DannyStewart.com Forums

Go Back   DannyStewart.com Forums > General Discussion > Entertainment World

Old October 18, 2007, 9:26 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Oh definatley. Generations had it's best moments near the end when the Enterprise arrived at Veridian III. While Insurrection sort of started well, slowed down and picked up again, Nemisis was really only good at the space battle and when Data died. Star Trek I just took too long and seemed so slow. And in regards to Star Trek V the less said the better. Kirk vs God was just OTT for me, but thats what happens with Shatner directs >.>
Old October 18, 2007, 9:56 AM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

I and V did suck. Generations was sort of ok but it was probably on par with Nemesis, which was such a disappointment. All the good character developing scenes were cut. Insurrection was ok but it did kinda suck at bits. First Contact is the best of the lot of them.

Old October 22, 2007, 3:54 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

I know you probably know this already. but last week saw the conformation of two more cast members.

The first one is the announcement that Chris Pine will be stepping into the boots of James T Kirk. This ends the speculation about who will be playing the Starfleet Captain, with rumors about Matt Damon filling the role.

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...e/2310413.html

The other news is that the role of Doctor McCoy has also been filled. By Lord of the Rings actor Karl Urban, famed for playing Eomer in the hit troligy. Although it was believed Gary Sinse was the fornt runner for the spot. Karl urbans announcement comes at seemingly quick notice.

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...e/2310434.html

besides casting details, there have been no further news regarding the film thus far. The current speculation is about who may be playing Christopher Pike, the first Captain of the Enterprise. No-one has been linked to the role, also no further news regarding if William Shatner will appear as an older Kirk.

EDIT: I just realised that Pike was not the first Captain of the Enterprise, it was indeed Robert April. my mistake.

Last edited by Chris Britton; October 22, 2007 at 7:52 AM Reason: mistake in cannon
Old October 22, 2007, 5:27 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I'm very interested to see what this movie will be like. The involvement of Christopher Pike has my interest piqued.
Old October 22, 2007, 7:46 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Indeed. because we only ever saw him twice and I would love to see if there was some rivally between him and Kirk. im also glad that they have someone who likes the franchise directing instead of a guy who does not know what trek is all about.
Old October 22, 2007, 10:22 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Absolutely. The movie is sounding like it will shape up to be quite good.
Old October 23, 2007, 3:23 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Especially given what the general opinion was when this was announced. Then again, I am worried it will be a bomb and the franchise has a sad funeral. =(
Old October 23, 2007, 3:25 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Well, you have to be in two minds about this. While it's true that if this movie fails it will mark the end of Star Trek for a very long time, I think it stands a good chance for success. Be optimistic (and it's not often I advise that!).
Old October 23, 2007, 3:52 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Oh definatley. They seem to be knwoing what they are doing. In fact I think picking a time before TOS launched is a good idea. As thats probably the least exploded part of the Star trek universe between ENT and VOY. They have a lot more to play with.

You ought to play the optimism card a bit more Danny
Old October 23, 2007, 4:06 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chris Britton View Post
Oh definatley. They seem to be knwoing what they are doing. In fact I think picking a time before TOS launched is a good idea. As thats probably the least exploded part of the Star trek universe between ENT and VOY. They have a lot more to play with.
I agree. This is why I'm hopeful.

You ought to play the optimism card a bit more Danny
Not too sure about that.
Old October 25, 2007, 7:58 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Maybe mindless optimism then

Actually. If JJ Abrams can create a TV show like lost, in depth and with a lot of action and twists and turns. Then we might get a very good film. Batman Begins did set a good standard though in terms of film reluanches I feel.
Old October 26, 2007, 5:29 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Hopefully, the pace will be a lot quicker than LOST. The content of three seasons of LOST could easily be compacted into one. Meaning unless there's a giant team of editors we're looking at a six hour film.

Also, if this movie fails, I think ST is finished.

Old October 26, 2007, 5:33 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ross Hendrie View Post
Hopefully, the pace will be a lot quicker than LOST. The content of three seasons of LOST could easily be compacted into one. Meaning unless there's a giant team of editors we're looking at a six hour film.

Also, if this movie fails, I think ST is finished.
Somebody OD'd on the pessimism pills today.
Old November 5, 2007, 10:41 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

:p I agree. Ross, I recommend you take some stay alert pills.

A 6 hour Trek film, anyone fancy an all day trek film marathon?
Old November 5, 2007, 11:18 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

A 6 hour Trek film, anyone fancy an all day trek film marathon?
I watched Undiscovered Country and Generations back to back a few days ago.
Old November 5, 2007, 7:01 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Might i ask what is the opinion of them back to back? Since I have not actually done that and Generations was handing the torch over so to speak.

i did watch the Wars/trek marathon on Sky movies mind.
Old November 5, 2007, 10:26 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Might i ask what is the opinion of them back to back? Since I have not actually done that and Generations was handing the torch over so to speak.
I'd say it was quite enjoyable. Watching The Undiscovered Country put me in the mood to watch Generations, and back to back they were quite good. I found myself missing the TOS cast, though, to be honest.
Old November 16, 2007, 5:51 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

I guess seeing them all move on does being back a lot of feelings I guess

Also, sorry for the weeks absense, the University network went down and as such Firefox was unavaliable, and I had deleted Internet Explorer months back

The latest news to come about the Movie seems to be more good news, further cast details have appeared, firstly is the casting of Chris Pike, who is played by relativley unknown actor Bruce Greenwood.

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...e/2311693.html

The second is the casting of Spocks mother, Amanda, who has had been portayed in TOS, this time it is played by one of the most popular and bankable actresses of the 90's, Winona Ryder. Despite her career taking a lull in the early part of this decade, she has begun to make a comaback via Star Trek.

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...e/2312444.html

More updates to follow later.

EDIT: Have moved all subsequent posts into thier own topic so this one does not go off topic. Please check general discussion for all relvent posts about Internet explorer.

Last edited by Chris Britton; November 17, 2007 at 10:51 AM
Old April 18, 2008, 8:45 AM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

I know it's been bloody ages since I updated this last, but according to Karl Urban

There is a level of security and secrecy that we have all been forced to adopt. I mean, it's really kind of paranoid crazy, but sort of justified. We're not allowed to walk around in public in our costumes and we have to be herded around everywhere in these golf carts that are completely concealed and covered in black canvas. The security of it is immense. You feel your freedom is a big challenge."
And i've not been able to find much to comment about, besides the film being pushed back to May 8th to apparently avoid competition from films like X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Angels & Demons, something i can't really understand as both of them are out in the same month..

But still, how are people feeling about the move? Any opinions on that teaser trailer up on the official website?
Old April 18, 2008, 11:04 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

That quote is months old.

All the news and information you could want is available here: http://www.trekmovie.com