DannyStewart.com Forums

Go Back   DannyStewart.com Forums > General Discussion > Creative Corner

Closed Thread

Old December 17, 2006, 12:46 PM
Jez (Offline)
Snizzel ma Wizzel

Doctor Who Theme Remix

Ok, I decided to do a second remix of the Doctor Who theme. This is a lot less loosely based on the original than my other remix (which has never been released - nor completed for that matter ).

Pulse of Orion - Doctor Who Theme (Concept Mix)

Understand that this is just a concept mix at the moment. The levels need sorting out (especially the terrible distortion in one of the bass synths), some instruments need replacing, effects need to be applied where suitable and rendering errors need to be corrected. I also need to give the track an ending, as well as fiddling with the percussion.

In other words, it isn't the finished product. Infact, it's only an hour and a half's worth of work. It might completely change from this version to the next. I just wanted to get some opinions on it at this early stage.

He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt him it was really quite hypnotic.

*Officially the most likeable person since the last one*
Old December 17, 2006, 2:21 PM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

it's different, originality is always good (when done correctly). So far, so good. Timing's out a bit, the melody is a bit out of time with the bassline. But great sounds, just a little more oomph and and fixing the bassline and you've got yourself a great track.
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!

Last edited by Ben Dawson; December 17, 2006 at 2:24 PM
Old December 17, 2006, 2:43 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I noticed the same thing about the timing being off, but I like your soundset. Needs a bit more variety, and also the second melody section (which is noticeably absent). Other than that, it's shaping up pretty well.
Old December 17, 2006, 5:30 PM
Jez (Offline)
Snizzel ma Wizzel

My original plan was not to include the second half of the melody. Partly because of laziness (although I have done it in my first remix so I can't be that lazy!) and partly because it's a remix, rather than a recreation. If I feel it will add something significant to the track without making it too much of the same, I might consider adding it.

The lack of timing on the melody was intentional but it might revert to the standard degree timing, depending on how it goes. Chances are, it will anyway.

The deep bass synth is becoming a bit of a problem. It'll take a lot of fiddling to make it noticeable without it just turning it into a big tub of mud.

I've created a new synth for the bridge section and I'm still working around with the synth on the melody. Trying to find whatever sounds best.

I'll post a new version when it's complete (it could be tomorrow, it could be next weekend, or it could be next year (less likely)). Thanks for the comments so far!

He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt him it was really quite hypnotic.

Old December 18, 2006, 9:45 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

You're welcome, Jez! Hope they're helpful. Try putting your bass through a multiband compressor -- that might help.
Old February 18, 2007, 3:36 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Your new site reminded me of this. Any progress?
Old February 18, 2007, 4:54 PM
Jez (Offline)
Snizzel ma Wizzel

I can't remember! I think I did a little but nothing substantial. Actually, I'm not sure where I saved the project file (my folders are a bit of a mess, especially with all the versions of the Oblivion remix saves!)

I'll take a look.

--------------------

Edit: I've found it. There have been some changes but not much in the way of progression. The timing is, as far as I can tell, correct (put it this way, it's how I like it). The second part of the melody has now been included. Unfortunately, I haven't done anything to the bass with regards to it's finished sound yet so it still sounds like a cross between a cat purring loudly and a Harley!

Link to Version 4

I've kinda lost my love for the Doctor Who theme for the moment so you might have to wait until series 3 before I get in the right place again. We'll just have to see how it goes.

Last edited by Jez; February 18, 2007 at 5:21 PM
Old February 18, 2007, 6:02 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Aha! Very cool, Jez, thanks for that. That's a nice step up from your original version. It deserves more work, but I like it better already. Let's hope you find your love for the Doctor Who theme again soon...
Closed Thread