DannyStewart.com Forums

Go Back   DannyStewart.com Forums > General Discussion > Entertainment World

Closed Thread

Old June 15, 2005, 11:30 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

The new Star Wars movie

Okay, folks, it's time to stir up some controversy. A couple weeks ago, I went to New York on a miniature vacation with my family. While there, I saw the new Star Wars movie on the biggest screen in Manhattan. I'm sure you all are eager to hear what I thought of it, and I'm afraid you all are going to be disappointed. I walked in there hoping, even expecting, to like it. I finally decided to reconcile my problems with Star Wars. Hell, if I liked it, I was fully prepared to get into it, buy all the DVDs, and start learning what I've been missing out on. But I walked away disappointed. The special effects were absolutely dazzling, and they were the best part of the movie. I enjoyed many, but not all, of the special effects sequences. As far as the plot went, it was convoluted and, at points, a bit difficult to follow. And then there's the acting, if it can be called acting. Acting? What acting? The acting in that movie was atrocious. Absolutely atrocious. I can't begin to say how disappointed I was in the level of acting ability throughout the whole movie.

Overall, I was terribly disappointed by the whole movie. And it wasn't that I walked in expecting to hate it. I walked in there, in all honesty, expecting to fall in love with Star Wars. I walked out disliking it more than I can ever remember disliking it. On a five scale, I'd give it a two out of five, and that's being generous. And that brings me to my last issue. Across the country, people -- and by people I mean average, ordinary people (not science fiction fans) -- obsess over seeing Star Wars on opening day, missing out on school or work, and then bragging to their friends about how they saw the first showtime of the day. If I were to walk into school and say "I saw the new Star Wars movie yesterday," the reaction I would get from everyone would be "oh, cool, wasn't that a great movie" or "I haven't seen it yet but I've already got my tickets, I can't wait." But if I walked into school and said "I saw the new Star Trek movie," people would look at me, roll their eyes and say, "oh, yeah, you're a Trekkie, aren't you." That's just disgusting. Star Trek is much higher quality science fiction. So much more effort goes into it as far as acting and writing. And yet Star Wars is the national phenomenon. I guess it just goes to show how the minds of the masses in America today work.

So there you have it, folks. I gave Star Wars a fair chance, and it failed to deliver. And I won't soon be giving it another.
Old June 16, 2005, 2:52 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

I must say I disagree, not about the different reactions for Star Wars and Star Trek, I agree there. However, about the film, I thought that the acting was good, I didn't really notice anything. The plot was great, however I can see why it would be confusing to people who haven't seen the other 5 films, especially Eps I and II(about 5 times over in their cases).

I thought it was a worthy film to conclude the Star Wars Saga, an excellent piece of work, as evidenced by the fact that ive seen it three times lol.

Old June 16, 2005, 2:55 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Ross, and if it makes you happy, then by all means, go for it. But I never really saw the attraction to Star Wars, and seeing this movie finally told me why I never saw it. So for me, for now, I'm staying away from Star Wars once again.
Old June 16, 2005, 3:07 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

LOL I cant wait until Max arrives, this is going to be one heated discussion.

Old June 16, 2005, 3:14 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Yes, I mainly posted this for Max's reaction, LOL.
Old June 16, 2005, 3:51 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

I thought it was a great film. The best i have seen in a long while. since Empire Strikes Back. i did feel Ep1 and 2 were dissappointing. Not the worst films ever, but it was not what we would define Star Wars as. The effects were fantastic and the battles were amazing. Escepailly the opening battle and the Anakin/Obi wan duel. the only thing i was dissappointed one was the Palpitine/Yoda battle. It was just too short and quick for me. But i loved the film. It made up for the earier two. It was not the best one fo the lot. But good enough, a worthy conclusion.
Old June 16, 2005, 3:58 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

If you say so, Chris. I still didn't enjoy it that much.
Old June 16, 2005, 4:59 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Then that is your choice. , i will not argue with you and you should follow your own ideas. Fair play to you for expressing how you feel.
Old June 16, 2005, 5:02 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

At least we can talk about Doctor Who still!
Old June 16, 2005, 5:14 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Yes, here here!
Old June 22, 2005, 9:11 PM
Max Yittreas (Offline)

"If you will not be turned, you will be destroyed..."

Fighter Command, Executive Officer, Red Leader and Special Services Liason Officer
U.S.S. Tetryon

Best One-Liner in Star Trek history:
"You son of a bitch."--Dr. Lucas
"Actually, mother was a chemist."--Dr. Soong

98% of the teenage population smokes or has smoked pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
Old June 22, 2005, 9:15 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

LOL. I got that. There's not many things like that I would get normally, but I did get that one.
Old June 24, 2005, 7:52 PM
Max Yittreas (Offline)

I know what the problem was. You went in blind. You cannot see the prequels without having at least seen the Original Trilogy.

Fighter Command, Executive Officer, Red Leader and Special Services Liason Officer
U.S.S. Tetryon

98% of the teenage population smokes or has smoked pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
Old June 24, 2005, 7:58 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

That's probably it. I did see the original trilogy though. But I was only seven or eight years old.
Old June 24, 2005, 8:10 PM
Max Yittreas (Offline)

If saw it as a youngling you did, count it does not.

U.S.S. Tetryon

Old June 24, 2005, 11:12 PM
David Carter (Offline)

Yeah, I think you should see the first (original) 3 before you make any judgements. They were by far, the best out of all 6. And I have to agree with you on some parts Danny. I didnt think it was as good as it could have been. The acting was fine, it was the dialog that was pretty bad. And I guess the fact that everyone knew what would happen kinda ruined it. If it was a new saga starting with ep 1, then the ending would be a little surprising (not so much since you could already tell that he was evil from ep 2). I think they should have made the switch to the dark side more drastic than it was. Like, have Anakin be as innocent as he was in the first ep. Up until the final moments before he turns. And as a film maker, what irked me the most was the different transitions between every freakin' ten second scene. lol. They used a different one like every time. And the scenes were like each ten seconds long, then they went to another scene for ten seconds, then they went back for ten seconds, etc. I guess part of the reason I didnt think that much of it was because it had been hyped up on TV and at school so much that i thought i would be seeing a masterpiece.

I still thought it was ok though. Nothing great, but surely not a bad movie.

(I review movies for my school and am a future movie producer/director, so that's another reason as to why the movie didnt do much for me)

Chief Of Operations
U.S.S. Tetryon
Old June 25, 2005, 12:17 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Yeah, the transitions bothered me too. And I-- wait a second, holy crap, it's DAVID CARTER!!! YOU'RE BACK!!! Where have you been and what are you doing back all of a sudden???
Old June 25, 2005, 4:44 PM
Chris Britton (Offline)
"My turn."

Dave! Nice to see you. Better post more mate.

I agree with what is said. Anakin should have had a more smooth and drastic changes, at the last minute. Not all that Raging Hormones you see in Episode 2. And i can tell that the Dialouge is not convincing. Lucas can't seem to pull that off. the Moive was good, no doubt, but not as good as the Origanal. But they should end everything there. I hard plans for 3 more moives, only a rumor, but i would say it is a bad idea.
Old June 25, 2005, 6:29 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chris Britton
But they should end everything there. I hard plans for 3 more moives, only a rumor, but i would say it is a bad idea.
Agreed.
Old June 26, 2005, 10:19 AM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

No, not 3 more movies, they are making a Star Wars TV show. Apparently George Lucas want's it to be like Star Trek, but I don't understand what he's meaning.

Closed Thread