DannyStewart.com Forums

Go Back   DannyStewart.com Forums > General Discussion > Creative Corner

Old August 6, 2007, 2:17 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I'm pleased to announce the completion of a new mix in the Fool's Gold series. I've done a brand new closing version of the theme, except this time it's Fool's Gold by name only, as it was started completely from scratch and did not use my existing Fool's Gold project as a basis (or even any elements from it).

I'm also very pleased to say that the mix was created entirely using Logic Express 7 on my Mac. This marks the first of what I hope to be many successful mixes that I make on a Mac.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that I made it using Logic or not, but I'm extremely proud of how this mix sounds overall... it has a fullness to it that took me months to capture with the original Fool's Gold on my PC, whereas I finished this entire mix in only two days. Maybe I've just gotten better at throwing together a mix, or maybe Logic really does make that big of a difference. Either way, I'm very happy with this mix, and with Logic!

Anyway, download the mix here: http://www.dannystewart.com/music/fgclosing.mp3

For those of you who want it in FLAC, it is available here: http://www.dannystewart.com/music/fgclosing.flac

I hope you like it! Comments are welcome.
Old August 6, 2007, 5:15 PM
Dalek104 (Offline)

That's awesome, Danny! I didn't think Fool's Gold could get any better, but I certainly like the new version even more.

Well done!
Old August 6, 2007, 8:37 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

Agreed there! Great job!
Packs somewhat less of a punch than the old one but I really do like this one better. Sounds smoother and more refined, I like that! (I may have been fishing for words but I think that's what I mean.)
Old August 7, 2007, 3:53 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Superkid11 View Post
Agreed there! Great job!
Packs somewhat less of a punch than the old one but I really do like this one better. Sounds smoother and more refined, I like that! (I may have been fishing for words but I think that's what I mean.)
Thanks Superkid. That's definitely what I was going for here... when I go back over the old one I find myself more and more displeased with how cripplingly powerful it is. I started playing it the other day with my volume accidentally too high and I almost thought my speakers were going to blow out. It doesn't have to be that powerful. I also started to feel like the Derbyshire bassline wasn't prominent enough, so I've brought it up a bit in this version. You've actually summed up my goals here pretty well when you say "smoother and more refined," because that's exactly what I wanted in comparison to the previous mix. I'm glad to hear you think I've succeeded -- thank you!
Old October 19, 2007, 4:07 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

Great music! Cant stop listening to it!

Will you make a new theme tune if there is a new theme for series 4? Murray Gold said in an interview there would be!

Do you do any other Doctor Who related music! Like in the actual story? Ro have you attempted the Torchwood theme or SJA theme??

Can anyone point me in the direction of Hardwires theme mentioned here and there??

Last edited by Dalek104; October 19, 2007 at 5:19 PM Reason: Merged posts
Old October 19, 2007, 4:41 PM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

http://whomix.trilete.net/?wmid=music
This'll get you there...you'll find him throught the artist list.
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!
Old October 19, 2007, 11:25 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by NegativeCyberman View Post
Great music! Cant stop listening to it!
Thanks very much!

Will you make a new theme tune if there is a new theme for series 4? Murray Gold said in an interview there would be!
If there's things that I like about a new arrangement and want to incorporate, then I'm sure that I will! I asked Murray about a new theme and he says he can't make any promises but we're all hoping.

Do you do any other Doctor Who related music! Like in the actual story? Ro have you attempted the Torchwood theme or SJA theme??
I am dabbling a bit with incidental music. As a matter of fact I have just been brought on board BrokenSea audio productions to do music for their Doctor Who audio dramas, so keep an ear out for that. As of yet, I have done a piece of incidental music based on the Torchwood theme, but nothing else Torchwood- or SJA-related.

Can anyone point me in the direction of Hardwires theme mentioned here and there??
If you mean Good as Gold, it's all over Whomix, as Ben linked you to above.
Old October 20, 2007, 4:08 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

thanks for all that info Danny! Incidental music is the sort of music that will be on the new soundtrack right?? (during episodes)

Could you show us your torchwood piece or is it still under construction! left a post for you on the OG thread!
Old October 20, 2007, 4:30 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

thanks for all that info Danny! Incidental music is the sort of music that will be on the new soundtrack right?? (during episodes)
Yup, that's right!

Could you show us your torchwood piece or is it still under construction! left a post for you on the OG thread!
Saw your post and left you a response.

About my Torchwood music, sure thing!

Here's a random piece of incidental-style music I composed: http://www.dannystewart.com/music/twincitest.mp3

And here's a recreation of some of the music from the penultimate episode: http://www.dannystewart.com/music/twclues.mp3
Old October 23, 2007, 4:30 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

Cool, Great stuff!!!
Old October 25, 2007, 4:50 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

Is there a closing theme with the Tardis sounds in??

I know theres an opening one!
Old October 25, 2007, 4:54 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Is there a closing theme with the Tardis sounds in??

I know theres an opening one!
The opening theme with TARDIS sounds was designed to sync up with the new series opening title sequence. There's no TARDIS in the closing so I didn't bother.
Old January 26, 2008, 4:04 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Over the past couple of months, I have been slowly working on porting the gargantuan original Fool's Gold project from ACID to Logic so that I can continue to work on it. (Seeing as I no longer own a PC, it would be difficult to keep the project going in ACID. Not to mention the fact that I infinitely prefer working in Logic.)

Yesterday, I put the finishing touches on what was pretty much a direct recreation of my original work. The one major difference was that the orchestral samples were provided this time by EWQLSO Gold (instead of Silver as in the previous version). However, last night I decided that I should do some more work with it and bring it a little more up to date, including incorporating some new elements from Gold's latest theme.

In this new version, I have added some distortion effects to my original synth bassline, as well as adding a new electric guitar backing in the style of the new Gold theme. I have also mirrored his new horn arrangement at certain points. If you listen closely, you will also be able to hear the Peter Howell bassline in there behind Delia's.

Click here to download Fool's Gold 2008.

Hope you like it! Comments and criticisms are welcome, of course. Considering that I've been working on this project since December of 2006, I very much doubt this is the last time I'll go back to it.
Old January 26, 2008, 9:15 AM
FanOfWho (Offline)

Wow, I never thought it could get any better
Old January 26, 2008, 3:52 PM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

I must admit, it's sounding SO much better now. It's seems so much more epic, without going overboard. It's punchy, and there's a lot there to listen to, without being too much. It's a very full sound, without spilling over the sides. A brilliant listen. I love how you've layed out the track too, different without becoming boring, which I find is a hard thing to do with this particular piece of music.
Your use of the Derbyshire elements are astromonical, it really makes the orchestra sound like the backing, building up to the explosion of the samples, and they are so prominant but well fitting.
It's just absolutely fantastic, a masterpiece in every big and little way. I don't know how you could improve upon this, but I'm open for suprises.
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!

Last edited by Ben Dawson; January 26, 2008 at 3:58 PM
Old January 26, 2008, 5:40 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

I just listened to my Danny Stewart Playlist, with all the Fools Gold as they progress and its awsome. I love how this 08 theme slowly goes from the old theme to the new one.

Will you remix the whole of the new theme (Murray's) as you did with the opening!
Old February 15, 2008, 1:15 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Another new mix in the Fool's Gold line. Earlier today, I was reading some comments on YouTube -- specifically some comments referring to my Children in Need based Gold/Howell hybrid theme. It got me thinking that what I'd ultimately like to do is make a proper Gold/Howell hybrid theme that did not rely on any of Gold's themes at all. Instead, I wanted to supply the Gold parts through my own orchestration done on the computer.

I already had most of this done in the form of Fool's Gold, so I decided to simply do an updated version of Fool's Gold that was mixed in with the Howell theme instead of the Derbyshire theme. I got to work cutting up my Fool's Gold project, removing the Derbyshire elements as well as many of the synth components that either didn't sit right or were simply unnecessary to mix in with the Howell theme as a base. Around four hours later, after some mixing and remixing, I had the new Fool's Gold Howell Mix.

Click here to download Fool's Gold (Howell Mix).

Comments and criticisms welcome.
Old February 15, 2008, 1:24 AM
Recurring Villain (Offline)
biggus dickus

I don't think it works that well, to be honest. Maybe with some tweaking, perhaps, but presently it just sounds a bit off.

Not at all benevolent dictator and I don't need to sign my posts cause my name is up there at the top.
Old February 15, 2008, 1:25 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Recurring Villain View Post
I don't think it works that well, to be honest. Maybe with some tweaking, perhaps, but presently it just sounds a bit off.
Really? Interesting.

I was actually rather impressed with how well it works... much better than any of my other Gold/Howell hybrids, and I've done a few. I dunno.

Can you come up with anything specific? Because again I've been really excited working on this, especially as it neared its final form and I think it sounds quite good...
Old February 15, 2008, 8:29 AM
Ronnie Rowlands (Offline)
Look who's back!

I felt it all sounded a bit messy, like 2 different versions being played over the top of eachother, sorry.