2/10 - Horrible 0 0%
1/10 - Unwatchable 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 12, 2008, 3:04 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Doctor Who 4x02 - "The Fires of Pompeii"

Yes, I lied. I'll still do the episode threads.

"The Fires of Pompeii" by James Moran
The Doctor and Donna arrive in Pompeii the day before Vesuvius is due to erupt, where the sale of the TARDIS by a street-seller leads them to discover a far greater danger lurking under the city.
Old April 12, 2008, 3:22 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

I have got to say that was 10/10

I think it might be better for me to vote after the Series has finished because now I'd rate PiC 5 or 6 out of 10. And if a better story than this comes up my vote will be wrong.

Catherine Tate was amazing (n of the best companion sequences we have ever seen) and The Mill just blew me away.

A great story for The Doctor and Donna, looking into the Doctor's story and how he copes with Gallifrey and how Donna affects in such a different way to everyone else. I think Rose and Martha would argue in the TARDIS like Donna but not as emotionally!

And I had no idea that was the high priestess when I saw her in the trailer!

I'm pretty sure Danny will like it, the only bits you won't like will be RTD's fault (he confessed in confidential that the gags were his)
Old April 12, 2008, 3:51 PM
MickJo (Offline)

8/10

Solid episode with an important moral dilemma executed well with great performances from Tennant and Tate. The CGI was spectacular as well.

'She is returning', yes we know. We saw her last week.
Old April 12, 2008, 4:01 PM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

I have to say, this weeks episode was a thousand times better than last weeks. Such a strong cast, and reasonably well written too. I think the scene towards the end will be a true testiment to the Doctor's and Donna's friendship. Ood-mania starts next week with the 2 parter, from the trailer it looks alright, though I still dislike the name "Ood"...but then, RTD came up with it, so pretty standard really.
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!
Old April 12, 2008, 4:12 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

I give this a 5. It was an improvement over last weeks tripe but there were still some parts which really broke the suspension of disbelief and did ruin the episode. How a couple of small bits of water managed to kill such a huge creature was simply stupid. I know it was rock and fire and they are both weak, but surely more water was required. Plus the Doctor Wielding a Water Pistol?! A very poor gag, effective at escaping but really could have been done so much better, and the idea of the Doctor and Donna being worshipped as Gods just sounds utterly stupid and could at least have been set up beforehand. The plot was poorly written out, just too clunky and was really not smooth. PLus it is me or does the CGI appear to be of a lower quality this series? It really just does not fit into the general scenes as well as it can. Plus the whole idea of the Doctor actually being the cause of the eruption was just out of character for him i feel. it worked much better if it maintained that he was simply powerless to do anything except flee, which is what he did, but the idea of him being a catalyst was the straw which broke the camels back. The fact Romans had idea of Volcanos was also historically inaccurate. The priestesses were just too shallow and over the top, no substance to them at all.

That said it was more more darker and grittier and once again Tate and Tennant do well with what they had, it did give a good view into how The Doctor is forced to live his life and also shows off his kinder side, as well as showing how noble Donna is. The monsters were much more of what should be expected and it was kind creeping seeing those people being turned to stone, very medusa-esque. Yet it still does nto feel like what Doctor Who should be.

But still, given how good the Ood were back in series 2. I am sure next weeks episode will be quite good. the Ood were always creepy and there was never a need to explain why. It should be good, plus it;s on another planet for once.
Old April 12, 2008, 4:17 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

I thought the CGI was at its best yet! I personally find the CGi daleks irritating as they look wrong.

Water Pistol was silly but I just ignored it. If he didn't do that he'd just use some bottles or something which would slow down the story.

And Ben the Ood episode is 1 episode not 2. The Sontaran one that follows is 2 parts though!
Old April 12, 2008, 4:22 PM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

Originally Posted by Jamie Minty View Post
And Ben the Ood episode is 1 episode not 2. The Sontaran one that follows is 2 parts though!
Ah right, thanks for that .
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!
Old April 12, 2008, 5:04 PM
Jez (Offline)
Snizzel ma Wizzel

Best episode of the series yet......hmmm

Great cast, good story, etc. 'Twas good, that's all.

He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt him it was really quite hypnotic.

*Officially the most likeable person since the last one*
Old April 12, 2008, 10:15 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

What the bleeding heck? How do we go from "Partners in Crime" one week, which completely destroyed my faith in the new series of Doctor Who, to "The Fires of Pompeii" the next, which is one of the best episodes this entire series has ever presented? I just don't know. This ranks up there with Moffat's episodes, though, that's for sure. Very strong 9/10 from me -- I had to restrain myself from giving it a perfect 10.
Old April 12, 2008, 10:37 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

Kind of like how we went from a great episode in The Sound of Drums to the horrific Last of the Time Lords?

I haven't even seen Partners in Crime yet. Gonna go download this now.
Old April 12, 2008, 10:37 PM
James P. (Offline)
Uh oh!

Hmm, I actually planned a story about this same event when I was in 6th grade! It was called Pompeii's Last Days and since I was still a n00b to the Whoniverse, it had Julius Caesar's birthday being held on Pompeii the eve before the eruption. The Master working with mute Cybermen to make Vesuvius erupt. And a dockworker named Raoul who somehow got into the locked TARDIS and stowed away like Adric did.

Yeah, utterly n00bish, eh?

This sounds really good. I'll watch it soon on YouTube.

My $0.02,
James

Due to the fact all of you except Keff McCulloch, Danny Stewart, Recurring Villain, and a few others don't know how to be nice, I am leaving. The only reason I've stayed as long as I have is Danny's great mixes. As soon as I can, you will be reported to THE FBI.

Have a nice day,
James P. Quick
Old April 12, 2008, 11:42 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Superkid11 View Post
Kind of like how we went from a great episode in The Sound of Drums to the horrific Last of the Time Lords?
Not really. The Sound of Drums wasn't a truly stunning work of art -- it was passable at best. This, however, is.

Originally Posted by Superkid11 View Post
I haven't even seen Partners in Crime yet. Gonna go download this now.
Watch Partners in Crime first. It will make The Fires of Pompeii seem even better, and you certainly don't want to save Partners in Crime for later.

Originally Posted by TheFatalityThatIsDeath View Post
Yeah, utterly n00bish, eh?
Pretty much.
Old April 13, 2008, 1:19 AM
Kody (Offline)
Admin

Such an improvement over last weeks episode, they don't even bare comparing.

CGI was great, the monster design was awesome as well, props to the mill.

Loved the story, combined with Tennant and Tate's acting.. top notch. Moral dellimas, revelations, talk about the flow of time and all that good stuff.

"She's coming back" - or whatever it was, cleary pertains to his daughter, I assume?

Not sure what he meant about something on Donna's back though.

The few ''gags" even made me laugh properly, despite the arguments about the water pistol ,it just seemed.. Doctor-ish. (I was listening to a Big Finish today with 7th playing spoons though and that also made me grin madly.)

I'm going to re-watch this on the big screen, really feels like proper Who for some reason and it was VERY enjoyable.

Only quibble for me this week is the damn bit at the end. Making them both into household gods. Saw it coming a mile away and earned a small groan from me, but eh. I'll take that over last weeks problems.

"What's the point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes?" - The Fourth Doctor
Old April 13, 2008, 1:23 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Larren View Post
Such an improvement over last weeks episode, they don't even bare comparing.

CGI was great, the monster design was awesome as well, props to the mill.

Loved the story, combined with Tennant and Tate's acting.. top notch. Moral dellimas, revelations, talk about the flow of time and all that good stuff.
Wholeheartedly agreed.

"She's coming back" - or whatever it was, cleary pertains to his daughter, I assume?
I didn't notice it on the first viewing, but on the second viewing I took it to mean Rose. Might be his daughter though -- interesting thought.

Not sure what he meant about something on Donna's back though.
Me neither. I imagine it references something though.

The few ''gags" even made me laugh properly, despite the arguments about the water pistol ,it just seemed.. Doctor-ish. (I was listening to a Big Finish today with 7th playing spoons though and that also made me grin madly.)
I agree completely. I loved the water pistol.

I'm going to re-watch this on the big screen, really feels like proper Who for some reason and it was VERY enjoyable.
Same here!

Only quibble for me this week is the damn bit at the end. Making them both into household gods. Saw it coming a mile away and earned a small groan from me, but eh. I'll take that over last weeks problems.
Frankly, while that was a wee bit silly, I don't think that would have been terribly out of place on the old series either, if you think about it, so it didn't really bother me at all.
Old April 13, 2008, 4:56 AM
Jez (Offline)
Snizzel ma Wizzel

Waterpistol ftw.

He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt him it was really quite hypnotic.

*Officially the most likeable person since the last one*
Old April 13, 2008, 11:11 AM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

I reckon that "She's coming back" is supposed to mean Rose, and "Donna's got something on her back" is to mean that she's got some sort of competition, 'cos of how many people are going to be returning later in the series.
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!
Old April 13, 2008, 12:06 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

Glad to hear Danny liked it. I'm saving my rating until the Series is finished so there all fair. I gave PiC a 9 which I really should not have.

She's coming back = Rose

And "Theres Something on your back" is a line from a later episode (it was overheard on a night shoot by the people who do set reports on OG)

So we heard The Shadow Proclamation again and there was another Missing Planet. I thought there was meant to be a subtle arc this Series.

A little thing from each episode ... mind you the Ood's planet hasn't gone obviously!
Old April 13, 2008, 12:08 PM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

The Ood episode is set before "The Impossible Planet", and features their origin, so their planet probably is gone, but that's the magic of time travel.
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!
Old April 13, 2008, 1:59 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jamie Minty View Post
Glad to hear Danny liked it.
You know, it's generally pretty easy for me to like things that aren't shit.
Old April 13, 2008, 2:33 PM
Jamie Minty (Offline)
Why?? So?? Serious??

Glad to hear you don't think its shit!