1/10 - Unwatchable 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 26, 2006, 3:05 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Doctor Who 3x00 - "The Runaway Bride"

Plot Summary
When bride-to-be Donna Noble mysteriously (and impatiently) arrives in the TARDIS, the Doctor is drawn into a plot involving an ancient enemy and the very creation of the Earth itself...

Episode written by Russell T. Davies
Old December 26, 2006, 8:05 AM
Recurring Villain (Offline)
biggus dickus

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
...ancient enemy and the very creation of the Earth itself...
That could end up really cool except for the annoying bride and:

Episode written by Russell T. Davies
(Haven't seen it, I should download it.)

Not at all benevolent dictator and I don't need to sign my posts cause my name is up there at the top.
Old December 26, 2006, 9:05 AM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

it was good, if not a little flawed. For one thing, the Tardis doors were never supposed to be able to be opened when in flight, especially in space or when traveling throungh the Time Vortex. Plus, at the end, when the Tardis dematerealised, it didn't just dematerealised but blasted into space like a rocket from the ground, THAT ISN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN. It happen only once, in a Doctor Who annual in the 60's where the writters didn't know anything about Doctor Who and actually had him referred as "Doctor Who". I'm worried in case they take that up permanently, because that would be really wrong, it's the Tardis, it's supposed to dissappear, not take off.
It was a little flawed, and that really bugged me, great story lines but because of the contradicting flaws involving the Tardis. Also, Donna was really quite grating to begin with (but mellowed a little bit over time).
After those little pet peeves, I would have to gave it an 8/10.
And Danny, no, the theme at the end wasn't completely orchestral, your beloved Derbyshire Elements were still in there, the trailer for the next season was longer than normal, in fact, it was so much longer that the theme had to almost loop itself. It looks like the next season is going to be a lot darker, and the Daleks are definitely gonna be back, seeing as the trailer ended with a shot of Dalek Sec.
The Doctor seems a lot darker at the minute (a darker Doctor, brilliant), I hope it keeps up, but at the same, I hope he doesn't become a dark horse, I don't want a depressed and quiet Doctor, he should still be able to crack a smile and have a laugh. But it would be great to have him darker in character, he was quite murderous in The Runaway Bride. He killed thousands of alien Spider babies. Recently Captain Jack mercilessly killed an alien and someone said that his actions were quiet like the Doctor's, I disagreed and said that if he could find another way then he would, but he quite easily decided to kill the Racnos (is that how you spell it), maybe he will end up being the Valeyard, at this rate. He's definitely changing, we'll just have to se how it turns out, but it has me interested.
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!

Last edited by Ben Dawson; December 26, 2006 at 9:34 AM
Old December 26, 2006, 9:21 AM
biggus dickus

I probably should avoid this topic as I don't want to see any spoilers.

I knew Russel couldn't do an episode without messing something up though

Not at all benevolent dictator and I don't need to sign my posts cause my name is up there at the top.
Old December 26, 2006, 9:36 AM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

The Tardis take off thing at the end ticked me off a bit, did it irritate anyone else?
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!
Old December 26, 2006, 11:16 AM
MI7 (Offline)
Pex Lives

Originally Posted by Ben Dawson View Post
The Tardis take off thing at the end ticked me off a bit, did it irritate anyone else?
1) We have no idea whether he was flying to another point on Earth instead of using the Time Vortex, in which case the ship would fly rather than dematerialise into the Vortex.

2) We didn't see the Doctor again after this, we have no idea what happened, and even if it was supposed to happen. It could be a setup for the start of Series Three.

So no, it didn't irritate me.

The TARDIS doors have only been shown to be opened with negative effects when the ship is in the Vortex, due to the aging Time Winds present in there, and also shrinking the crew to minature size when the doors were opened in flight in Planet of the Giants. In Enemy of the World, all that happened was rapid decompression. There has never been any evidence to say that they shouldn't ever be opened. And also, condisering the Time War taking place between the Classic series and the Current series, not to mention the numerous cosmetic changes the TARDIS has underwent, there is no reason that there shouldn't have been some sort of shield added.

The theme at the end was the same as used in Series Two/The Christmas Invasion, which was disappointing.
Old December 26, 2006, 11:47 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

it was good, if not a little flawed. For one thing, the Tardis doors were never supposed to be able to be opened when in flight, especially in space or when traveling throungh the Time Vortex.
Tom responded well to this above. It's obvious they added a forcefield. Makes sense really, especially now that the doors can be opened by hand instead of using a control on the console.

Plus, at the end, when the Tardis dematerealised, it didn't just dematerealised but blasted into space like a rocket from the ground, THAT ISN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN. It happen only once, in a Doctor Who annual in the 60's where the writters didn't know anything about Doctor Who and actually had him referred as "Doctor Who". I'm worried in case they take that up permanently, because that would be really wrong, it's the Tardis, it's supposed to dissappear, not take off.
Oh, come on. The Doctor was just having a bit of fun and showing off to Donna.

And Danny, no, the theme at the end wasn't completely orchestral, your beloved Derbyshire Elements were still in there, the trailer for the next season was longer than normal, in fact, it was so much longer that the theme had to almost loop itself. It looks like the next season is going to be a lot darker, and the Daleks are definitely gonna be back, seeing as the trailer ended with a shot of Dalek Sec.
Well yeah, it wasn't completely orchestrated because as Tom said it was the TCI theme and not a new arrangement. (And also they did loop the theme, not almost looped it.)

Originally Posted by MI7 View Post
The theme at the end was the same as used in Series Two/The Christmas Invasion, which was disappointing.
Indeed so. I had good reason to expect a new theme... I almost think the production team accidentally dubbed the wrong version at the last moment.
Old December 26, 2006, 11:55 AM
MI7 (Offline)
Pex Lives

I almost think the production team accidentally dubbed the wrong version at the last moment.
I agree, especially as the theme heard in the pre-broadcast trailers was clearly a new arrangement...those incompetent BBC editors .

And I guess technically you could say that the theme was almost looped, as they did a very shoddy edit during the actual trailer to omit the bridge section, then restarted the theme from Melody 2 during the credits. So it wasn't a complete loop .
Old December 26, 2006, 12:33 PM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

I meant they almost looped it to the beginning, as for the Tardis, I suppose it does make logical sense with the force field. But I'm kinda old fashioned about that and think it should still have two doors instead of just the one (originally, there were two doors to go through to exit or enter the Tardis, an exterior and an interior door, it was like that because of the different dimensions) and still be opened by the lever on the console.
Is it just me or does the Doctor seem to be a bit careless with the Tardis lately, he doesn't seem to care if people see it (I can forgive the motorway incident because of the situation), but there was really no need for that bit at the end (unless the Tardis was being transported somewhere) and loads of people could have seen it rocket up into outer space (even at Christmas).
The Tardis has been seen to dematerealise, enter the Time Vortex and land in the same period of time on the same planet. Although if that were so and seeing as the Tardis has the ability to travel outside of the vortex it would seem logical to have done that all the time instead of entering the Vortex and risk ending up at a different time (or planet), we all know what the Tardis is like.
To me, it still seems a little flawed, but that's just my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, I just thought a little more thought on that would have made it better. They should hire me as an advisor, then the show gets cancelled because it's too much like the classic series cos the kids all hate it.
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!

Last edited by Ben Dawson; December 26, 2006 at 12:38 PM
Old December 26, 2006, 1:53 PM
Jez (Offline)
Snizzel ma Wizzel

Like the Doctor said, "For a spaceship, she doesn't do much flying". I figure that he's going to make it fly some more, just for the hell of it. It was good to see the tardis a lot more than we normally do.

It was a good episode. And it's good to see him being less merciful. Remember, he's just "lost" Rose; he's sad and he's pissed off - he's going to kill for a while.

He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt him it was really quite hypnotic.

*Officially the most likeable person since the last one*
Old December 26, 2006, 3:13 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

I thought it was really good, although I seem to have inadvertantly voted higher than everyone else, thinking there would be some 10s.

As for some of those complaint I see(). I think the thing where the TARDIS shoots up into the air was just the Doctor adding a little flourish to the whole disappearing act. id imagine there's not a "show off" button on the TARDIS console so id expect he wont be doing that so often, if ever again.

Old December 26, 2006, 4:34 PM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

I suppose so, but still, I'm sticking with my vote
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!
Old December 26, 2006, 9:12 PM
biggus dickus

Originally Posted by Ross Hendrie View Post
id imagine there's not a "show off" button on the TARDIS console
He forgot you close the doors by hand, went to pull the lever out of habit, and ended up looking all the more silly.

I'll download it tomorrow.

Old December 30, 2006, 11:22 AM
MI7 (Offline)
Pex Lives

As you've noticed the editors tweaked the arrangement of the theme ever so slightly to go over the extended trailers - nothing worthwhile but it's interesting to have a clean copy anyway. I made an attempt at it (if I'm allowed to say so I think I made a better job at the edit to remove the bridge than they did ):

The Runaway Bride - Rearranged Series Two Theme

Last edited by MI7; December 30, 2006 at 12:26 PM
Old January 29, 2007, 11:30 AM
robertbeare

Dr Who - The runaway Bride

I was wondering what everyone thought of the Xmas special of doctor who the runaway bride . Firstly i thought it was awesome !
Old January 29, 2007, 12:00 PM
Jez (Offline)
Snizzel ma Wizzel

It was good, but may I direct thee to:

http://www.dannystewart.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=8134 - Episode Poll

He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt him it was really quite hypnotic.

Old January 29, 2007, 1:27 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Thank you, Jez. Rob, please check for existing threads before posting a new one so as to cut down on clutter. Don't worry about it this time... I've merged it.
Old January 29, 2007, 2:56 PM
Jez (Offline)
Snizzel ma Wizzel

It's easy to miss threads in a forum as busy as this too.

Old April 21, 2007, 8:02 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

My personal reveiw of Runaway Bride.

The topic closed in episode discussions and we regular member folk can't post them, so I need to post this here. (Well not NEED... but I feel the urge to talk about it. Feel free to close)

It was absolutely fantastic. Yeah, Donna was annoying but that strikes me as C. Tate's specialty. The entire episode was captivating. My favorite parts... were probably "... and you have never been so quiet", the part where the Earth was in its infancy(my god it was beautiful), and when the Rachnos were being drowned by the Doctor. I love that "you brought this on yourself" attitude.
The part where the TARDIS took off into the sky was pretty startling, but it looked cool. I DID expect it to do that(I read about it) but it still startled me. It looked like it was going to fade like always then WHOOM!

Better yet, when we finished watching my parents changed their minds about the torrenting... so we won't stop at Gridlock. So yeah, I feel fantastic right now.
Anyway, go ahead and close this if you want. I just had to put out my review cause I didn't get the chance to before.
Old April 21, 2007, 8:14 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I've reopened the Runaway Bride thread just for you, where your review can thrive.
Closed Thread