the theme is of course Delia Derbyshire's 1963 original... nothing could ever compare to that, and I'm glad Murray Gold built on top of that to make the theme for the new series. If you listen, every element from the original is there -- but new elements, like the drums and the strings, have been added over top. Magnificently done. The one problem with the new theme is that it lacks the bridge section of the theme. This can be clearly heard in all the versions above, but we have yet to hear it in Gold's new series theme.
Old May 10, 2005, 3:24 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

It was a really interesting. And you are right, nothing beats a classic and an origanal. her hard work centrainly paid off and it was worth it. Thank you to her for giving us one of the most prominant tues ever made.
Old May 10, 2005, 3:41 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

The original piece truly is timeless. The other versions have become dated as their eras have come and gone, but you still can't quite put a finger on how Delia Derbyshire's original was made.
Old May 11, 2005, 2:57 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Yeah. it is quite odd how she did it. But she did do it somehow and we must be thankful for it. Praise her vision.
Old May 11, 2005, 4:48 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I could post a disastrous image of how the composer, Ron Grainer, would have made it if he did it. He is credited as the inventor of the theme, but he really only came up with the oo-ee-oo part, and just the notes of it at that. Then he went on vacation and let Delia Derbyshire make the theme for him. When he came back, she had made this. He was so impressed that he didn't touch it and used it as is. Years later, he made his own version, which is how he would have done the theme. I think Doctor Who would have been cancelled if they ended up using that theme though...
Old May 17, 2005, 3:03 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

That sounds very nice. kepp it up and i would oike to see this new topic. I back it.
Old July 24, 2005, 9:31 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

The first post in this thread has been updated and three new themes have been added too! (They are 1970, 1996, and 2005.) Please read the post and check those out! Enjoy!
Old July 2, 2006, 8:52 AM
Sontaran Of Brunei (Offline)

Can you please add the Series Two closing theme? (just for completeness)
You also have permission to add my Rise Of The Cybermen closing theme, if you want.

Danny, I sent you a PM a few weeks ago -- did you receive it? (it's just that I havn't received a reply yet)

Thanks
Sontaran
Old July 6, 2006, 3:53 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Erm, I thought these had been removed, they still download fine when you click the link. Danny was caught by the BBC for this and made to shut down his webpage for distributing these.

Old July 7, 2006, 4:54 AM

I think this forum has become the alternative place to download them. Because the BBC can't get on this forum, can they now??

It's great that they are still availible, and is much appreciated Danny
Old July 7, 2006, 12:46 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

These postings were never the issue -- it was just the repository that was taken down. (These were actually available a long time before I ever put up the repository.) The BBC cannot access these, nor can anyone outside the few dozen members we have. So that's a perk of being a DS.com member.

If you want me to keep this updated, just say the word and I'll start posting themes on here instead! That's a great idea, Sontaran!
Old July 7, 2006, 4:43 PM

Yes - please, straight away!!

I'm dying to hear a high quality version of the full Series Two closing theme. It is one of my favourite versions, but my recreation of it sounds a big dodgy. Please post your version Danny, as I'm sure yours sounds perfect (your series one closing theme was spot on!)
And as I'm sure you're aware, the Beeb would only let us have the middle eight....

I'd be very happy to help - I have a few versions of the theme which were never on the repository, which I will gladly send to you!
Have you got the 40th Anniversary theme? It was created for a few trailers, and was also used during the Doctor Who Night (I think) back in 2003.

If you want me to keep this updated, just say the word and I'll start posting themes on here instead! That's a great idea, Sontaran!
Old July 8, 2006, 10:11 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

The 40th Anniversary theme you are referring to was actually done a number of years earlier by a group called Orbital. They're big Doctor Who fans and released the piece on one of their CDs called "The Altogether." I do have both the original and a live verison performed by them.

And as far as series two closing theme, your wish is my command. Click here!
Old July 9, 2006, 5:52 AM

That is fantastic Danny!!

Many thanks for this, you are a legend
Old July 9, 2006, 10:47 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Thank you very much, Sontaran! Puts a smile on my face to hear you say that.
Old August 7, 2006, 6:37 AM
Dalek104 (Offline)

Yes, that is fantastic, Danny! Thanks a bunch! My Series 2 closing theme had clicks and distorts due to the patching-up work done. This one is perfectly clean and, well, perfect! Thanks again!
Old August 7, 2006, 8:53 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

... =D

WOAH!! I had no idea THIS was here...

Thank you very much Danny... truth be told I often visted the repository and spent a long time listening to the themes there... needless to say I was dissapointed when it went down. After a while I thought I'd join the forums because they looked like a pretty nice place.

... YAY I FINALLY GOT TO HEAR THE FULL VERSION OF THE CHRISTMAS INVASION CLOSING!! Thanks so much DS! =)
Old August 8, 2006, 1:29 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

You're very welcome! Glad you both enjoyed it so much! I'm glad to bring Doctor Who themes to the fans.