DannyStewart.com Forums

Go Back   DannyStewart.com Forums > Doctor Who Forums > Radiophonic Workshop

Old October 16, 2008, 7:33 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Danny Stewart's Remixes of Dominic Glynn's DW Theme

Dominic Glynn has been kind enough to send me the original 8-track master recordings of his 1986 Doctor Who theme. With these, I am now in the process of producing various remixed and remastered versions of his themes.

New mixes will be posted here as they are completed.

Last edited by Danny Stewart; October 19, 2008 at 2:20 AM
Old October 16, 2008, 7:51 PM
Mister_Wilbur (Offline)
AAAAAGGGGG!!!

Old October 16, 2008, 7:57 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

The fun has officially started.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 DG Opening Remix 1.mp3 (1.08 MB, 17 views)
Old October 16, 2008, 8:02 PM
Mister_Wilbur (Offline)
AAAAAGGGGG!!!

That's the highest quality I've ever heard the 1986 opening. Very nice!
Old October 16, 2008, 8:36 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Thank you very much!

Last edited by Danny Stewart; October 16, 2008 at 11:04 PM
Old October 17, 2008, 9:41 AM
BritCanuck (Offline)

Originally Posted by Mister_Wilbur View Post
That's the highest quality I've ever heard the 1986 opening. Very nice!
Total agreement here. Big thank you to Dominic and Danny.
Old October 17, 2008, 6:00 PM
James P. (Offline)
Uh oh!

The DVD remix, quite frankly, lacks the "oomph" of the original. Danny's remix is really good. You should make it full length.

Due to the fact all of you except Keff McCulloch, Danny Stewart, Recurring Villain, and a few others don't know how to be nice, I am leaving. The only reason I've stayed as long as I have is Danny's great mixes. As soon as I can, you will be reported to THE FBI.

Have a nice day,
James P. Quick
Old October 17, 2008, 8:01 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Here's a full-length remix for you guys. I've taken inspiration from all over the place for this one -- each of Dom's original themes, his 2008 remix, the original Derbyshire theme, plus a few touches of my own.

I've added the same bass layer that Dom added for his 2008 remix, plus I've extended out the bassline's intro section (as in the original Derbyshire theme) and run a filter over the entire bassline. I've also recorded an entirely new melody for the bridge.

Hope you guys like it.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 DG Extended Remix 1.mp3 (4.33 MB, 16 views)
Old October 18, 2008, 12:25 AM
BritCanuck (Offline)

First rate work once again. Love the revamped Middle 8. Keep up the good work, both of you.
Old October 18, 2008, 12:40 AM
Mister_Wilbur (Offline)
AAAAAGGGGG!!!

Very nice! I like that the middle eight has more oomph and the bass line sounds smoother. I like it!
Old October 18, 2008, 3:08 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Here are opening and closing themes with a new bassline that has been recut to match the structure of the original Derbyshire theme.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 DG Themes Derbyshire Struct.mp3 (2.86 MB, 21 views)
Old October 18, 2008, 11:12 PM
James P. (Offline)
Uh oh!

I love them. It's awesome, it's fresh, it's... WOW!

Due to the fact all of you except Keff McCulloch, Danny Stewart, Recurring Villain, and a few others don't know how to be nice, I am leaving. The only reason I've stayed as long as I have is Danny's great mixes. As soon as I can, you will be reported to THE FBI.

Have a nice day,
James P. Quick
Old October 19, 2008, 2:16 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

New closing remix. This one is a bit of a departure from the original closing mix, and it uses the new bridge sound from my full-length mix above.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 DG Closing Remix 1.mp3 (1.84 MB, 15 views)
Old October 19, 2008, 3:51 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Looking for feedback on this one...

Trying to do a "perfect" master version of both the opening and closing. I've already been at it for almost two hours and have just finished the opening. The closing will probably take me even longer.

The goal here is not to do anything new or different, just to make the mix sound as clean, punchy, and professional as possible. Essentially just making it sound as good as it can, as it was originally intended to. Get the levels just right, apply some light reverb to certain elements, maybe some mild compression here and there. That sort of thing.

Here's what I've got so far for the opening. Feedback and suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by Danny Stewart; November 6, 2008 at 5:18 PM
Old October 19, 2008, 5:36 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I'm checking back every few hours and watching the download count go up. I know you guys are listening, so where are the comments?
Old October 19, 2008, 10:47 PM
BritCanuck (Offline)

So far, the remixes sound fantastic. Looking forward to the Closing Master, but take your time. The longer the wait, the better it can get.

I'm guessing that Dominic is very proud of Danny right now.
Old October 20, 2008, 12:59 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Here is an updated version of the Opening Master. I've gone back over Dom's original final masters (both 1986 and 2008) to try and get closer to what he intended. I decided the bassline needed more punch, so I've compressed it some and brought it up a bit in the mix. I also corrected what seemed like minor clipping on one of the original melody tracks by lowering the volume a bit at that point. It's less noticeable now. I'll live with this for a day or two and figure out whether it's good enough, then get started on the Closing Master.

Originally Posted by BritCanuck View Post
So far, the remixes sound fantastic. Looking forward to the Closing Master, but take your time. The longer the wait, the better it can get.
Closing Master should be done in the next couple of days.

Originally Posted by BritCanuck View Post
I'm guessing that Dominic is very proud of Danny right now.
I very much hope so.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 DG Opening Master v2.mp3 (1.15 MB, 9 views)
Old October 20, 2008, 2:23 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I'm just about ready to call it a night, but I have run off a quick demo of the Closing Master. I'm not completely happy with it yet, but it should give you a rough idea of where I'm going with it.

I've played with the EQ on the bassline a bit to give it punchier highs and deeper throbbing lows. Dom's closing bassline is actually very different to his opening bassline. The opening bassline is dry and very punchy, whereas the closing bassline has significant delay on it and uses a less punchy and more twangy sound. I generally treat the opening bassline as the ideal, so I've tried to enhance the sound of the closing bassline to match it more closely.

I'm not sure what I should do with the bridge melody... as you all know, it's a point of some contention for everybody. There are a lot of people who really don't like Dom's harshly digital-sounding bridge melody. Even Dom himself has never been happy with it, and jumped at the chance to reimagine it somewhat for his 2008 version. I don't dislike it, but I do feel that it could use some work, and I'm not sure how best to approach it. Seeing as this is a remaster and not a remix, it has to stay in and stay prominent (I can't replace it like I've done with my other remixes so far), but I do have some choices regarding what I can do with it. I could leave it mostly dry, or I could try and use some effects to dull it down and blend it in a bit more. I've gone for the latter for this version, using a phase filter and some heavy reverb to help blend it in. If you all would prefer that I do something different, please let me know. I'm very much open to suggestions in this regard.

Anyway, let me know what you all think of it, and it's safe to say you can expect a new version tomorrow or the next day at some point.

EDIT: Reuploaded the mix after a minor tweak. I advised Dom to make a change to his 2008 remix and then forgot to make the same change myself!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 DG Closing Master.mp3 (1.90 MB, 10 views)

Last edited by Danny Stewart; October 20, 2008 at 2:33 AM
Old October 20, 2008, 6:25 AM
Mister_Wilbur (Offline)
AAAAAGGGGG!!!

Excellent work so far! And I think you're heading in the right direction with the bridge.
Old October 20, 2008, 2:59 PM
James P. (Offline)
Uh oh!

...*Speechless*

*Regains composure* Wooooooooah! Rock ON!

Have a nice day,
James P. Quick