DannyStewart.com Forums

Go Back   DannyStewart.com Forums > General Discussion > General Chat

Old October 6, 2007, 1:32 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Superkid11 View Post
Macs or my unhealthy obsession with David Tennant?
Macs.

What? It's so nifty...... pretty... smoothe... so powerful but so compact...
The problem is that James wants an iMac too.
Old October 6, 2007, 2:03 PM
Dalek104 (Offline)

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
The problem is that James wants an iMac too.
The problem is that I need an iMac.
Old October 6, 2007, 2:05 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

Originally Posted by Dalek104 View Post
The problem is that I need an iMac.
We wants it, we needs it, the preeciiiooousssss.....

And there's something else I've thought of. I found the Windows XP disk we have(It's pro, not home. Dunno what we did with the home disk.), but it was already used on one of the computers. However, it's my dad's computer that it was used on. He'll probably get rid of that one in favor of the Media Center when I get the iMac. Will there be problems using that disk with Parallels or Bootcamp?

Last edited by Superkid11; October 6, 2007 at 4:01 PM
Old October 6, 2007, 6:02 PM
Ronnie Rowlands (Offline)
Look who's back!

This computer is an iMac. You DON'T want an iMac. Not this one anyway. This one is a shed. A shed that has passed its prime.
Old October 6, 2007, 6:14 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowlands View Post
This computer is an iMac. You DON'T want an iMac. Not this one anyway. This one is a shed. A shed that has passed its prime.
Old October 6, 2007, 6:26 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowlands View Post
Ronnie is talking about his 1999 iMac with a 600 MHz processor and 256 MB of memory. Ignore him.

For the record, I have an even older iMac (the one I mentioned several posts back) and it still performs decently for me.
Old October 6, 2007, 6:36 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

iMacs are not just computers, they are a thing of beauty, one of the last lights against the battle against Microborg.

One fo my hall mates here at Uni has a Mac. It's so wonderful to use. it makes you feel good to be alive
Old October 6, 2007, 6:36 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chris Britton View Post
iMacs are not just computers, they are a thing of beauty, one of the last lights against the battle against Microborg.

One fo my hall mates here at Uni has a Mac. It's so wonderful to use. it makes you feel good to be alive
Exactly.
Old October 6, 2007, 7:52 PM
Recurring Villain (Offline)
biggus dickus

I think I'm going to either:

a. Throw up.

or

b. Go out and buy the biggest and bestest Mac I can find and smash it to pieces in front of you all.

Not at all benevolent dictator and I don't need to sign my posts cause my name is up there at the top.
Old October 6, 2007, 8:20 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

Originally Posted by Recurring Villain View Post
I think I'm going to either:

a. Throw up.

or

b. Go out and buy the biggest and bestest Mac I can find and smash it to pieces in front of you all.
It's your lunch and money.

Last edited by Superkid11; October 6, 2007 at 8:27 PM
Old October 6, 2007, 8:49 PM
Recurring Villain (Offline)
biggus dickus

I figured you guys would pay for it.

Not at all benevolent dictator and I don't need to sign my posts cause my name is up there at the top.
Old October 6, 2007, 8:58 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Couldn't agree more. I would not have come up with a response that witty, so I thank you for doing it for me.

Why would I put down money to see something I loved be destroyed? You're a bit obtuse.
Old October 6, 2007, 9:05 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

Oh sure, we'll pay for it. While we're at it we'll feed you every day and marry you.

Now excuse me while I get back to the apple website and resume masturba- I mean, researching.

Last edited by Superkid11; October 6, 2007 at 9:08 PM
Old October 6, 2007, 9:57 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Oh sure, we'll pay for it. While we're at it we'll feed you every day and marry you.
You, sir, are on a roll.

Now excuse me while I get back to the apple website and resume masturba- I mean, researching.
I'll leave you to that, then.
Old October 7, 2007, 8:44 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

And there's something else I've thought of. I found the Windows XP disk we have(It's pro, not home. Dunno what we did with the home disk.), but it was already used on one of the computers. However, it's my dad's computer that it was used on. He'll probably get rid of that one in favor of the Media Center when I get the iMac. Will there be problems using that disk with Parallels or Bootcamp?
Your lack of computer knowledge is showing.

You do realize that CDs are read-only, right? It's not like Microsoft can deactivate a Windows disc once it's been installed once and prevent it from being used again.

What they can do is disable your product key. Which is why I would recommend grabbing an XP Pro SP2 Corporate CD from online, then you don't have to worry about keys or activation or anything like that.

Still, you won't know until you try. But it might be a good idea to have a second (downloaded) disc ready in case you can't use your original for whatever reason.

(Also, Pro > Home. Don't use Home. Home = Evil + Suck.)
Old October 7, 2007, 9:54 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

I'll do that. I'm more willing to do that now seeing as I can just tell my mom and dad that the legit CD worked.
Worst case scenario I guess if I can't burn one is that we'll have to call somebody who is likely in India to get a new key code.
I just downloaded one. Do I burn just the ISO or the or both the ISO and the MSinfo document that came with it?
(Lol, and earlier I downloaded Photoshop CS3. Arr! I actually got it so I could get an activation code for my girlfreind instead of me though. Would that make me more of a Robin Hood than a pirate?)

And is there a way to stop the Windows part from accessing the internet but let the Mac part?

Last edited by Superkid11; October 8, 2007 at 12:13 AM
Old October 8, 2007, 12:54 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I'll do that. I'm more willing to do that now seeing as I can just tell my mom and dad that the legit CD worked.
Perfect.

Worst case scenario I guess if I can't burn one is that we'll have to call somebody who is likely in India to get a new key code.
Not sure how well that will work, but you can try it.

I just downloaded one. Do I burn just the ISO or the or both the ISO and the MSinfo document that came with it?
You do understand how ISO files work, right? They are CD images. You do not simply put the ISO onto a disc -- you use a burning program to write the contents of the ISO to a disc. An ISO file is an exact image copy of a disc. You can ignore the .nfo file -- but you may want to check and see if there's a key in there. (Open it with Notepad.)

(Lol, and earlier I downloaded Photoshop CS3. Arr! I actually got it so I could get an activation code for my girlfreind instead of me though. Would that make me more of a Robin Hood than a pirate?)
Call yourself what you like.

Although you should get Adobe CS3 for Mac for yourself.

And is there a way to stop the Windows part from accessing the internet but let the Mac part?
Umm, sure. With Boot Camp, you could just unplug the wire or not connect it to your wireless access point or what have you. With Parallels, you can simply disable the network interface.
Old October 9, 2007, 3:43 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

Well, I burned it. I already had a program capible of ISO burning, by Roxio. Unsettlingly, OneCare caught it trying to access the internet before I burned the cd. Fortunately I could block it. Now I have to hide it in the attic.
If I use the non-legit one one of the reasons I want to block it from accessing the internet is incase it has built-in spyware or something. The reviews were good though.

On another forum I read you can install a legit copy of XP on up to 3 computers, is that true?
Old October 9, 2007, 5:32 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Well, I burned it. I already had a program capible of ISO burning, by Roxio. Unsettlingly, OneCare caught it trying to access the internet before I burned the cd. Fortunately I could block it. Now I have to hide it in the attic.
Unjustified paranoia alert.

Roxio just checks the internet to see if there are any updates available.

If I use the non-legit one one of the reasons I want to block it from accessing the internet is incase it has built-in spyware or something. The reviews were good though.
It won't have built-in spyware. Besides, spyware slows down your computer regardless of whether you're connected to the internet or not. I think you're overreacting to all this. Just let them both use the internet. No harm will be done.

On another forum I read you can install a legit copy of XP on up to 3 computers, is that true?
Nope, that's completely untrue. If you go to the store and buy a copy of Windows XP, you are buying one license. One license is used up on each computer you install it on. That doesn't mean you can't install it on multiple computers anyway, but that's not what Microsoft intends and it will likely not activate properly.
Old October 10, 2007, 9:39 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

I find peoples lack of faith in iMacs, distrubing. <Force choakes the Microsoft fans>