1/10 - Unwatchable 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 23, 2007, 12:16 PM
Marinedalek (Offline)
a.k.a. Pete

Doctor Who 3x12 - "The Sound of Drums"

Plot Summary - Written by Russell T Davies
Harry Saxon is about to become the UK's new Prime Minister. But his plans for the future involve domination of the entire world...

Last edited by Marinedalek; June 23, 2007 at 2:03 PM
Old June 23, 2007, 3:20 PM
Jez (Offline)
Snizzel ma Wizzel

I love John Simm.

He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt him it was really quite hypnotic.

*Officially the most likeable person since the last one*
Old June 23, 2007, 5:19 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

cracking episode, sad in parts and scaty in others, nice way to get the 3 heros home soon too
Old June 23, 2007, 5:46 PM
Ronnie Rowlands (Offline)
Look who's back!

Absolutely loved it. I had to watch it on tape because I was doing the last night of the show when it aired. Saw the first 5 minutes on a monitor, Phil Collinson's name came up at the start and Kevin shouted "oh that's my boss that is" then various other things about the cast.

John Simm is excellent, because he's FUNNY! A funny master is just what we needed. 10/10
Old June 23, 2007, 6:02 PM
Marinedalek (Offline)
a.k.a. Pete

I must say I enjoyed this episode. I'm going to predict that Danny either loathes this episode because the Master wasn't played seriously, or love it because he's now all the more threatening and effectively using the 4th Doctor's tactics of being silly to throw everyone off guard....
Old June 23, 2007, 6:10 PM
Hamster (Offline)
Renegade Master

Absolutely loved it! The serious fan in me adored the fantastic storyline and acting, and the hormonal fangirl in me wet herself over so much John Simm

http://www.dannystewart.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=542&dateline=11822713  94
Banner created by Flip of the Railway Arms forum
Old June 23, 2007, 6:13 PM
MickJo (Offline)

8/10

As your know, In nuWho we generally only get few, short examples of continuity between the classic and new series not to alienate new fans, so the backstory of the Master and the scenes on Gallifrey were a treat to see.

Simm as the Master was a bit dissapointing for me, in Utopia he was superb, but this week, the eccentricity and humor over-powered the sheer evilness of the character. I would love to have seen him as the mirror of David Tennant's character, as ruthless and twisted as Delgado or Ainley.
Old June 23, 2007, 10:19 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Excellent episode this week -- a strong 9/10 from me.

Originally Posted by Jez View Post
I love John Simm.
Indeed. He's a great Master -- my concerns after last week have been laid to rest.

Originally Posted by Chris Britton View Post
cracking episode, sad in parts and scaty in others, nice way to get the 3 heros home soon too
Home? I hope you're not suggesting that the Doctor's home is Earth...

Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowlands View Post
John Simm is excellent, because he's FUNNY! A funny master is just what we needed. 10/10
I agree. I quite like John Simm and his portrayal (and the writing) of the Master this week.

Originally Posted by Marinedalek View Post
I must say I enjoyed this episode. I'm going to predict that Danny either loathes this episode because the Master wasn't played seriously, or love it because he's now all the more threatening and effectively using the 4th Doctor's tactics of being silly to throw everyone off guard....
I'm not really polarized to one side or the other. However I will say that I had my concerns about John Simm as the Master, but they are no more. I'd say Russell T Davies is writing the Master just right, and Simm is certainly the man for the job. I liked a lot of this Master's behavior and lines, so I'd say he's doing well so far!

Originally Posted by MickJo View Post
As your know, In nuWho we generally only get few, short examples of continuity between the classic and new series not to alienate new fans, so the backstory of the Master and the scenes on Gallifrey were a treat to see.
Agreed -- the Gallifrey scenes (especially seeing properly dressed Time Lords) were a thing of beauty!

Originally Posted by MickJo View Post
Simm as the Master was a bit dissapointing for me, in Utopia he was superb, but this week, the eccentricity and humor over-powered the sheer evilness of the character. I would love to have seen him as the mirror of David Tennant's character, as ruthless and twisted as Delgado or Ainley.
Heh, it's funny -- I didn't like Simm in Utopia, but he's turned things around for The Sound of Drums, at least for me. I quite like this version of the Master. He's almost psychopathically mad, but has a boyish sort of quality to him as well. Pete compared him to the Fourth Doctor above, and I can see that. Overall, I think it's the right quality for a 2007 Master.
Old June 24, 2007, 5:02 AM
Ronnie Rowlands (Offline)
Look who's back!

I agree about the gallifrey scenes, loved them. Even caught a glimpse of the seal of rassilon! But yeah, the timelord dress was excellent.
Old June 24, 2007, 1:37 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

It was quite good, though the whole "end of the world" plotline seemed a bit uninspiring to me for some reason. John Simm played the Master well, I liked his performance, and his choice of companions.

Also, im afraid I have to point out that those weapons would've shreaded Martha's car, not just bounce off or break the back window lol. But meh.

And what to make of next week's episode... was that a considerably older Captain Jack?

Old June 24, 2007, 1:57 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ross Hendrie View Post
Also, im afraid I have to point out that those weapons would've shreaded Martha's car, not just bounce off or break the back window lol. But meh.
Those are GB36S's. And they were just extraordinarily bad shots, as most Doctor Who military types are.
Old June 24, 2007, 2:24 PM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

Oh this was a great, FANTASTIC episode, it's already looking like the best season finale ever...not just Doctor Who, but for every show in existence. John Simm's Master was hilarious, but at the same time had a "very real" sense of madness and evilness (so, does this mean he's had that drumming all of his lifes, even in his Roger Delgado incarnation?). I loved how unbelievably uncaring he was towards anything that got in his way. And the way he used the Tardis, horrible...WHICH WAS BRILLIANT!!!
Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
Heh, it's funny -- I didn't like Simm in Utopia, but he's turned things around for The Sound of Drums, at least for me. I quite like this version of the Master. He's almost psychopathically mad, but has a boyish sort of quality to him as well. Pete compared him to the Fourth Doctor above, and I can see that. Overall, I think it's the right quality for a 2007 Master.
HE EVEN HAD JELLY BABIES!!!! Again,. I was so shocked when I saw him age the Doctor 130 years, my only problem with that is that the 4th Doctor was aged in a similar way in "The Leasure Hive", and he looked like a similar age as the "aged" 10th Doctor, yet the 4th was apparently aged by around 450 years.
So far, this is looking set to be the best ever Doctor Who serial, and I'm even counting the classic series. Here's hoping that next weeks gripping finale is exactly that, gripping.
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!
Old June 24, 2007, 3:29 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Sorry, typo Danny, I guess because The Doctors spends a lot of time at Earth. There was that period in the 70's where he was exiled to Earth, and the original run did start with The Doctor in exile on Earth. So technically speaking he could consider earth a home, or a second home But I see your point.

What I really loved was those flashbacks of Galifrey and the Temple of the Time Lords (I think that was it's name). I brought back some memories of some recorded episodes I saw and I thought the costumes were quite true to lore.

trivia for you: This episode marked the first time that we have seen a black time Lord on screen
Old June 24, 2007, 4:12 PM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

In Logopolis, the 4th Doctor states Earth as his "home away from home".
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!
Old June 24, 2007, 4:16 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Indeed and he is quite fond of Humans too
Old June 24, 2007, 8:56 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

An immediate 10/10 from me.

When I first saw "Castrovalva" I learned just how bad The Master really was, and this episode reinforced it. Simm's Master is incredible, he's funny and totally evil... well, either that or totally insane.
Our heroes are really in a pickle now. I can't wait to see the next one. But what's going to happen to The Doctor...? I thought David Tennant was going to stay on at least another year, from an article I read, but now it looks like there's nothing he can do but regenerate.

Anyway, an astounding episode. Can't wait for next week's.

Oh, and as for Utopia(the place, not the episode), they may explain it in the next episode or it may be shown next season.
Only problem I actually had with this episode was that I can't get that drumming noise out of my head...
Old June 24, 2007, 9:48 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Superkid11 View Post
But what's going to happen to The Doctor...? I thought David Tennant was going to stay on at least another year, from an article I read, but now it looks like there's nothing he can do but regenerate.
I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion, but relax. Regeneration is far from the only option, and David Tennant will be back next year, and hopefully many more to come.

Originally Posted by Superkid11 View Post
Only problem I actually had with this episode was that I can't get that drumming noise out of my head...
I prescribe a strict regimen of listening to the Doctor Who theme over and over again. As many different versions as possible (except Keff's) as frequently as possible until you have that stuck in your head instead. (Actually the drumming noise was based on the Doctor Who theme, so it might just make your problem worse.)
Old June 25, 2007, 12:55 AM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

Speaking of which, I saw the trailer for "The Infinite Quest", and... I thought the version of the theme that played while it was going was a fan-made remix? I heard it on episodes of "Professor What", and I saw a DW tribute video that played it that I remember saying it was from whomix.
Old June 25, 2007, 2:10 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Nope -- that's the Orbital version of the theme. It's called "Doctor?" and was released on their album The Altogether.
Old June 25, 2007, 6:41 AM
Jez (Offline)
Snizzel ma Wizzel

And played live regularly when they were still going.

Imagine that, going to a festival, standing in a field, jumping up and down the to the DW theme....

He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt him it was really quite hypnotic.

*Officially the most likeable person since the last one*
Closed Thread