3/10 - Very Poor 0 0%
2/10 - Horrible 0 0%
1/10 - Unwatchable 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 4, 2007, 10:24 AM
Jez (Offline)
Snizzel ma Wizzel

Simple, spend less time faffing about at earlier stages of the episode.

He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt him it was really quite hypnotic.

*Officially the most likeable person since the last one*
Old June 4, 2007, 10:27 AM
MI7 (Offline)
Pex Lives

I wouldn't have kept them in. I would have either cut them, ditched Tennant's monologue from them and/or cut some of the wandering-through-No-Man's-Land baggage from the WW1 scene.

I see I'm in the minority here but they really didn't work for me. The story had ended and was being dragged on to fill time, and what they did put in seemed ridiculously Hollywood and schmaltzy with the Doctor N' Martha Poppy Crew. Just a shot of Tim at the War Memorial and the Doctor and Martha standing off to the side without all this other stuff that belonged on a Remembrance Day episode.
Old June 4, 2007, 12:42 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

But then the flashes from the watch to when he jumped clear of the artillery shell would have been completely meaningless.

Also, Id doubt it was No Man's Land they were wandering through, it was probably some rear area and Tim was helping whatshisticket back to an aid post.

Old June 4, 2007, 1:03 PM
MI7 (Offline)
Pex Lives

Originally Posted by Ross Hendrie View Post
But then the flashes from the watch to when he jumped clear of the artillery shell would have been completely meaningless.

Also, Id doubt it was No Man's Land they were wandering through, it was probably some rear area and Tim was helping whatshisticket back to an aid post.
The flashes of the watch at first seemed to reflect not only the futility of the whole thing as Tim and Hutchinson were only to die in battle after the events was over (Tim says as much in that they survive to Hutchinson) and also to reflect the horror of the First World War as Tim was so young yet still in the firing line. And of course the most straightforward explaination that the scene was there to simply show that Tim could use the watch to see the future...the whole first flashback scene would have made perfect sense without revisiting it at the end.

If he was going back to a rear area then Tim and Hutchinson would most certainly have used one of the service trenches connecting the front and rear lines rather than walk over the top in the field of fire...hell they nearly got hit by a shell nevermind being shot at. Isn't picking at my use of historical terminology rather than addressing my comments about the episode being the teeniest bit pedantic anyway?
Old June 4, 2007, 2:41 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Originally Posted by MI7 View Post
Isn't picking at my use of historical terminology rather than addressing my comments about the episode being the teeniest bit pedantic anyway?
Yeah but that's just what im like.

Originally Posted by MI7 View Post
If he was going back to a rear area then Tim and Hutchinson would most certainly have used one of the service trenches connecting the front and rear lines rather than walk over the top in the field of fire...hell they nearly got hit by a shell nevermind being shot at.
I dont think they were being shot at. Also, artillery has a very, very long range. The planks which are seen in the background wouldn't have been put in No Man's Land by either side, as it would make it easier for the enemy to cross and attack their lines. When I was talking about a "rear area" I didn't necessarily mean as far forward as being in the trench system at all, but rather behind the lines. There were normally at least 3 trenches connected by support trenches and then it was open country(although not really much prettier due to shelling) and then the logistics dumps, aid posts and stuff, it seems they were somewhere between the trenches and there.

Anyways, yeah im beginning to see what you mean that was a bit pedantic.

Old June 6, 2007, 10:19 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

By the fast the best this series has written so far, in response to last weeks episode, this goes one better, and is therefore the first 10 out of 10 i award this series. It was scary in parts, quite touching, and for a minute i thought John Smith has surrendered the Doctor, and those flash forward to a proposed future, and the World War 1 scenes were so moving, i nearly cried, and the emotion swelled up inside. This was almost flawless, a bit of ironing out here and there i feel. But this definatley is one of the best episodes of the new series. I predict the final 4 will see at least 3 10 out of 10's from me and everyone else.

<raises glass> heres to next week
Old June 9, 2007, 9:04 AM
Who?

<raise glass> Cheers! , Great episode! Can't wait for next weeks, Looks really good!
Old January 11, 2008, 5:07 PM
tardis2008 (Offline)

Best episode ever.I felt so sorry for John Smith and the ending was stuff of legend.
Closed Thread