2/10 - Horrible 0 0%
1/10 - Unwatchable 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 16, 2007, 2:02 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Plot Summary - Written by Russell T Davies
When Captain Jack Harkness storms back into The Doctor's life, the TARDIS is thrown out of control and sent trillions of years into the future: the end of the universe. There, they find the savage Futurekind ruling the wilderness, while a lonely professor tries in vain to save the last of the human race.

That was an absolutely storming episode! The best so far! 10/10 immediately! So well presented!

Last edited by Chris Britton; June 16, 2007 at 2:15 PM
Old June 16, 2007, 2:05 PM
Marinedalek (Offline)
a.k.a. Pete

I think this episode has to get an automatic 10/10 for the return of The Master *AND* an audio clip of Roger Delgado in The Daemons
Old June 16, 2007, 2:10 PM
Jez (Offline)
Snizzel ma Wizzel

My first ever 10/10.

He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt him it was really quite hypnotic.

*Officially the most likeable person since the last one*
Old June 16, 2007, 2:16 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

I did put down the plot description, please can people try to avoid messing.
Old June 16, 2007, 2:17 PM
Dalek104 (Offline)

Absolutely brilliant.

10/10

Last edited by Dalek104; June 16, 2007 at 4:59 PM
Old June 16, 2007, 2:18 PM
Marinedalek (Offline)
a.k.a. Pete

I forgot to copy it across from the thread with the misdone poll - I was about to put it back when you edited your first post. The other poll couldn't be edited - you need to start from the beginning to make votes public.
Old June 16, 2007, 2:23 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Ok then, im sorry if things did go wrong, I did do my best to get the topic correct

However, this being the first of what will definatley be a magnificent 3 parter thumbs up that the next two weeks will be so exciting,
Old June 16, 2007, 2:25 PM
MickJo (Offline)

Great episode, definite 10/10.
Old June 16, 2007, 2:32 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

How do you manage to put up the header when you put the poll? Or is t automatic?

Did anyone notice what the USA guy said in the teaser, it seems there are more old friends returning
Old June 16, 2007, 2:35 PM
Marinedalek (Offline)
a.k.a. Pete

Only admin (I think) can change the banner. Usually either Dalek104 or myself do it.
Old June 16, 2007, 4:07 PM
Ronnie Rowlands (Offline)
Look who's back!

Loved it. I only wish Derek Jacobi could have stayed on as the Master, he seems much better than John Simm. I really enjoyed it though, Jacobi was excellent, and all the references to past episodes were fabulous. Also, I have to ask, can anyone get a clean version of that tune that was heard through a lot of the music, first played when they are talking about the watch, that, was music at its finest. 10.10
Old June 16, 2007, 4:20 PM
Jez (Offline)
Snizzel ma Wizzel

I actually thought Jacobi played the part very well. Wouldn't expect anything less of him really.

He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt him it was really quite hypnotic.

*Officially the most likeable person since the last one*
Old June 16, 2007, 4:45 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Hmm, I wasnt too impressed I must say. The whole "humans going to utopia" thing was very poorly done, it was a very poor attempt at fillibustering for the whole episode between the return of Captain Jack and then return of The Master.

The return of said persons brings it up to (barely) a 9/10.

Old June 16, 2007, 4:46 PM
MI7 (Offline)
Pex Lives

I...am...The Master!

Easily my favourite episode *ever*. Despite the fact I became sure that Prof was The Master about 10 minutes in after the Mr Saxon drumming appeared, the tension all the way through especially at the end was tremendous. The one problem I had was after the really sinister and low key performance of Derek Jacobi as The Master which was fantastic, John Simm seemed to really drag it back down to 80s panto Master. We'll see how it goes next week but eh.

250/10
Old June 16, 2007, 5:18 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Derek Jacobi's performance was nothing short of what we excepted, truly sinister at the end and kindly and troubled at the start, He would have made a great Master had he stayed on. It was kind of heartbreaking as well when you see The Doctor trying to convince him to not do what he was going to do. I really thought this was just so well done. Best so far.
Old June 16, 2007, 5:32 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

lol Kind of heartbraking?

Doctor: "Master, im sorry."
Master: "TOUGH!"

Old June 16, 2007, 8:52 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ross Hendrie View Post
Hmm, I wasnt too impressed I must say. The whole "humans going to utopia" thing was very poorly done, it was a very poor attempt at fillibustering for the whole episode between the return of Captain Jack and then return of The Master.

The return of said persons brings it up to (barely) a 9/10.
Agreed with Ross here. The episode itself was actually quite disappointing. The "humans going to utopia" thing had no relevance to anything and I found myself just going "huh? what? um, okay, sure" for the first 10-15 minutes or so of the episode. The whole main plotline just seemed pretty meaningless to me. I didn't understand much, if any, of it. It all just whizzed by with so little explanation. I just didn't get it. It felt hurried and rushed and quickly put in place. It felt like a placeholder, before I even knew what place it was holding.

I must say I also found the way the Doctor greeted Captain Jack to be quite odd. Jack had been looking for the Doctor for so long, and the Doctor hadn't seen Jack for so long. I was just kinda like "WTF?" at their reunion. It was so rushed and low-key... it seemed a bit out of character for both the Doctor and Jack.

The real subject of discussion here is the return of the Master, obviously. I will say that I preferred Derek Jacobi's debut as the Master to the (admittedly little) amount we saw of John Simm so far. Derek Jacobi played it perfectly -- low-key, scary, evil, sinister. What the Master should really be, in my mind. After the regeneration he seemed a bit too excitable and boyish -- testing out his voice, for example, and the "bye bye" line all seemed a bit out of place. But I won't judge him too soon, and also, I know what regeneration can do to a Time Lord's persona.

All things considered, I feel this episode most truly deserved an 8/10. But because of what it is, I feel as though I'm obligated to give it a 9/10, so that's what I'll do -- although it just barely, if at all, deserves it.

Last edited by Danny Stewart; June 16, 2007 at 9:05 PM Reason: Further explanation added to my first paragraph
Old June 16, 2007, 9:47 PM
Hamster (Offline)
Renegade Master

I can't say I agree with that completely, but I do think the episode could have been better. However, after what I thought was something of a shaky start to the series, things have really picked up

I give it a 9/10
Old June 17, 2007, 4:03 AM
MI7 (Offline)
Pex Lives

People bashing the storyline for apparently not making sense - don't forget that this is a three part story, and so this is only a third of the way through. We have no idea how this Utopia thing will play out in the last two episodes, especially considering the Doctor and co are now stuck on Malcassario and the Master took the Utopia co-ordinates disk with him.
Old June 17, 2007, 8:08 AM
Who?

It was rushed I feel, but still very good. 9/10
Closed Thread