Closed Thread

Old June 26, 2008, 5:55 AM
Alexus (Offline)

True, Ross, when one considers some of the Star Wars books
Old June 26, 2008, 7:27 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ross Hendrie View Post
What is considered canon by the fans is often of more relevence, Alex.
Correct. The BBC could not care less what is canon.

Originally Posted by Ross Hendrie View Post
Fortunately, with the exception of Danny's elitist sect, the majority of fans do enjoy the new series.
For the record, I enjoy the vast majority of the new series. It gets all the little things right, and so the self-contained stories are usually pretty awesome. It's just the big arc-related garbage (that usually comes from RTD) that I hate.
Old June 26, 2008, 2:36 PM
Jez (Offline)
Snizzel ma Wizzel

I still do wonder why you watch RTD's stuff at all if it makes you want to top yourself Danny.

I will admit to being supportive of RTD not being what RT dubs "Who Supremo" anymore. But that's more because I think the series needs a change, not because I think he writes garbage.

And I hate elitist sects. I might start such a sect to "deal with" elitist sects......anybody want to join?

He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt him it was really quite hypnotic.

*Officially the most likeable person since the last one*

Last edited by Jez; June 26, 2008 at 2:41 PM
Old June 26, 2008, 3:25 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jez View Post
I still do wonder why you watch RTD's stuff at all if it makes you want to top yourself Danny.
Because I'm an obsessed hardcore Doctor Who fan, and I owe it to myself to know what's being done to my beloved show.
Old June 26, 2008, 4:08 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

I shall join such a sect, Jez.

Old June 27, 2008, 1:27 PM
Megan (Offline)
When I say run, run.

There's a difference between being an elitist about something and having high standards. I, who would probably be considered part of Danny's "elitist sect," have seen only a select number of both old series and new series episodes (only the ones that Danny has been kind enough to show me). In fact, I was exposed to the new series before the old series, so I can't even say my dislike of some of the new series stuff is just residual bias from adoring the old series. I am not a die-hard enough fan to be angry with the new series for trying to be different and to distinguish itself from the old series. Not having enough knowledge of the series as a whole, I don't often have the luxury of tearing an episode apart for its inconsistencies. However, I can, as an intelligent viewer, distinguish between that which is conceptually interesting and thoughtful and that which is obvious, cheesy, and virtually unwatchable. I found Turn Left to be the latter. The writing was poor, the acting was melodramatic, the concept on which the episode was centered is old, tedious, and obvious, and it served to establish basically nothing except that OMFG surprise! The Doctor is important! Apparently RTD thought we needed a reminder that the Doctor is important. The title of the goddamn show couldn't give you a hint? He's the protagonist. It kinda comes with the territory.

Danny and the other members of our "elitist sect" may be really hardcore Doctor Who fans, but we are first and foremost thoughtful viewers of the show who have the ability to determine whether an episode is good or bad on its own and also whether it is good or bad in the context of the entire series. When rating the episodes, both possibilities are taken into account. From my observations, an episode is rated highly if it succeeds in being a good episode on its own in addition to being a relevant addition to the series. Turn Left was given a -2 because, in our humble opinion, it failed on both counts.
Old June 27, 2008, 1:39 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Megan View Post
There's a difference between being an elitist about something and having high standards. I, who would probably be considered part of Danny's "elitist sect," have seen only a select number of both old series and new series episodes (only the ones that Danny has been kind enough to show me). In fact, I was exposed to the new series before the old series, so I can't even say my dislike of some of the new series stuff is just residual bias from adoring the old series. I am not a die-hard enough fan to be angry with the new series for trying to be different and to distinguish itself from the old series. Not having enough knowledge of the series as a whole, I don't often have the luxury of tearing an episode apart for its inconsistencies. However, I can, as an intelligent viewer, distinguish between that which is conceptually interesting and thoughtful and that which is obvious, cheesy, and virtually unwatchable. I found Turn Left to be the latter. The writing was poor, the acting was melodramatic, the concept on which the episode was centered is old, tedious, and obvious, and it served to establish basically nothing except that OMFG surprise! The Doctor is important! Apparently RTD thought we needed a reminder that the Doctor is important. The title of the goddamn show couldn't give you a hint? He's the protagonist. It kinda comes with the territory.

Danny and the other members of our "elitist sect" may be really hardcore Doctor Who fans, but we are first and foremost thoughtful viewers of the show who have the ability to determine whether an episode is good or bad on its own and also whether it is good or bad in the context of the entire series. When rating the episodes, both possibilities are taken into account. From my observations, an episode is rated highly if it succeeds in being a good episode on its own in addition to being a relevant addition to the series. Turn Left was given a -2 because, in our humble opinion, it failed on both counts.
Quoted for win.
Old June 27, 2008, 2:57 PM
Illusionist Lynx (Offline)

GTFO MY TARDIS /\/008!!!!!!!1
Old June 27, 2008, 4:03 PM
Kody (Offline)
Admin

QFE, epic win, etc.

I'd just like to say.. what is up with everyone coming here to try and insult people? Calling those of us that have valid reasons for not liking this episode an elitiest sect?

Ronnie at least explained why he liked it and debated it in a friendly, adult manner. Most of the other posters here have resorted to cheap comments and rather lame attempts at cutting us down for wanting to actually discuss/debate an episode.

We started the threads with jokes and LOLcat style pictures, but when asked why, we provided in depth writeups of what we felt was wrong with it.

If you can't accept that and still want to act like a ten year old, go right ahead I suppose.

"What's the point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes?" - The Fourth Doctor
Old June 27, 2008, 4:28 PM
Megan (Offline)
When I say run, run.

Originally Posted by Kody View Post
QFE, epic win, etc.

I'd just like to say.. what is up with everyone coming here to try and insult people? Calling those of us that have valid reasons for not liking this episode an elitiest sect?

Ronnie at least explained why he liked it and debated it in a friendly, adult manner. Most of the other posters here have resorted to cheap comments and rather lame attempts at cutting us down for wanting to actually discuss/debate an episode.

We started the threads with jokes and LOLcat style pictures, but when asked why, we provided in depth writeups of what we felt was wrong with it.

If you can't accept that and still want to act like a ten year old, go right ahead I suppose.
It seems that most people don't take kindly to constructive, logical criticism of the things they like, yet don't actually have enough of an argument to respond with anything other than ad hominem attacks. In case anyone was confused, "you suck" or an equivalent to that does not count as a valid argument. Sorry to burst your bubbles. Unless you want to sound like a moron, it might be a better idea to actually post a valid opinion about the episode rather than mindless and occasionally insulting word vomit.

k thx.

Oh and thanks for the props, everyone! I'm merely defending the awesomeness of our elitist sect!
Old June 27, 2008, 4:41 PM
Ronnie Rowlands (Offline)
Look who's back!

it might be a better idea to actually post a valid opinion about the episode rather than mindless and occasionally insulting word vomit.
Umm, thanks.
Old June 27, 2008, 4:48 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowlands View Post
Umm, thanks.
What an utterly witty and thoughtful reply!
Old June 27, 2008, 5:03 PM
Look who's back!

I was referring to the fact that I posted a perfectly legible rebuttal and it was referred to as "word vomit".
Old June 27, 2008, 5:26 PM
Megan (Offline)
When I say run, run.

Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowlands View Post
I was referring to the fact that I posted a perfectly legible rebuttal and it was referred to as "word vomit".
I thought in all of my text I had written something about commending those who actually took time to respond, but perhaps I was merely thinking of Kody's post. Like Kody, I don't really care if you have a differing opinion as long as you are able to defend it in a thoughtful, intelligent manner, as you did. Thoughtful posts which differ in opinion to other posts spark discussion. Which is good.

So yeah, your post wasn't word vomit at all. I was referring to other n00bs.
Old June 27, 2008, 5:28 PM
Kody (Offline)
Admin

Combined with the fact I also cited you as being the only one holding a good, mature argument Ronnie. We're complimenting you, damn it!

"What's the point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes?" - The Fourth Doctor
Old June 27, 2008, 6:24 PM
Look who's back!

Aww thanks. you've made me go all soft and fluffy like a little bunny rabbit now
Old June 27, 2008, 6:40 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

You just won the entire thread.

I haven't seen the episode yet but I will later tonight.
Old June 27, 2008, 7:24 PM
Megan (Offline)
When I say run, run.

Originally Posted by Superkid11 View Post
You just won the entire thread.
Thanks! You have made my day!

(It was a slow day.)
Old June 27, 2008, 10:35 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

Blah. I did enjoy the parts that weren't all... Donna and her family and such. I enjoyed a lot of Donna's lines during those scenes though.

But... yeah, this one just struck me the wrong way. I didn't think it was terrible, I just thought it was annoying for the most part. My parents didn't groan like I expected them to when Rose showed up.

I'm looking forward to the next one. I'm actually kind of enjoying this arc... call it a guilty pleasure.

In the trailer did it sound like a Dalek was going "KEKEKEKEKE" to anyone else?

Last edited by Superkid11; June 27, 2008 at 10:41 PM
Old June 28, 2008, 12:30 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Superkid11 View Post
In the trailer did it sound like a Dalek was going "KEKEKEKEKE" to anyone else?
Didn't sound like. Was.
Closed Thread

Tags
suicidal doctor who fans, turn left heresy