2/5 - Below Average 0 0%
1/5 - Poor 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 29, 2006, 9:21 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Doctor Who 2x03 - "School Reunion"

On tonight's episode of Doctor Who, the Doctor investigates a London school which is being haunted by strange, bat-like creatures at night, and finds his old friend, Sarah Jane Smith, already working undercover. Both have old scores they must settle, and Rose discovers the true legacy of being a Time Lord's companion.

I enjoyed this episode a lot -- it was great to see Sarah and K9 back, and I'm really glad they kept the same K9 prop, John Leeson's voice, and even the same laser sound! Also, a very good story from Toby Whithouse and some fine acting from Anthony Stewart Head as Mr. Finch the headmaster. Very, very good episode, and a 5 out of 5 from me!

That makes this season average so far a 4 out of 5, recovering nicely from the shaky start that "New Earth" gave it. Roll on "The Girl in the Fireplace!"
Old April 30, 2006, 9:13 AM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Im afraid I was disappointed with the episode. Sure it was good seeing K9 and that back but im afraid I wasn't impressed or excited at all about the plot.

Old April 30, 2006, 11:38 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Ross, to be honest i thought you would have liked it, I am suprised.

Im my opinion, this was Doctor Who back to it's best, after a lacklusture opener and a slightly dissappointing 2nd episode, this one brought it back to brilliance and reminded me of why it was good, a nice plot, some fine acting and preformances, and with another linkt to the past in the form of Sarah Jane Smith and K9 was a nice add in, i was scared when i first saw the Aliens and creeping around in school. And i was very sad when K9 sacrficied itself. it was a dramtic, well planned ending, and i was happy with a new K9 appeared. This was the best episode so far, and my favorite of the series, 5 out of 5!
Old April 30, 2006, 12:31 PM
Bajoran Rogue (Offline)

I liked this one. Last weeks's, I had to watch twice to like it, and watched the one before that twice, both times on the BBC Three repeats and wasn't too sure about that, but this week's I liked first time. Definatly want to see the old serieses after this.
Old April 30, 2006, 4:09 PM
Ronnie Rowlands (Offline)
Look who's back!

OK i have now seen this episode, and it was very impressive, one thing troubles me, how did the doc get a job in this school? I really dont understand why people liked K9 so much though, what exactly was the point of him? A robot dog, oh please. In my mind, the 2 most ridiculous things in Doc Who are K9 and Bessie. Come on now, a time lord of all people driving all around the countryside in a stupid old clamped out ancient piece of junk. How does he explain if a policeman stops him in the street for his drivers license? Absolutely rubbbish. But away from all that, i liked the episode
Old May 1, 2006, 6:00 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ross Hendrie
Im afraid I was disappointed with the episode. Sure it was good seeing K9 and that back but im afraid I wasn't impressed or excited at all about the plot.
I thought the plot was certainly within the "above average" category at least, just as most of the others this new series (as a whole, not just series two) have turned out. Aliens manipulating children at a school to gain access to the power of their minds to unlock a universal puzzle? That's pretty good stuff, even if not as new and different as the events of, say, "The Empty Child."

Originally Posted by Chris Britton
Ross, to be honest i thought you would have liked it, I am suprised.

Im my opinion, this was Doctor Who back to it's best, after a lacklusture opener and a slightly dissappointing 2nd episode, this one brought it back to brilliance and reminded me of why it was good, a nice plot, some fine acting and preformances, and with another linkt to the past in the form of Sarah Jane Smith and K9 was a nice add in, i was scared when i first saw the Aliens and creeping around in school. And i was very sad when K9 sacrficied itself. it was a dramtic, well planned ending, and i was happy with a new K9 appeared. This was the best episode so far, and my favorite of the series, 5 out of 5!
Very glad to see you're enjoying these episodes once again as you should be, Chris!

Originally Posted by Bajoran Rogue
I liked this one. Last weeks's, I had to watch twice to like it, and watched the one before that twice, both times on the BBC Three repeats and wasn't too sure about that, but this week's I liked first time. Definatly want to see the old serieses after this.
I sympathize with your opinions on these episodes, Rogue, except that "Tooth and Claw" only took one viewing to have me like it. Other than that, though, we're on the same page, and I'm glad that this episode has whetted your appetite for the old series! That's very good to hear, and I hope that this episode had that effect on more than just you!

Originally Posted by Ronn
OK i have now seen this episode, and it was very impressive, one thing troubles me, how did the doc get a job in this school? I really dont understand why people liked K9 so much though, what exactly was the point of him? A robot dog, oh please. In my mind, the 2 most ridiculous things in Doc Who are K9 and Bessie. Come on now, a time lord of all people driving all around the countryside in a stupid old clamped out ancient piece of junk. How does he explain if a policeman stops him in the street for his drivers license? Absolutely rubbbish. But away from all that, i liked the episode
Ouch. Ronn's being a bit harsh in this review. I'll tell you that I'm one of Doctor Who's more hardcore followers, in case you couldn't tell. I'm pretty nitpicky, and obsessive about minute details, but I love K9 and I always have. A robot dog could easily have been cheesy, but the prop and the personality and the life that John Leeson's voice brought to the character made him a most endearing friend to the Doctor that a generation of fans loved. I met John Leeson myself once and he's a fantastic man, and I really love K9 unabashedly and unashamedly. And as far as Bessie? That's just sad that you can't appreciate the Third Doctor's love of gadgets and automobiles. In the episode Spearhead From Space, the Doctor has a chance to get behind the wheels of one such car, and he has fun with it so he requests another one from the Brigadier. Then he tweaks it and employs modifications to make his life easier during his stay on Earth. It's hard to get around on Earth without a car, and the Doctor's a sentimental old Time Lord, so cut him some slack.

There. My defense of Doctor Who.
Old May 1, 2006, 1:07 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Danny is on form today, good for supporters, bad for those against him
Old May 1, 2006, 1:13 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

I really dont see what the big craze about this episode was actually all about now that ive seen it.

Old May 1, 2006, 1:16 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

I thought it was a really touching Episode, now i can't wait for the Cybermen
Old May 1, 2006, 5:28 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Chris -- get excited for the clockwork robots in next week's episode, because the Cybermen are the week after.

And I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it, Ross.
Old May 5, 2006, 7:57 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

I can;t wait though.
Old May 5, 2006, 9:17 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Every episode of Doctor Who has the potential to be great -- it doesn't need Daleks or Cybermen to make it so.
Old May 6, 2006, 5:26 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Just get the nexct episode poll open, i want to voice how much i felt about it