DannyStewart.com Forums

Go Back   DannyStewart.com Forums > General Discussion > Creative Corner

Old February 2, 2008, 9:11 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

A Review of Crysis

So as I promised i now come to Crysis, A game which for me is quite polarizing in the sense it seems to he able to raise the hops and dreams of gaming nerd like a huge fat erection and at the same time dashes them like Tottenham Hotspur do to their fans week in week out.

Thats not to say it is a bad game at all, it's just a little shallower then I expected. But all that aside, lets get into reviewing.

Crysis was made by the lovely people at Crytek, also responsible for the visually stunning Farcry. However with Farcry it seemed quite hard to enjoy the lush terrain before your body got riddled with zillions of bullets. now while i applaud a game which gives a challenge it could not stop the impression that enemies had telescopic sight and were somehow able to realize which bush you were hiding from and shoot you in the heat from 3 miles away. Then again when the man character wears a pink Hawaiian shirt I can't say i blame them.

So onto Crysis, which continues Cryteks proud tradition of dumping you on an island, except this time you wear a special body suit not akin to Iron Man and you don't have Cryteks characters huge balls or guts. The goal of the game seems to basically be to slaughter Koreans and then aliens, does anyone else think Crytek had a bit of brain fade at one point as the first alien machine you encountered looked suspiciously like the tripods from War of the Worlds. It was not enough to make me jump or even get worried as it just looked so similar. The whole infiltration point was something I seem to have little sympathy for seeing as how your backed up by the entire Armed forces and weaponry of the army. Your squad consists of two redshits, Lord British and Ben Sisko. This is basically Farcry again as your back on a island, it;s now the future and basically the game has been zapped by the camp ray.

However as much as i admire graphics i always try to mention other aspects. however Crysis is so pretty and stunning and if it was to enter the miss world contest it would most likely end up bitch-slapping Oblivion to death leaving Bioshock as the default winner untill Crysis shoots it in the head. All this game despite the level design being confusing, annoying and unimaginative, i had to really press my eyes to the screen and despite the little bad points I have raised the game looked so damm lovely i just did not care about getting lost of blown up or shot to death, it was strangely immersing despite the frustrations.

However with this comes the inhuman treatment those poor processors get. Crysis adds to the whole next-gen thing because the only way your ever going to run it at full power at the moment is by selling your soul to get some sort of futuristic demon processor from space constructed by the Dwarves and Gnomes from Warcraft. but with the amount of controls for this game it feels like a PC game through and through even though it's cause is not helped by being soley on the spikey cold metal chair that is Windows Vista, although XP is allowed thank god.

Although basically it's just an above average first person shooter once you think about it. You and your enemy point guns at each other and shoot untill someone loses the will to live. However i say above average because the invisibility function and strength functions add a nice little dimension to the game, where you can feel like Iron Man or simply give enemies wedgies and it's always been fun to sneak up on enemies and shoot or club them in the back of the head and i was reminded quite happily of Thief. All in all the game still feels quite linear as despite loads of ways to take out a base you still follow a basic path along the game.

However the vehicle element is where the game trips up on itself and gets a bloody nose. Each vehicle runs like a cow in a shopping trolley and i recommend always going on foot unless you are drunk on 10 shots of Tequilla or feel lucky like Clint Eastwood. Thats not to say they are all bad but you need a lot of guts to actually drive those things, they explode as easily as sitting on a bunch of gunpowder which will explodes is somebody just yells boom. In one instance i was lucky to get a pickup and plough it into a garage with another car then then blown them up from afar. It looked nice but thats about all I could ever do with those pieces of junk.

Crysis is a game for sightseers who like games such as Shadow of the Colossus or Oblivion, somewhere where you can show the visuals off. If you can do that you may also enjoy the actual game more. Which is what i was able to do for a bit despite a load of failed and until i reached the Alien spaceship and it all became compressed.Thats not to say it's a terrible game and it's probably going to be a contender for game of the year. However what I am trying to swell out like a piece of meat I can't swallow is that it's not perfect but then again who or what is perfect besides Murray and RV

Last edited by Chris Britton; February 2, 2008 at 7:41 PM
Old February 2, 2008, 7:14 PM
Recurring Villain (Offline)
biggus dickus

I'm perfect.

Not at all benevolent dictator and I don't need to sign my posts cause my name is up there at the top.
Old February 2, 2008, 7:42 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chris Britton View Post
but then again who or what is perfect besides Murray.
I don't know what you're talking about; Murray is damn near the polar opposite of perfect.
Old February 2, 2008, 8:22 PM
Recurring Villain (Offline)
biggus dickus

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
I don't know what you're talking about; Murray is damn near the polar opposite of perfect.
He just doesn't have enough clatter.

Not at all benevolent dictator and I don't need to sign my posts cause my name is up there at the top.
Old February 3, 2008, 5:53 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
I was taking the piss I was also unsure how to make it look sarcastic so i just added the wink.
Old February 3, 2008, 6:53 AM
Jez (Offline)
Snizzel ma Wizzel

RE: Farcry:

The enemies did have telescopic site.

And it was easy to kill the bad guys. It was the damn mutants that wrecked the game the majority of people. Especially the rocket-noob-mutants.

He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt him it was really quite hypnotic.

*Officially the most likeable person since the last one*
Old February 5, 2008, 5:35 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Well thats what is normally called "Big headed Syndrome"