2/10 - Horrible 1 3.70%
1/10 - Unwatchable 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 4, 2007, 4:47 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by stutomo View Post
I was looking forward to this episode all week but I was dissapointed with the outcome. I agree with everything Danny said.
Thank you. Glad someone agrees with me.

In my opinion, The Parting Of The Ways is the best season finale out of the three we've had so far. It will take something special to beat it.
I would tend to agree. All of RTD's finales are only good cinematically -- they're grand overtures that are designed to make you feel rather than think. To be fair, this is evident in TPOTW as well, just a bit less so.

I hear Steven Moffat has been signed up for a 2 parter in series 4. They should give him the finale to write, rather than Russell.
Amen to that.

I didn't see much TV during the week leading up to Last Of The Time Lords, but I don't think they had a little teaser trailer every day of the week like they did with The Parting Of The Ways and Doomsday. Am I right? We knew something big was happening to they treated us to a little snippet each day. I don't think we got that this year. Nothing special stood out for me in this years finale.
Not being based in the UK, I can't say for sure, but I didn't notice them on the BBC web site or anywhere like the two years before.

I was sad that Jack had to leave... and in the fashion he did. He should have stayed in the TARDIS and played a bigger part in series 4. I felt he was under-used in the three episodes he was in this year. He didn't have alot of screen time. Do other people think he was in the background too much or was I just expecting to see alot more Jack after seeing more of him in Torchwood?
You're absolutely right -- he was extremely underused in all three episodes they had him back. What a waste. Jack's a great, fun character, and his potential was really wasted for what will probably be the last time he appears on Doctor Who.

One final thing: I just hope they called Jack the Face of Boe and that he isnt actually the Face of Boe. That just doesn't make sence. What happens to his body? Or since he can't die, was he decapitated and then pickled in a jar?
Yeah, I thought this was pretty ridiculous too. What I said above is "You can take it seriously or you can take it as a joke -- the only thing is, as a joke it makes sense, but seriously, it doesn't."

I think that covers it pretty adequately.
Old July 4, 2007, 5:57 PM
stutomo (Offline)

Thanks for your comments Danny.

It will be a shame if Jack doesn't return to Doctor Who at some stage. At least we can watch him in Torchwood series 2 whenever that arrives on screen. Early 2008 is what I last heard. It will be interesting to see how Martha is included with Torchwood and what her role will be? Will she take a holiday to Cardiff and just happen to bump into Jack? That would be silly now wouldnt it.
Old July 4, 2007, 8:41 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

She'll probably actively seek out Jack since they're both staying on contemporary Earth.
Old July 5, 2007, 2:54 PM
Hamster (Offline)
Renegade Master

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
My faith in RTD has been destroyed lately, sadly.
Thank God! Someone who agrees with me about him for a change!

http://www.dannystewart.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=542&dateline=11822713  94
Banner created by Flip of the Railway Arms forum
Old July 5, 2007, 2:59 PM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

He's running out of idea I think.
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!
Old July 5, 2007, 3:02 PM
Hamster (Offline)
Renegade Master

Totally agree with you there Ben. It seems to me that he's more concerned with asserting his own ideas and views than he is with writing a complete and competent story, if that makes sense

http://www.dannystewart.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=542&dateline=11822713  94
Old July 5, 2007, 3:04 PM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

EXACTLY!!! He's wrting a story that he'd be happy watching, not a Doctor Who fan.
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!
Old July 5, 2007, 3:09 PM
Hamster (Offline)
Renegade Master

I remember saying a while back in my opinion on 'Gridlock' that a lot of his work seems too samey. Generally speaking, in an RTD piece, you'll always find a gay character/s and/or it'll be extollling the virtues of Wales to great extent.

I'd like to stress that I have nothing against homosexuals or Welsh people (given that I am at Uni in Wales) but as I've said before it just gets too boring after a while. In my own personal opinion the mark of a really good TV script that you can't really tell for certain what episodes they've written. In the case of RTD, it's all too obvious.

Last edited by Hamster; July 5, 2007 at 3:18 PM
Old July 5, 2007, 3:14 PM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

I'd say he should get out while he's still in one piece, eventually people are gonna really notice the same thing over and over again.
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!
Old July 5, 2007, 3:19 PM
Hamster (Offline)
Renegade Master

Agreed. He's written some fantastic episodes, but perhaps it's time for him to bail

Old July 5, 2007, 4:12 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

Russel should stay on only to add good dialogue to the episodes and leave everything else to the others. He may not be a good plotter, but he's damn good with brilliant lines.
Old July 5, 2007, 8:29 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Agreed. He's written some fantastic episodes, but perhaps it's time for him to bail
I must respectfully disagree. In my opinion, RTD's episodes range from excruciatingly bad to moderately good. I have yet to see a phenomenal episode from him.

Originally Posted by Superkid11 View Post
Russel should stay on only to add good dialogue to the episodes and leave everything else to the others. He may not be a good plotter, but he's damn good with brilliant lines.
Rather a waste of a writer, wouldn't you say?
Old July 6, 2007, 3:38 AM
Ronnie Rowlands (Offline)
Look who's back!

Kind of have to agree with Danny. Even though Parting of the Ways was good, I just couldn't get over the fact that these modern popular gameshows would still be running this far ahead in the future. However, if you look around that, it's a very good story. But for me, this niggle was burnt into my mind and I couldn't see it as a serious classic. However, I liked Doomsday, Gridlock, and Smith and Jones, and, despite the bad finale, Utopia and the Sound of Drums are 2 of the best acted and creepiest stories I've ever witnessed.
Old July 6, 2007, 7:26 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowlands View Post
Kind of have to agree with Danny. Even though Parting of the Ways was good, I just couldn't get over the fact that these modern popular gameshows would still be running this far ahead in the future. However, if you look around that, it's a very good story. But for me, this niggle was burnt into my mind and I couldn't see it as a serious classic.
Exactly. It's stuff like that that RTD does most typically, and that's the kind of thing that has always bothered the hell out of me. Stop with the contemporary references!

Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowlands View Post
However, I liked Doomsday, Gridlock, and Smith and Jones, and, despite the bad finale, Utopia and the Sound of Drums are 2 of the best acted and creepiest stories I've ever witnessed.
Doomsday -- pretty good.
Gridlock -- meh.
Smith and Jones -- agreed; perhaps RTD's best.
Utopia -- also agreed; pretty damn good one here too.
Sound of Drums -- hmm... this is where my interest in the finale dipped, so I dunno.
Old July 6, 2007, 7:33 AM
Look who's back!

Is this that hindsight thing kicking in again Danny? I canr emember last year, when you saw Doomsday, everyone was like "OMFG" "AMAZING!!!!" And now it's "pretty good"? Why does your opinion change so much?
Old July 6, 2007, 9:31 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I'm always on a high after watching an episode for the first time, so it always seems better that first time through. After living with it for days, weeks, months, and watching it countless times over and over again your opinion changes and the flaws shine through. It's safe to say that my opinion is never the same after watching it the first time versus after watching it ten times later. 9/10 times my opinion will get lower -- the other 1/10 times my opinion will get higher (as with Utopia).
Old July 6, 2007, 9:34 AM
Look who's back!

You know what would be a good idea Danny? If you reopened all of the S2 and S1 threads and posted a second review, having spent a year or 2 to watch time and time again, and see if your opinions stay the same.
Old July 6, 2007, 10:32 AM
stutomo (Offline)

I got that with Tooth and Claw. I didn't enjoy it that much on the first viewing. (You can shoot me if you want to as long as it doesn't kill me ).

But after watching it again once I'd got the series 2 box set, I thought it was one of the best episodes from that series. It's strange what several viewings does to you.

RIP Dalek Fred

Old July 6, 2007, 4:13 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I'm going to create a new thread for all my new reviews as soon as I have a chance to write them.
Old July 6, 2007, 5:10 PM
Jez (Offline)
Snizzel ma Wizzel

You know why else your opinion will degrade? You'll get bored of seeing the same episode over and over.

He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt him it was really quite hypnotic.

*Officially the most likeable person since the last one*
Closed Thread