DannyStewart.com Forums

Go Back   DannyStewart.com Forums > General Discussion > Entertainment World

Old April 29, 2006, 5:01 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

I know that. Although finding out what happened after Rimmer kneed Death in the balls is an itnerst of mine, one day i will find out
Old April 29, 2006, 9:17 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

If you say so, Chris. Let's try to stay on topic here.
Old April 30, 2006, 5:50 AM
Bajoran Rogue (Offline)

Oh frack no, not more Star Trek. What that franchise needs done is to be treated like nuclear waste; bury it and leave it alone for a few years so all the bad stuff can die away.

There was a sci-fi comedy being shown on BBC Two a few months back, and if you were to watch that expecting a serious sci-fi show you'd be better pleased with the results than with Enterprise.

My point is there is too much bad stuff associated with Star Trek now, and that's not going to die away just because there is a new film coming which might be good. Sure B&B are gone, but it'll probably just be the obsesive fans who care about that, and it'll only be the obsesive fans who will give the new movie a chance. Everyone else probably won't waste their money on it and so Star Trek will die anyway.

What I think Star Trek will turn into is some kind of disfigured dinosaur on a life support machine; in which case the best thing to do is to turn off the life support machine, that is Paramount should stop all of these attempts to keep it alive. If it lives, then it will be living without any support from Paramount and hopefully will bring back enough of a following that it will be worthwhile Paramount doing a decent job of Star Trek. If it dies, then it saves Paramount hurting the fans of Star Trek with more rubbish.

[EDIT] That was just my reaction after hearing that there would be another Star Trek film, after reading what it would be about in the articles my reaction is now as follows: Paramount, what the **** do you think you're doing? You want to kill Star Trek just turn off the life support machine, there no need to rape it, mutilate it, fire a machine gun at it then rape what ever's left again. Younger versions of Kirk and Spock? How many other people here can see that they're just seeing how much money they can squeeze out of Star Trek's past?

Last edited by Bajoran Rogue; April 30, 2006 at 6:01 AM
Old April 30, 2006, 11:47 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

In most respects i agree with you Rogue, although not as harshly you have summed up my fears.

About the the other Sci Fi show, that was Hyperdrive, I only saw it once, but it was just awful, it was ment to be a comedy but there was nothing like that there, it was just awful more of a cheap rip off of Red Dwarf, I would have rather watched Enterprise.

As i said above, they should do what they did with TOS, let it sleep for a few years to shed it's bad appearence, and allow time for new ideas to fester and appeear. I can understand them wanting to keep it going, since i would hate for it to die, but in all fairness, the movie might be a bad idea, then again it could be a blessing, only time will tell.
Old May 1, 2006, 5:49 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

You know, when Rogue spells it out like that, I pretty much agree with virtually everything he said... I just wouldn't have said it so harshly. But he brings up a number of valid points, and in my opinion, it's disheartening to see more Star Trek coming back so soon. Paramount doesn't seem to be able to see the long-term of the situation, and that's unfortunate for Star Trek's future.
Old May 1, 2006, 6:30 AM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

That's a bit of a sudden change of tune...

Old May 1, 2006, 9:26 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Not really. I mean, I'm hoping it's good and all, but even if it's the best damn Star Trek movie of all time, the public have really had enough at this point, and it's the public that they're trying to appeal to, not the die-hard fans. They'll watch it either way.
Old May 1, 2006, 1:10 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

I am with Danny and Rogue on this, Star Trek needs to rest, it's good to see a film, i will go see it. But after that it needs to die down for a few years.
Old May 1, 2006, 1:12 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Like Rogue said, it's a good idea to bury it in the ground until B&B have both copped it and someone competant arrives.

Old May 1, 2006, 5:27 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

B&B have copped it, as far as Paramount is concerned.
Old May 2, 2006, 4:26 AM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

I meant copped it as in gone to a better place if you know what I mean.

Old May 3, 2006, 3:09 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Well, as long as no-more damage is done, things should be ok in the future.
Old May 3, 2006, 7:26 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ross Hendrie
I meant copped it as in gone to a better place if you know what I mean.
I figured as much, but again, as far as Paramount is concerned, they have -- because I highly doubt they'll ever work on a Paramount-sanctioned Star Trek project ever again.

Originally Posted by Chris Britton
Well, as long as no-more damage is done, things should be ok in the future.
That's what we're all hoping for. I still feel it's too soon. I think 2010 would have been a better time to release new Star Trek, at the very earliest.
Old May 5, 2006, 7:55 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

I agree, it's still too soon, at least during the next decade.
Old October 12, 2006, 12:48 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Star Trek XI poster

Apparently there's a poster now out for Star Trek XI, which is set to premiere some time in 2008. No actual news on the plot of the movie aside from this:

July 22, 2006 - Will center on the early days of seminal "Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer space mission

Other than that, we just have the poster to go on. Thought I'd share it here.

Last edited by Danny Stewart; November 6, 2008 at 5:17 PM
Old October 13, 2006, 11:52 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Been out a while sorry mate, although im still quite divided on a new Star Trek movie, i am worried.
Old October 13, 2006, 12:07 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Im quite concerned about this.

If they do it skillfully, which I hope JJ Abrams can do, then id imagine it will be a resounding success.

I dont know though.

Old October 15, 2006, 4:55 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

i won;t go and see it at least, my faith in Star trek ahs been battered thanks to Enterprise.
Old October 18, 2006, 7:18 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I liked Enterprise. It's a shame so few people gave it a chance. But I do think J.J. Abrams can do a good job -- we'll have to wait and see, but I'll certainly give it a chance! Hopefully it'll be just the breath of Star Trek fresh air we all need!
Old October 19, 2006, 7:46 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

If it does for Star Trek what Batman Begins did for it's franchise i would be relieved