2/10 - Horrible 0 0%
1/10 - Unwatchable 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 13, 2008, 2:34 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

Originally Posted by Ben Dawson View Post
The Ood episode is set before "The Impossible Planet", and features their origin, so their planet probably is gone, but that's the magic of time travel.
But the episode is called Planet Of the Ood
Old April 13, 2008, 2:58 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jamie Minty View Post
Glad to hear you don't think its shit!
I think you're missing my point. It's obvious that The Fires of Pompeii wasn't shit -- it's proper Doctor Who. A bit of scariness, a moral dilemma, something to make you think. My point is that it should come as no surprise to you that I enjoyed The Fires of Pompeii, because it didn't suck. Partners in Crime, on the other hand, was an affront to Doctor Who.

But the episode is called Planet Of the Ood
What is it with point-missing today? He's saying from the perspective of The Impossible Planet (meaning that being the present), the Ood home planet is gone. In Planet of the Ood, it takes place prior to the events of The Impossible Planet, so their planet is still around.
Old April 13, 2008, 3:40 PM
stutomo (Offline)

Thank you Danny for not giving up yet. Glad you liked this episode. Think you may have overreacted after not enjoying last weeks. (But I could be thinking wrong.)

When does it say "She's coming back"? I missed it on first viewing. I'll watch it back sometime this week.

RIP Dalek Fred

Old April 13, 2008, 4:36 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by stutomo View Post
Thank you Danny for not giving up yet. Glad you liked this episode. Think you may have overreacted after not enjoying last weeks. (But I could be thinking wrong.)
It was far more than "not enjoying" it. I found it disgusting and insulting, and I don't think giving up on the show entirely would have been that much of an overreaction. I love Doctor Who too much to watch this sort of thing done to it. But then I wouldn't be giving other, more talented writers a chance (like James Moran), who demonstrate that people can still do proper Doctor Who if they try. It's only Russell T Davies who I'm done with.

When does it say "She's coming back"? I missed it on first viewing. I'll watch it back sometime this week.
Lucius says it to the Doctor, shortly after his "Man from Gallifrey" bit.
Old April 13, 2008, 4:43 PM
stutomo (Offline)

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
Lucius says it to the Doctor, shortly after his "Man from Gallifrey" bit.
Thanks for that. I'm about to watch it again.

RIP Dalek Fred

Old April 13, 2008, 4:45 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Thanks for that. I'm about to watch it again.
Enjoy. I've seen it three times already, with more to come throughout the week.
Old April 13, 2008, 4:52 PM
Kody (Offline)
Admin

Alright, possibly call me late to the party if everyone else noticed this before me, but..

After watching it again to great enjoyment, I noticed how the whole little bit with the high priestess was pretty much copy and paste from the first episode.

They lost their home planet, just lost it.

The dialogue was almost the same in PiC if I remember correctly.

Is this some subtle story arc? Planets are vanishing?

"What's the point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes?" - The Fourth Doctor
Old April 13, 2008, 4:58 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

I think you're missing my point. It's obvious that The Fires of Pompeii wasn't shit -- it's proper Doctor Who. A bit of scariness, a moral dilemma, something to make you think. My point is that it should come as no surprise to you that I enjoyed The Fires of Pompeii, because it didn't suck. Partners in Crime, on the other hand, was an affront to Doctor Who.
Well theres plenty of people on the OG forums who hated it. I thought that you might hate the Water Pistol and Celtic bit. And therefore rate down the episode!

What is it with point-missing today? He's saying from the perspective of The Impossible Planet (meaning that being the present), the Ood home planet is gone. In Planet of the Ood, it takes place prior to the events of The Impossible Planet, so their planet is still around.
Oh I didn't know he meant it like that! Is their planet gone in Impossible Planet or is it just an assumption?
Old April 13, 2008, 4:59 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

Originally Posted by Larren View Post
Alright, possibly call me late to the party if everyone else noticed this before me, but..

After watching it again to great enjoyment, I noticed how the whole little bit with the high priestess was pretty much copy and paste from the first episode.

They lost their home planet, just lost it.

The dialogue was almost the same in PiC if I remember correctly.

Is this some subtle story arc? Planets are vanishing?
Possibly but the Shadow Proclamation is mentioned again so maybe there is a link between them!
Old April 13, 2008, 7:01 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Well theres plenty of people on the OG forums who hated it. I thought that you might hate the Water Pistol and Celtic bit. And therefore rate down the episode!
Don't make assumptions about people's opinions. The Celtic thing didn't bother me at all, and I adored the water pistol stuff. Very in keeping with the old series.

Oh I didn't know he meant it like that! Is their planet gone in Impossible Planet or is it just an assumption?
I believe it's just an assumption, but to be honest I haven't watched it lately enough to recall.

Originally Posted by Larren View Post
After watching it again to great enjoyment, I noticed how the whole little bit with the high priestess was pretty much copy and paste from the first episode. They lost their home planet, just lost it. The dialogue was almost the same in PiC if I remember correctly. Is this some subtle story arc? Planets are vanishing?
Frankly I didn't notice this until it was pointed out to me, and I've watched it three times. I think it was someone here who accused them of being annoyingly obvious about this clear "planets vanishing" storyline, and while the new series has certainly used the sledgehammer treatment before on ongoing story arcs (Bad Wolf for instance), I think they're being subtle enough if I didn't notice it on my own after three viewings. I'm curious enough to see more, and I certainly don't feel like I'm having this rammed down my throat -- at least not yet. Admittedly it took most of series two for Torchwood to get annoying and until "Bad Wolf" to feel that way about the first series. So let's just see where they go with it.
Old April 14, 2008, 5:45 AM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

Just as it comes to the brink of disaster, somebody else pulls it off from the edge.
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!
Old April 14, 2008, 10:41 AM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

Don't make assumptions about people's opinions. The Celtic thing didn't bother me at all, and I adored the water pistol stuff. Very in keeping with the old series.
The Water Pistol seemed very silly to me (but I liked it) and I thought it was something that Classic fans would pick up on and not like (I've seen a few who have).
I just said I'm pleased to hear you liked it! Is that a bad thing?

I believe it's just an assumption, but to be honest I haven't watched it lately enough to recall.
Maybe in Planet of the Ood we will see the planet disappear ... just a thought.
Old April 14, 2008, 10:48 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

The Water Pistol seemed very silly to me (but I liked it) and I thought it was something that Classic fans would pick up on and not like (I've seen a few who have).
It wasn't silly at all. The Doctor is known to have random stuff in his pockets at all times. That's actually something that's been annoying me about the new series -- nowhere near enough random crap in the Doctor's pockets. In "The End of the World" when he was asked to provide a gift, he felt through his pockets and had nothing. That just annoyed me. Nice to see the random crap being brought back. A fully loaded water pistol seems perfectly in keeping with that idea.

I just said I'm pleased to hear you liked it! Is that a bad thing?
Not really. It was more the whole assumption about me not liking it thing which was such a bad thing.

Maybe in Planet of the Ood we will see the planet disappear ... just a thought.
Maybe.
Old April 14, 2008, 11:30 AM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Rather good show this week! 9/10

Old April 14, 2008, 12:24 PM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

What would be even more random would be one of those trick camera that shoot water.
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!
Old April 14, 2008, 12:25 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

There is still a lot of work to be done on the series, like getting rid of RTD, but this episode was definately a great step in the right direction. This weeks should be fantastic. I've bumped my grade for this up upon watching the episode again. I paid mroe attention, kudos going to the moral dilemmas The Doctor and Donna go through during the whole episode.
Old April 14, 2008, 1:21 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

It wasn't silly at all. The Doctor is known to have random stuff in his pockets at all times. That's actually something that's been annoying me about the new series -- nowhere near enough random crap in the Doctor's pockets. In "The End of the World" when he was asked to provide a gift, he felt through his pockets and had nothing. That just annoyed me. Nice to see the random crap being brought back. A fully loaded water pistol seems perfectly in keeping with that idea.

Not really. It was more the whole assumption about me not liking it thing which was such a bad thing.

Well I did think that the Water Pistol might be a bit Tom Baker-ish. What other stuff has the Doctor had in his pockets. There could be a list somewhere ... anyway I know about the jellybabies and of course the celery stick!

I'll make sure I assume no more because if you assume you make ... well you all know it
Old April 14, 2008, 1:23 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

Now he just needs to pull some Jelly Babies again and it'll be perfect.
Old April 14, 2008, 1:39 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

Originally Posted by Superkid11 View Post
Now he just needs to pull some Jelly Babies again and it'll be perfect.
He can't. The Master stole them!
Old April 14, 2008, 1:48 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

He can't. The Master stole them!
He could have easily taken them back at the end of LoTL.
Closed Thread