DannyStewart.com Forums

Go Back   DannyStewart.com Forums > Administrative Forums > News and Updates

View Poll Results: Should we make the forums invite only?
Yes, we should make the forums invite only 11 78.57%
No, we should not make the forums invite only 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 9, 2007, 2:55 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Make the forums invite only?

We recently had a rather severe breach of security on the site, where I said some things I shouldn't have about a certain someone, and one of the newer members on the site who had made only one post saw what I said and decided that the right thing to do was to report me to that certain individual rather than come to me and perhaps recommend that they be taken down (which I would have gladly done).

The point is, this member should never have been allowed on the site. We get a lot of members on here who just come in and do nothing, or make a post then disappear, and we know nothing about these people. I'm a bit paranoid after this incident, and so, to increase security on the site and make the community a more knowing and trusting place, Ross has suggested to me that we might want to make the community so that people can join by invite only, having someone already on the site vouch for them and allow them in. It would make this site more exclusive and friendly, cut down on unwanted traffic, and keep the site safe from prying eyes.

I personally don't think this is a bad idea, but I wanted to gauge the existing members' reaction to such a plan. Do you think it's a good idea to restrict site access to existing members and people that existing members are allowed to invite?
Old May 9, 2007, 2:58 PM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Although it's a bit drastic, judging by the breach of security you described to me on GoogleTalk, I believe it would be wise.

Old May 9, 2007, 2:59 PM
Dalek104 (Offline)

I think it'd be better. Less mess to clean up and a fine community.
Old May 9, 2007, 3:02 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

I agree. As I said in my original post, we can speak more freely on here if we know everyone who's here. It'll make the forums a friendly and more tightly-knit community.
Old May 9, 2007, 3:02 PM
robertbeare

I think this would save time on having to meet and greet many new members and that we never see again , i think yes the site should be made invite only !
Old May 9, 2007, 3:04 PM
Ronnie Rowlands (Offline)
Look who's back!

I'm not gonna vote. Because although what you said was right, it would only be existing members friends who would join from now on. If this had been the case a year ago, we wouldn't have such members as myself, Tom, RV, Dalek, Ben, or anyone else for that matter.
Old May 9, 2007, 3:14 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

True, but when in the last six months have we gotten a new member who actually contributed something truly unique to the community, and was a pleasure to have around?
Old May 9, 2007, 3:28 PM
Look who's back!

Well, none in the last six months. And I believe I was the only permanent new member of 2005. But last year, we got Tom, Dalek, RV, Ben, Jez, Sontaran of Brunei, Stutomo and Doodah, and while a couple don't post often, they do still contribute a lot when they do. Maybe this year we'll get a few other new permanent members. We have to keep registration open. Otherwise, what happens when some of us leave?
Old May 9, 2007, 4:04 PM
Superkid11 (Offline)
Bang.

I totally understand that kind of paranoia and I approve, but remember... I knew absolutely none of you when I first joined and I turned out to be a pretty good guy. (At least I hope I did...)

I like this place, I guess it just wouldn't be the same if it was really highly populated and talkative... not to mention it'd drive Danny's server up the wall. At least it gets posts often. My forum's totally dead. (I won't bother saying more about it. Tis just a cheap invisionfree forum.)

I happen to be a co-admin of yet another tight-nit community but it's not as lighthearted as Danny Stewart... you'd get that impression but there are seriously bad things going on underneath it all... a very mistrustful co-admin that happens to be the root admin's girlfriend that tends to copy people and get away with it and makes a big deal out of it when her deeds are mentioned. Oh and to tie it all off there's a guy there that's a bit like RV. It's a time bomb of a forum... I weaseled myself into adminship there to try to keep things peaceful. I like Dannystewart.com 'cause it doesn't have these weird issues.

Last edited by Superkid11; May 9, 2007 at 4:10 PM
Old May 9, 2007, 4:21 PM
MI7 (Offline)
Pex Lives

Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowlands View Post
Well, none in the last six months. And I believe I was the only permanent new member of 2005. But last year, we got Tom, Dalek, RV, Ben, Jez, Sontaran of Brunei, Stutomo and Doodah, and while a couple don't post often, they do still contribute a lot when they do. Maybe this year we'll get a few other new permanent members. We have to keep registration open. Otherwise, what happens when some of us leave?
That is a good point.

Maybe we should have one forum where guests can post in and introduce themselves, and if they seem nice and active, they can be allowed to create an account? It's a flawed idea at the moment but it could work in practice.
Old May 9, 2007, 5:52 PM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

We already have such a forum. max_headroom seemed nice and active from his first post.
Old May 10, 2007, 1:05 AM
Recurring Villain (Offline)
biggus dickus

Originally Posted by Danny Stewart View Post
True, but when in the last six months have we gotten a new member who actually contributed something truly unique to the community, and was a pleasure to have around?
We have the eloquent and intelligent Daryl, Robert, Sam Davies and Co.! How could you ever forget about them, Danny? Shame on you!

Originally Posted by Daryl Jones View Post
The new users who aren't active, ban them.
Ban this guy and his friends, too.

Seriously. Just do it.

Not at all benevolent dictator and I don't need to sign my posts cause my name is up there at the top.
Old May 10, 2007, 5:35 AM
Ben Dawson (Offline)
... Bazinga!

It's a tough concept, true, it would make it safer around here, but it would restrict possible active members...but, times change, we can't sit back and hope that the way things once were are gonna come round again, the Tetryon days are over (although I wasn't a part of it, I'm pretty sure it was a damn good time).
Think of it this way, if Doctor Who was still like the classic series now, would it have lasted this long? I don't think so, I think kids would have thought of it as a joke and just moved on, but no, it changed, adapted for a new generation, and that is what's needed here if we are to survive peacefully.
=--=-=--=
|.|.|.|.|.\\>---◖
|●...●...●\\
|●...●....●\\
|●...●.....●\\
|●...●......●\\
DOC-TOR WHO?!?!
Old May 10, 2007, 5:49 AM
Ross Hendrie (Offline)
Now let's have some fun!

Ronnie's point is the only reservation I had about suggesting such an idea. I dunno really, it is kinda valid.

Old May 10, 2007, 7:43 AM
Sam Davies (Offline)
Banned

This is a fantastic idea Danny. Great for keeping out all the one-dayers. <--another made up word.
Old May 10, 2007, 9:46 AM
Jez (Offline)
Snizzel ma Wizzel

I'm against this because closed communities have the tendency to die.

He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt him it was really quite hypnotic.

*Officially the most likeable person since the last one*
Old May 10, 2007, 10:30 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

If not this, then something else needs to be done. I'm open to suggestions.
Old May 10, 2007, 10:33 AM
Look who's back!

Grit your teeth and bare it is all I can reccomend.
Old May 10, 2007, 10:35 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

Daryl -- I responded to Tom's suggestion and reminded everyone that we already had such a forum, and it really didn't work as it is now.
Old May 10, 2007, 11:15 AM
Danny Stewart (Offline)
Administrator

No, it's okay, I'm just saying it doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Any ideas on how we could try and improve the system we have now?
Closed Thread