DannyStewart.com Forums

Go Back   DannyStewart.com Forums > General Discussion > Forum Fun

Old February 21, 2009, 7:15 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Mafia: The Game

I encountered this game on another board and I found it to be quite hilarious. So I would love to introduce it here.

Rules
The basis behind the game is that there are two sides, Mafia and Public. All (however many people are playing) have been trapped inside a (place of your choice) and in order to get out, one team must become the victor. The catch? The Public do not know whot the Mafia are, but the Mafia know who the other Mafia are.

Each person will have a role in the game. That role will be randomly assigned, without preference (Using a deck of cards). These are the 8 roles in the game. According to the place I found this the Insomniac was a new addition, so if we need to make extra space we can discard him from the game.

1: Bystander - Youre a bystander in this whole situation. You cant do much except accuse people when selected. You are trying to win the game!
2: Doctor - The power of medicine is at your hand! If you walk into the correct room at night, then you can save the life of a potential victim.
3: Sheriff - A master detective, capable of digging up dirt on one person a night.
4: Mafia - The bad guys with the Mafia. Every night, they all agree on one person to kill. The bystanders try to kill these people. There is a ratio of four bystanders to one Mafia person.
5: Thug - A lowly thug in the mafia. They have the ability to trade places with anyone to be killed in the day time... however, not even they know who the mafia are.
6: Trapper - He's taking matters into his own hands. Every other night he goes and booby traps a room so that unsuspecting mafia might get taken out when their dirty work is done.
7: Godfather- A special mafia member, who cannot be discovered by the Sheriff. He or she can only be killed during the day. (Which means the trapper cannot take him or her out)
8: Insomniac - He never goes to sleep at night. Because of this, he hears some pretty strange things... (If someone visits the room next to them during the night, then they discover the identity of that person, but not what they were doing)

The game consists of multiple "Night" and "Day" rounds... each game starts with a night round. The following will happen (In PMs)

1: All Mafia members will PM me the name of four people that they want dead. The person with the most votes between them all will be killed. In the event of a tie, the Godfather will give the final vote.
2: The Doctor will list off one person that they are trying to save. If its the same person that the Mafia wants dead, then the life is saved and the bystanders get another chance.
3: The Sheriff will ask me in PM the name of one person in the game. I will tell you if they are mafia or not.
4: The Trapper will list the name of a person every other round. If it is the same room as the mafia, then a mafia person will die along with the person in that room. If the doctor enters after the mafia, then the person is saved... however if only the doctor enters in the night, the doctor is dead.
5: The Insomniac will be informed of a name of a person that visited a room next to them in the night, if the situation permits.
6: After the night passes, the name of the person killed, and their role, will be announced. When you are killed, you arent allowed to contribute any information whatsoever that reveals the nature of any persons.

After a night turn, a day round comes around. The following will happen.

1: The person who is dead, or saved, will be announced.
2: For 24-48 hours, everyone will be allowed to converse and voice their theories. PLEASE INCLUDE AT LEAST ONE PERSON YOU THINK IS IN THE MAFIA, IN BOLD
3: After 24-48 hours, I will look through and pick the three most "accused" people. They will be up for voting. During this time, you ARE allowed to vote for a "no kill"
4: The entire group of people will then have a vote of killing. Whoever gets the most votes will be killed off.
5: In case of a tie, a single person who did not vote for either tie-member will do a tie breaker.
6: At this point, a thug can step in and take the bullet if he or she believes the person up for killing to be in the mafia.
7: If enough people vote to kill off nobody, then nobody will be killed for that day. Nighttime will follow the voting round like normal.

The process then goes into a night round once more, and repeats until there are more Mafia members than bystanders, or until all of the Mafia is killed.

Important side-noty things to remember

1)The Godfather appears to be on the side of good when checked by the sheriff
2)The insomniac is aware of activity happening in his room, and his adjacent rooms
3)The insomniac and Godfather cannot be killed at night.
4)There is a 3 day time limit on PMs in order to keep the game moving
5)The game ends when either all of the mafia are killed, or enough bystanders are killed for the Mafia to outnumber them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are gonna need at least 8 people for this. Feel free to post in here if interested.

Last edited by Chris Britton; February 21, 2009 at 7:23 PM
Old February 22, 2009, 10:33 AM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

I tried to start a Mafia game a while back but there wasn't much interest. However, I personally love these games so im up for it.

Old February 22, 2009, 10:39 AM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

Don't really get the accusing thing because ... I can't be bothered to read it all in detail. But it still sounds good, I'd get the gist! Sounds fun!
Old February 22, 2009, 1:23 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Right so currently...

1: Ross
2: Jamie.

Jamie, What I have found form observing other games is that no-one gets accused initially due to lack of evidence, but as the game progresses you may start to suspect people who might have not said anything during the game, or who have accused someone twice in a row or who may have accused anyone right from the start.

It also helps if the Doctor saves someone or the trapper manages to trap someone, which I will announce each turn, or if the insomniac is used they will report that they heard someone, or the Sheriff might post here and tell the name of someone who is mafia.

6 more to fill at least. I can't play since I need to be the game master
Old February 22, 2009, 2:21 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

May I suggest a much simpler game. Dont have a trapper or any ridiculously complicated roles like that. Just have a few townies, a doctor, cop on the side of the town. Then for the mafia, only have the godfather as well as a few ordinary mafia.

As for the sequence of events, as soon as the night is over, publish a newspaper with clues as to who could have been the killer, and use clues that people would know about each of us in real life. Then have a discussion and a vote, and after there is a majority vote, the person is lynched and it is revealed whether they were mafia or town etc. Also, some important things people should know, dont reveal your role. For example, if you are the cop and you investigate someone during the night and find they are mafia, then dont go shouting during the day about how you know him to be guilty... then the Mafia will just kill you the next night. And it is a good tactic for the Mafia to try and get an innocent lynched during the day.

This is the variation of the game that they have on Max's SW site, and it works wonderfully.

Old February 22, 2009, 2:42 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Originally Posted by Ross Hendrie View Post
May I suggest a much simpler game. Dont have a trapper or any ridiculously complicated roles like that. Just have a few townies, a doctor, cop on the side of the town. Then for the mafia, only have the godfather as well as a few ordinary mafia.

As for the sequence of events, as soon as the night is over, publish a newspaper with clues as to who could have been the killer, and use clues that people would know about each of us in real life. Then have a discussion and a vote, and after there is a majority vote, the person is lynched and it is revealed whether they were mafia or town etc. Also, some important things people should know, dont reveal your role. For example, if you are the cop and you investigate someone during the night and find they are mafia, then dont go shouting during the day about how you know him to be guilty... then the Mafia will just kill you the next night. And it is a good tactic for the Mafia to try and get an innocent lynched during the day.

This is the variation of the game that they have on Max's SW site, and it works wonderfully.
In that case Ross, would you take over as the game master. You've played that version before and I am more familiar with what I wrote above.
Old February 22, 2009, 2:47 PM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

Well, I haven't got the gist yet, but I'd be interested in being the insomniac.
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!
Old February 22, 2009, 3:06 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

First post is tl;dr. Simpler version might work.
Old February 22, 2009, 3:13 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
First post is tl;dr. Simpler version might work.
Thats why I asked Ross to take over, he is more familiar with a simple version.

Ben, your Role is randomly determined
Old February 22, 2009, 4:21 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Yeah very well, I will agree to be game master.

So at the moment we have Chris, Jamie, Ben and Danny(?), I think at least another four players are required.

Old February 22, 2009, 5:16 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Originally Posted by Ross Hendrie View Post
Yeah very well, I will agree to be game master.

So at the moment we have Chris, Jamie, Ben and Danny(?), I think at least another four players are required.
I guess that the PM functions I explained in my first post remain. Mafia PM you who they want to kill, Doctor PM's who they want to save and Cop PM's you who he wants to investigate, the rest just decide who to lynch each day
Old February 22, 2009, 5:32 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Yeah, though i'll post a more in depth overview once we've got enough people.

Old February 22, 2009, 6:30 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I'm tentatively in.
Old February 24, 2009, 5:38 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Awesome! Half way there then.