1/10 - Unwatchable 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 10, 2006, 5:59 PM
MI7 (Offline)
Pex Lives

Torchwood 1x09 - "Random Shoes"

Plot Synopsis
When Eugene wakes up and finds himself (a) dead and (b) invisible to the rest of the world, he knows something has gone rather wrong. Eugene knows there's only one person he can rely on to discover the truth behind his death: Gwen Cooper.

Episode written by Jacquetta May

Last edited by Jez; December 10, 2006 at 6:03 PM Reason: Added episode writer
Old December 10, 2006, 6:19 PM
MI7 (Offline)
Pex Lives

Can't put what I want to in post one so I gotta make another one to put my episode thoughts lol .

Reasonably good I thought - though this was just Love & Monsters, Torchwood style; wasn't it? Good to see Converse making another appearance, next time they'll have to give them supporting actor credit - someone at BBC Wales costume dept. really loves those things.

+10 bonus points if you spotted the bolt gun from The Satan Pit.
Old December 11, 2006, 2:17 PM
Doodah (Offline)

Personally this episode didn't get me at all. I have given all previous Torchwood episodes preceding this a high rating, this episode is my first under 5 scoring a measly 2. It really bored me actually and I found myself wishing afterwards that I had watched Match of the Day 2 instead on BBC2. Normally the episodes with less action sequences in have a decent story line so I am still hooked on them. This had neither. Some things really didn't make any sense. We didn't really find out what happened to Eugene, why he was invisible and yet miraculously became very solid to save Gwens life, and how Gwen seemed to hear half of what Eugene was saying and seemed to know that he was there, yet other times he was completely ignored. Dissapointing episode for me. Won't stop me watching next weeks though.
Old December 11, 2006, 2:34 PM
MI7 (Offline)
Pex Lives

Originally Posted by Doodah View Post
We didn't really find out what happened to Eugene, why he was invisible and yet miraculously became very solid to save Gwens life, and how Gwen seemed to hear half of what Eugene was saying and seemed to know that he was there, yet other times he was completely ignored.
Eugene stayed as a ghost at first because he ate the alien eye and the technology somehow allowed him to project himself after death. He became solid and saved Gwen at the end because he didn't know why he was still there after the eye was taken out of him - then he found out, his purpose in still being there to save Gwens' life. The moral was that no matter how pointless your life may seem like Eugene (all through the episode people we saying he was useless and his life was pointless), you always have a purpose - in his case, saving Gwens' life.
Old December 11, 2006, 7:24 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I'm somewhat surprised to see that this episode has garnered such low ratings. I just watched it and I have no hesitation about giving it a strong 9/10. I thought it was a well-written and particularly well-acted, poignant, and moving episode, and it saddens me to see that when an episode with true emotion in it and a poignant message behind it comes along, people don't appreciate it.
Old December 12, 2006, 9:56 AM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

I can't vote just yet, haven't seen it, but I've been taking up notes, so thanks.
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!
Old December 12, 2006, 12:40 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I hate it when people read episode threads before they see the episode.
Old December 13, 2006, 5:03 AM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

but I've kept away from anything revealing though
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!
Old December 13, 2006, 12:23 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

You can't know what's revealing without reading it!
Old December 13, 2006, 2:23 PM
Bajoran Rogue (Offline)

I've not seen a few episodes, has the dead guy turned up before, or is he just in the one episode and so no one to care about?
Old December 13, 2006, 5:11 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
I'm somewhat surprised to see that this episode has garnered such low ratings. I just watched it and I have no hesitation about giving it a strong 9/10. I thought it was a well-written and particularly well-acted, poignant, and moving episode, and it saddens me to see that when an episode with true emotion in it and a poignant message behind it comes along, people don't appreciate it.
lol I thought exactly the same about the Doctor Who episode, I think it was the seventh of season 2, which everyone hated.

So anyways, I liked this episode, I thought it was really one of the best so far, although my vote sort of doesn't reflect that.

Also Rogue, this is the first time we've seen him to my knowledge so yeah just this episode.

Old December 13, 2006, 7:37 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bajoran Rogue View Post
I've not seen a few episodes, has the dead guy turned up before, or is he just in the one episode and so no one to care about?
No, this is Eugene's first and only episode.

Originally Posted by Ross Hendrie View Post
lol I thought exactly the same about the Doctor Who episode, I think it was the seventh of season 2, which everyone hated.
You're probably referring to the tenth episode, "Love & Monsters." People have compared this Torchwood to that DW, but I hated "Love & Monsters" and I wholeheartedly enjoyed this. I blame it all on the Abzorbaloff. I enjoyed the first two-thirds of the episode, until Victor Kennedy revealed himself as the Abzorbaloff. It all sucked after that point. I have watched it a few more times with friends, and my friends have all disliked it as much as me and it's physically painful to have to sit through the final third of the episode.
Old December 14, 2006, 4:29 AM
Ronnie Rowlands (Offline)
Look who's back!

Wow, I can remember all the arguing that went on after that episode I was one of the people who liked it
Old December 14, 2006, 8:24 AM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Yeah I thought that episode was good too, it's a mystery as to why everyone hated and went as far as to turn the TV off before the end of the episode.

Old December 14, 2006, 2:58 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I just explained myself... why does no one seem to read these posts anymore?
Old December 14, 2006, 5:32 PM
Jez (Offline)
Snizzel ma Wizzel

I didn't like that episode either. The only aspect of it that was any good, as far as I was concerned, was the fact that rather than being with the Doctor, we were looking for him, until he came and found us (which was an awesome moment).

Back to Torchwood - I was enthralled by this episode, but it could have been worse. I lost the plot a lot of the time although that might have been due to the fact that I had only been home from work for 15 minutes (late night).

He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt him it was really quite hypnotic.

*Officially the most likeable person since the last one*
Closed Thread