Closed Thread

Old June 30, 2008, 3:22 PM
Josef Kenny (Offline)
It's a social experiment.

Originally Posted by MI7
OH NO I'M SO SCARED
Cabinet reshuffle!!

Originally Posted by MI7
I THOUGHT YOU WERE MY FRIEND KODY. NEVER CONTACT ME AGAIN. AND I MEAN EVER.
Win. That completely excuses you, sir.

Last edited by Josef Kenny; June 30, 2008 at 3:27 PM
Old June 30, 2008, 3:29 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

waaaaaaaaaaaaat Ok this got way out of hand.
Old June 30, 2008, 3:30 PM
Josef Kenny (Offline)
It's a social experiment.

The P in Pink is for pwnage.
Old June 30, 2008, 3:34 PM
Alexus (Offline)

Cabinet reshuffle!!
LMFAO

Rat Souffle is the Master of Comedy!!
Rat Souffle is the Master of Comedy!!
Old June 30, 2008, 3:38 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

Rat's tension breaker aside I think there's been some misunderstandings going around.
Old June 30, 2008, 3:43 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

Originally Posted by Rat Souffle View Post
But it's not. It's more like iChat.

The Cult of Skaro is silly. It's not needed, it detracts from the idea of the Daleks and personifies them into a "collect them all!" box set of varied Daleks with cute, charming, consumer friendly personalties.
Yeh, but at all those offices she worked at, the would of used measly Windows
Old June 30, 2008, 4:04 PM
MI7 (Offline)
Pex Lives

Cabinet reshuffle!!
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old June 30, 2008, 4:20 PM
Alexus (Offline)

Originally Posted by MI7 View Post
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

What.
Old June 30, 2008, 6:40 PM
Mister_Wilbur (Offline)
AAAAAGGGGG!!!

Originally Posted by Superkid11 View Post
waaaaaaaaaaaaat Ok this got way out of hand.
I'm going to have to agree with Kody...
Old June 30, 2008, 7:11 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

The Cult of Skaro is silly. It's not needed, it detracts from the idea of the Daleks and personifies them into a "collect them all!" box set of varied Daleks with cute, charming, consumer friendly personalties.
I dont see why Daleks cant have any concept of new ideas...

Old July 1, 2008, 1:12 AM
Megan (Offline)
When I say run, run.

Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowlands View Post
I personally saw nothing up with that. It was a perfectly realistic comparison to make.
I absolutely hate it when writers reference fads or current cultural phenomena. In years to come when people start dropping facebook like a bad habit, this reference will become dated, confusing, and utterly meaningless. It was a pointless line and it's just further evidence of his terrible writing.

Well they're not going to use cereal boxes and sticky tape, are they?
Somehow I think it would've been more watchable if they did. I absolutely hate overuse of CGI. People have been posting about how the old series FX were really terrible and how the new series has much better graphics. I actually prefer the old series FX to this new "shiny = good" standard that they've created. In terms of the FX themselves, I prefer the rugged, handmade appeal of the old series FX to the newer "oh look I have a computer!" FX. The old series employed any means possible to enhance the appearance of their FX: interesting camera angles and tricks, carefully crafted costumes and good make-up, and using models where necessary. The result was a far more tactile and engaging experience. Even if they aren't perfect and at some times seem somewhat laughable, they at least made some kind of a creative effort.

Along with what Superkid said about RTD trying to make Doctor Who into Star Wars, the overuse of CGI is comparable to the Star Wars prequels, which show off with lavish CGI and FX but don't deliver in terms of plot or writing. I find the original Star Wars films to have better FX, because through trick editing and models, it feels as though the images are actually a part of this reality. They feel tactile and tangible and REAL, simply because they are. The same sort of ingenuity and technique is utilized on a smaller scale in the old series. I feel nostalgic for days when people were forced to come up with a resourceful way to get their visions onto the screen. Today someone dreams something crazy up and immediately their vision is made possible through CGI. This is a gift and a curse, and most often, and especially in "The Stolen Earth", it's a curse.

Sorry for ranting...CGI just really pisses me off.

What was wrong with that? I felt that was a very Dalek-like thing to say. Like "Pity? I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank".
Haha I guess I just thought the wording was kind of awkward and funny. "Pity? I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank" is somehow more believable and frightening than a defiant declaration that they don't accept apologies. It just struck me as silly. All of the Dalek quotes were pretty silly.
Old July 1, 2008, 2:41 AM
Kody (Offline)
Admin

Originally Posted by Megan View Post
Somehow I think it would've been more watchable if they did. I absolutely hate overuse of CGI. People have been posting about how the old series FX were really terrible and how the new series has much better graphics. I actually prefer the old series FX to this new "shiny = good" standard that they've created. In terms of the FX themselves, I prefer the rugged, handmade appeal of the old series FX to the newer "oh look I have a computer!" FX. The old series employed any means possible to enhance the appearance of their FX: interesting camera angles and tricks, carefully crafted costumes and good make-up, and using models where necessary. The result was a far more tactile and engaging experience. Even if they aren't perfect and at some times seem somewhat laughable, they at least made some kind of a creative effort.

Along with what Superkid said about RTD trying to make Doctor Who into Star Wars, the overuse of CGI is comparable to the Star Wars prequels, which show off with lavish CGI and FX but don't deliver in terms of plot or writing. I find the original Star Wars films to have better FX, because through trick editing and models, it feels as though the images are actually a part of this reality. They feel tactile and tangible and REAL, simply because they are. The same sort of ingenuity and technique is utilized on a smaller scale in the old series. I feel nostalgic for days when people were forced to come up with a resourceful way to get their visions onto the screen. Today someone dreams something crazy up and immediately their vision is made possible through CGI. This is a gift and a curse, and most often, and especially in "The Stolen Earth", it's a curse.
..I finished reading that with a jaw-dropping expression on my face. Apparently like Danny, we also share minds about certain things.

That was utterly amazing, so well said.

"What's the point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes?" - The Fourth Doctor
Old July 1, 2008, 11:29 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Megan View Post
Megan's Entire Post
Old July 1, 2008, 4:47 PM
Jez (Offline)
Snizzel ma Wizzel

It was alright, but nothing to write home about. That said, unfortunately Danny, I won't be topping myself just yet either.

And please don't pity us.

He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt him it was really quite hypnotic.

*Officially the most likeable person since the last one*
Old July 1, 2008, 4:51 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jez View Post
That said, unfortunately Danny, I won't be topping myself just yet either.
Have I topped myself and somehow failed to notice?
Old July 1, 2008, 4:58 PM
Jez (Offline)
Snizzel ma Wizzel

Yes, many times.

WANRING - DW Reference: but you regenerate....

**laughs like Ripper Roo**

He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt him it was really quite hypnotic.

Old July 1, 2008, 4:58 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jez View Post
Yes, many times.
Ah. Right-o then. Carry on.
Old July 1, 2008, 5:00 PM
Jez (Offline)
Snizzel ma Wizzel

What can I say, perhaps I'm still ill but it's moved from my kidneys to my head!

**dances like Madonna.....erm**

Old July 1, 2008, 5:13 PM
EverybodyelsE (Offline)

I voted this episode as good mostly for Julian's performance as Davros. Didn't like the huge headrest though, it looks odd!

As long as we don't get a 'reset button' scenario I won't rip someones face of at Who parties! RTD's Who was never going to change but I should think Steven will want to change a few things
Old July 1, 2008, 6:02 PM
Cassiuskitt (Offline)

I got the distinct feeling that RTD didnt want to give anything away in this episode so after taking out most of the story he was left with the task of getting the Doctor and Companions together (ish) then he must have thought "oh ***t I've got no story I know I'll put in loads of CGI in that'll look good".
I am just hoping that the final episode is going to be megga due to RTD (hopefully) saving the really good stuff till last.
Did anyone notice how smug RTD was at the end of the confidential episode? smug ba***rd could have quite happily swung for him.

In light of recent posts I would like to say that these are my opinions and thoughts and are not meant as anything other than that.
Closed Thread