DannyStewart.com Forums

Go Back   DannyStewart.com Forums > General Discussion > General Chat

Old October 23, 2007, 4:05 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

Looks simple enough, at least I don't have to tear the whole thing open, thanks. Is there a particular kind of RAM for macs or can I just pick up any kind?

Last edited by Superkid11; October 23, 2007 at 4:10 PM
Old October 23, 2007, 5:42 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Superkid11 View Post
Looks simple enough, at least I don't have to tear the whole thing open, thanks. Is there a particular kind of RAM for macs or can I just pick up any kind?
Anything from here.

You'll find the best prices there, but if you choose to look elsewhere, make sure you get 200-pin DDR2 667 PC2-5300 SO-DIMM memory. The important distinction is that this will be laptop memory and not desktop memory. Also the key thing you need to look for is PC2-5300.

So just get any kind of PC2-5300 laptop memory and you'll be just fine.
Old October 24, 2007, 4:57 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

My dad feels safer just ordering it with 2gb ram because he's afraid it would mess with the warranty. He's even making sure we pay for that year-long customer service plan. Yeah, it probably isn't necessary but he's pretty cautious after what happened with my Media Center.
I'm still having trouble believing that my mom an dad are willing to spend this much money on me; yeah, it's for Christmas, but still. O_o I've told them I could chip in with the money I've collected but they're just fine with paying for it themselves.
Old October 24, 2007, 6:09 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Scary. Also, Apple would not include instructions on how to add memory in their basic user manual if it voided the warranty.
Old October 25, 2007, 7:56 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Reminds me fo the time my Mum got her iPod and got annoyed that there was no manual. Then i showed her the one which got installed on her PC
Old October 25, 2007, 2:09 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chris Britton View Post
Reminds me fo the time my Mum got her iPod and got annoyed that there was no manual. Then i showed her the one which got installed on her PC
Exactly. Why waste paper products?
Old October 25, 2007, 5:58 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Exactly! People expect things to be the same these days. Apple cares.

Man, i do love it when DS.com does Technobobble I know this might not come under technobobble. But this brings back memories
Old October 25, 2007, 6:00 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chris Britton View Post
Man, i do love it when DS.com does Technobobble I know this might not come under technobobble. But this brings back memories
What's technobobble? Is it where you bob your head to techno?

Or are you referring to technobabble?
Old October 25, 2007, 6:04 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

No, I do mean technobobble. Don't you remember Bob Davis always used to use it and as far as I can remember we always spelt it as Technobobble instead of Babble

It just always makes me grin when we talk technology on here
Old October 25, 2007, 7:05 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I just searched the site. The only person who has ever said "technobobble" has been you. Everyone else has always said "technobabble."
Old October 26, 2007, 4:54 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

damm! I swear it was technobobble. i concede to you.
Old October 26, 2007, 5:06 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

I watched the Leopard(which I watched come out!) preview yesterday. I'm really glad I waited.
I wonder if a replacable sound plays when you use Time Machine... I couldn't help but imagine TARDIS noises when he showed it.

I also found out that uTorrent doesn't have a mac version out yet, but Transmission looks pretty good.

I watched the Leopard countdown. It was fun, like newyears. I wish I could've been at a store to see it though.

Last edited by Superkid11; October 26, 2007 at 5:16 PM
Old October 26, 2007, 5:34 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I wonder if a replacable sound plays when you use Time Machine... I couldn't help but imagine TARDIS noises when he showed it.
I am working on replacing the icon and renaming it to TARDIS instead of Time Machine. I'll let you know how this goes.

I also found out that uTorrent doesn't have a mac version out yet, but Transmission looks pretty good.
Yup, Transmission's great. No need for uTorrent.

I watched the Leopard countdown. It was fun, like newyears. I wish I could've been at a store to see it though.
Haha, yeah, me too. Except I was running it 24 hours before it came out!
Old October 26, 2007, 7:45 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
I am working on replacing the icon and renaming it to TARDIS instead of Time Machine. I'll let you know how this goes.
Awesome, good luck with that.

Yup, Transmission's great. No need for uTorrent.
Ok, good. I read it wasn't quite as fast but if it works it works.

Haha, yeah, me too. Except I was running it 24 hours before it came out!
Woah, how'd you manage that?
How's it working out so far? Any bugs or anything? ... maybe you should post your experience of Leopard in a new topic.
Old October 26, 2007, 9:42 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Awesome, good luck with that.
Thanks!

Ok, good. I read it wasn't quite as fast but if it works it works.
Mmm... depends on a lot of things. Performance should be about equal, to be honest.

Woah, how'd you manage that?
How's it working out so far? Any bugs or anything? ... maybe you should post your experience of Leopard in a new topic.
Torrents, my friend. It leaked almost 48 hours ago.

It's working out great so far. Everything feels snappier than it did in Tiger and the new features are fantastic as well. I may post a review a little later on, but be warned: it may consist entirely of "OMFG LEOPARD OMFG OMFG OMFG IT'S SOOOO AWESOME *DROOOOOL* OMFG." And that sort of thing.
Old October 30, 2007, 2:19 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

I found out that there's an Apple Retail store at the Florida Mall. Apparently it is actually a reasonable distansce, around a half hour drive there. I'm going to pick up the iMac there the day I get it, I don't want to have to wait for it at home. Plus we can ask the guys at the Genius bar if adding RAM ourselves voids the warrenty, if only to put my dad's mind at ease.
Plus road trips are always fun.

... also, about Time Machine... does the External HD keep stuff that it has on it before it became the Time Machine HD? I have... things on it that it would suck if it all got wiped out.

Also, even though Macs are secure enough on their own for now, there's no way to tell if they'll stay that way. They are entering the mainstream a little more, so there's bound to be some viruses that can sneak past it. I'm gonna use this open source scanner called ClaimXav.

Last edited by Superkid11; October 30, 2007 at 2:22 PM
Old October 30, 2007, 3:14 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I found out that there's an Apple Retail store at the Florida Mall. Apparently it is actually a reasonable distansce, around a half hour drive there. I'm going to pick up the iMac there the day I get it, I don't want to have to wait for it at home. Plus we can ask the guys at the Genius bar if adding RAM ourselves voids the warrenty, if only to put my dad's mind at ease.
Plus road trips are always fun.
Indeed.

... also, about Time Machine... does the External HD keep stuff that it has on it before it became the Time Machine HD? I have... things on it that it would suck if it all got wiped out.
In my opinion, you should have a dedicated Time Machine backup hard drive. However the answer to your question is no, Time Machine does not require exclusive access to the drive. Until I can buy a new hard drive, I am using my 320 GB data drive to double as a Time Machine backup drive. So no, it will not erase any existing content. However I would again like to stress that you should consider getting a dedicated drive for Time Machine at some point soon, if you can.

Also, even though Macs are secure enough on their own for now, there's no way to tell if they'll stay that way. They are entering the mainstream a little more, so there's bound to be some viruses that can sneak past it. I'm gonna use this open source scanner called ClaimXav.
It's not just due to market share -- it's also due to the Unix underpinnings of the OS. It will remain much more stable and secure than Windows for a long time to come. I definitely think any kind of antivirus software is dramatic overkill, but good luck with it anyway.
Old October 30, 2007, 5:59 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

Indeed.

In my opinion, you should have a dedicated Time Machine backup hard drive. However the answer to your question is no, Time Machine does not require exclusive access to the drive. Until I can buy a new hard drive, I am using my 320 GB data drive to double as a Time Machine backup drive. So no, it will not erase any existing content. However I would again like to stress that you should consider getting a dedicated drive for Time Machine at some point soon, if you can.

It's not just due to market share -- it's also due to the Unix underpinnings of the OS. It will remain much more stable and secure than Windows for a long time to come. I definitely think any kind of antivirus software is dramatic overkill, but good luck with it anyway.
Ah, but does it have its own virus scanner? That's the difference, from what I can see it stops viruses from getting in but if one manages to how can you detect it without a scanner without just letting it do whatever it's supposed to do?

I'll do that. Speaking of Time Machine, how goes modifying it into TARDIS?
Old October 30, 2007, 6:59 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Ah, but does it have its own virus scanner? That's the difference, from what I can see it stops viruses from getting in but if one manages to how can you detect it without a scanner without just letting it do whatever it's supposed to do?
I don't think you understand how viruses work. Viruses are essentially just small applications. 99.99% of viruses are written for Windows (and the other 0.01% are not written for Mac), and for the same reason you can't just double-click MSPAINT.EXE on a Mac and expect it to run, no Windows viruses will run on a Mac either. You could collect 1000 of the most deadly and devastating Windows viruses ever created and try to run them on your Mac. What would happen? Absolutely nothing.

I suggest you read this article. It sums it up nicely:
http://news.digitaltrends.com/featured_article79.html

(NOTE: Ignore the part that says "since Apple doesn't offer an Excel-compatible spreadsheet application." Apple now offers one as of two months ago, a month or so after this article was written.)

I'll do that. Speaking of Time Machine, how goes modifying it into TARDIS?
I got as far as renaming the application itself from Time Machine to TARDIS. It appeared to still work at this point, but I got cold feet and decided I didn't want to risk breaking the OS just to be cute.

However if someone can find me a 512x512 TARDIS icon...
Old November 2, 2007, 10:07 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

But one day there will be viruses written for Mac, and I'm gonna be ready.
(that and I want to be able to check files I'm sending to windows-using freinds or something)

I've decided with my parents to go down to the apple store at the Florida Mall and buy the precious on the 20th. Now I must make the 20" vs 24" decision in that much time and get all my files ready and get Adobe CS3 and I'm pretty much there. ... are there any other benefits to the 24" than the screen size and speakers? I'm used to a 16" square screen so this'll be quite a change.
Is the RAM overpriced at the retail stores too?

Last edited by Superkid11; November 2, 2007 at 10:31 PM