DannyStewart.com Forums

Go Back   DannyStewart.com Forums > Doctor Who Forums > Radiophonic Workshop

Old October 20, 2008, 4:47 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Oh dear... it seems I let Closing Remix 1 run away from me a bit. Here is Closing Remix 2.

I've combined the opening and closing basslines for this one, as well as the opening and closing melody lines.

And I'm just plain crazy. But you all knew that already.

(New version coming once I have the time to make a proper closing-style bassline out of the opening bassline.)

EDIT: Updated to version 2c. Crazier in some places, slightly less crazy in others.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 DG Closing Remix 2c.mp3 (1.86 MB, 10 views)

Last edited by Danny Stewart; October 20, 2008 at 11:00 PM
Old October 21, 2008, 9:03 AM
BritCanuck (Offline)

Closing Remix 2c sounds great with the subtle addition of classic Derbyshire elements, especially the "swirl" at the beginning. A keeper.

"Avon Calling." "Nice Try."

Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowlands View Post
Altered by Recurring Villain
Good, but replace the third line with something like "but I'm on hand to save the day" so that blah de blah wibble dobble lexicon gibberish.

Last edited by BritCanuck; October 21, 2008 at 9:08 AM Reason: Minor editing
Old October 21, 2008, 10:43 AM
Mister_Wilbur (Offline)
AAAAAGGGGG!!!

AAAAHHHH! AHHHHH! AWESOME!

Ah, *ahem* anyway... will there be an extended remix of the 2c version?

Last edited by Mister_Wilbur; October 21, 2008 at 10:48 AM
Old October 21, 2008, 8:41 PM
Cassiuskitt (Offline)

Amazing work Danny, I'm really enjoying it.
Old November 4, 2008, 4:56 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Something random I threw together today... no real thought or reasoning behind it, just for fun.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 DG Opening Remix 2.mp3 (1.15 MB, 12 views)
Old November 4, 2008, 5:45 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Closing remix done in the same style as the above.

Last edited by Danny Stewart; November 6, 2008 at 5:18 PM
Old November 5, 2008, 10:54 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Closing remix remastered a bit... some of the Derbyshire elements were too loud in the last mix, and Dom's bassline and melody weren't loud enough.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 DG Closing Remix 3a.mp3 (1.90 MB, 10 views)
Old November 6, 2008, 10:55 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

The closing master is proving to be a bit of a nightmare. Things aren't balanced evenly and it feels like it's causing clipping to me, but maybe I've just been at it for too long. I remember going back and forth with Pete for hours when I was working on the original Fool's Gold trying to eliminate clipping... I don't want to end up there again.

Here's a preview release of the new closing master. Comments are welcome -- bear in mind that it's definitely not ready for prime time yet.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 DG Closing Master v2 Beta 1.mp3 (1.90 MB, 10 views)
Old November 6, 2008, 11:01 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mister_Wilbur View Post
AAAAHHHH! AHHHHH! AWESOME!
Sorry for taking so long to respond. Thanks very much.

Originally Posted by Mister_Wilbur View Post
Ah, *ahem* anyway... will there be an extended remix of the 2c version?
Since you asked, sure thing.

I'd like to make an extended theme master at some point, which will be very difficult because I don't have all the original materials to work with. Dom sent me his original 8-track, but it only contains the opening and closing themes (as well as two unused demo themes he'd forgotten about).

The way he explained it to me, that's because he went back and did the extended version several months later, borrowing the facilities of a professional production studio to do so. He used some of the tracks from his opening and closing themes, with the notable exception of the bassline. He recorded a new bassline for the extended theme, which he apparently no longer has readily available.

That means when I do the extended master, I'll have to either splice the opening and closing basslines together and make them sound coherent (which will be no small feat considering how different they sound from each other), or perhaps synthesize a new bassline myself and use that. I do own a Roland Juno-6, which is the synth Dom used to make the bassline originally, so it's possible I could get it quite close. We'll see.

EDIT: Shit... it just dawned on me that Dom used the studio's Prophet 5 to record new sound effects for his extended theme. That means he may also have used it to record the new bassline, in which case I won't be able to recreate it as perfectly as I'd hoped. I suppose I could do an opening- or closing-style bassline instead... he used the Juno for those...

Last edited by Danny Stewart; November 6, 2008 at 11:27 AM
Old November 6, 2008, 4:34 PM
BritCanuck (Offline)

Great work as always. The added classic Derbyshire ending is a nice new twist.

If Murray retires after the specials,
Glynn/Stewart for Series Five.
Old November 10, 2008, 1:25 PM
James P. (Offline)
Uh oh!

Originally Posted by BritCanuck View Post
Great work as always. The added classic Derbyshire ending is a nice new twist.

If Murray retires after the specials,
Glynn/Stewart for Series Five.
Seconded.

You really need to make a version of Keff's theme. Imagine what wonders you could do!

Due to the fact all of you except Keff McCulloch, Danny Stewart, Recurring Villain, and a few others don't know how to be nice, I am leaving. The only reason I've stayed as long as I have is Danny's great mixes. As soon as I can, you will be reported to THE FBI.

Have a nice day,
James P. Quick
Old November 10, 2008, 2:29 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by James P. View Post
You really need to make a version of Keff's theme. Imagine what wonders you could do!
Unfortunately, I don't have Keff's original multitrack, so my options are extremely limited. From what I understand, Keff's original multitrack no longer exists, so there isn't anything I could do anyway. The only option left is recreation, which is something I'm working on (albeit at a very slow pace).

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
I'd like to make an extended theme master at some point, which will be very difficult because I don't have all the original materials to work with. Dom sent me his original 8-track, but it only contains the opening and closing...
I just heard back from Dom about this. Apparently the multitrack for his extended theme was kept by the studio at which he recorded it, and then recorded over and thrown away decades ago. The studio itself no longer even exists today. That means everything that was done for the extended theme is lost forever. Therefore the responsibility now falls to me to somehow produce an extended master without using any of the original source materials. I believe I'm going to re-record the bassline on the Juno-6 and use that as a starting point for the final mix.

(I also heard back about Dom's use of the Prophet 5... he does not believe he solely used the Prophet 5 for the new bassline. Instead he thinks it more likely that he recorded a new bassline from the Juno and then layered it with the Prophet to boost the low end. I'm going to explore this further when I have a chance.)
Old December 9, 2008, 10:35 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

DG Opening Remix 3 has now been posted on my Twitter.

http://twitter.com/dannystewart
Old December 11, 2008, 5:09 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

New on Twitter:
  • Extended version of Closing Remix 2c
  • Fool's Gold + Glynn
Old December 11, 2008, 9:02 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

So much for sleep... DG Closing Remix 2 has become DG Extended Remix 2. Completely overhauled.

Old December 11, 2008, 10:12 AM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

What can I say? It sounds magnificent. I've listened to it twice now. Great job!
Old December 12, 2008, 7:32 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Superkid11 View Post
What can I say? It sounds magnificent. I've listened to it twice now. Great job!
Thanks. I'm very proud of this latest one. Considering sending it off to Dom assuming he's not tired of my Who themes yet.
Old December 13, 2008, 5:04 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Latest mixes now posted here (with accompanying Twitter posts)! Enjoy!

Another remix of Dominic Glynn's opening theme to Doctor Who. Oh, that's DG Opening Remix 3 for those of you keeping track.

By popular demand, an extended version of my DG Closing Remix 2c is finally on its way. Should be online tonight.

As promised, here is DG Closing Remix 2d, an extended version of 2c. A little late, but hopefully worth the delay!

So much for sleep... DG Closing Remix 2 has become DG Extended Remix 2. Completely overhauled.

DG Extended Remix 2 is being officially renamed DG Cosmos Mix after some minor tweaks. Official release (and perhaps send to Dom) shortly.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 DG Opening Remix 3.mp3 (1.79 MB, 1 views)
File Type: mp3 DG Closing Remix 2d.mp3 (5.66 MB, 1 views)
File Type: mp3 Fool's Gold Glynn.mp3 (6.32 MB, 1 views)
File Type: mp3 DG Cosmos Mix.mp3 (5.86 MB, 6 views)
Old December 14, 2008, 12:45 PM
BritCanuck (Offline)

Fantastic work as always with all of these remixes.
Keep up the good work.

Little Miss Moffat
Sat on RTD's doormat
And wrote a good drama or two.
Then Russell retired,
Chris Chibnall got fired
And Steve made a good show of Who. - Recurring Villain
Old December 20, 2008, 9:22 PM
BritCanuck (Offline)

Originally Posted by James P. View Post
...From what I understand, Keff's original multitrack no longer exists, so there isn't anything I could do anyway. The only option left is recreation, which is something I'm working on (albeit at a very slow pace).

...I just heard back from Dom about this. Apparently the multitrack for his extended theme was kept by the studio at which he recorded it, and then recorded over and thrown away decades ago...That means everything that was done for the extended theme is lost forever.
What kind of studio doesn't bother to archive its own treasured recordings?
(besides BBC and the ongoing Missing Episodes saga)

The studio itself no longer even exists today.
Your Honors, the Prosecution rests.

...Therefore the responsibility now falls to me to somehow produce an extended master without using any of the original source materials. I believe I'm going to re-record the bassline on the Juno-6 and use that as a starting point for the final mix.

(I also heard back about Dom's use of the Prophet 5... he does not believe he solely used the Prophet 5 for the new bassline. Instead he thinks it more likely that he recorded a new bassline from the Juno and then layered it with the Prophet to boost the low end. I'm going to explore this further when I have a chance.)
I know the sound effects from the Keff McCulloch version are a simple and tiny embellishment (whoosh, whoosh, clang and a bit of the TARDIS here and there pretty much sums it up - it's almost Goldesque), but if you want help recreating those, BBC added a sound-effects-only version of the opening and closing titles on the "Curse of Fenric" R1 DVD. It's embedded into the music only audio option for episode three, I think. Most of the sound effects are there clean, without the theme music in the way (there is a little bit of overlap with the incidental music). If you decide to recreate the sound effects for your remix, hopefully that will help.